Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Here is todays SSDT that I thought was spot on but ended up canceling every USB port.

That's because you have set the "port count" to "0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00" instead of "0x18, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00"

If I use the USBPorts.kext, should the SSDT-EC.aml that was created at the same time be placed in ACPI>patched?

That depends. Official guidance is yes, install it. This is an Embedded Controller that a lot of motherboards need. My own Gigabyte Z370 does not, but hey-ho.

That's because you have set the "port count" to "0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00" instead of "0x18, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00"
D'OH! I had it set in an earlier iteration. I think that I have also made the USBports.kext work with the SSDT-EC.aml. I need to shut the crate down and remove the alternate drive to see if this is working. Will let you know.

That depends. Official guidance is yes, install it. This is an Embedded Controller that a lot of motherboards need. My own Gigabyte Z370 does not, but hey-ho.
Well, all the ports are working. The only bug is that the camera (tethered) does not connect to any of the USB3 ports on the back panel. The somewhat good news is that the camera does connect to the front USB ports. I'll take it for now. Three things: first; I hope not to put my hands in this computer case for a long time to come, second; I would like to thank you and @CaseySJ for all of the help you have given me and third, I hope to not have to bother either of you for a long time to come! Thanks again.

@UtterDisbelief, Ok well that was a little wishful thinking on my part. The system crashed and restarted after about five minutes. Report attached.

Attachments

• Crash.rtf.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 62
Ok, I switched out the the USB kext and installed the SSDT that you gave me the correction for and the ports function properly, I am getting 5gbs in all of the USB3 ports and the camera now connects with the rear panel USB3 ports. Now to see if the system crashes again.

@UtterDisbelief, Ok well that was a little wishful thinking on my part. The system crashed and restarted after about five minutes. Report attached.

Looking at the crash report I was surprised by the 3rd party kexts you are using. Especially since you are running Catalina 10.15.1.

Lots to point a finger at but as an example you shouldn't need Vulgo's NoVPAJpeg.kext with the latest Whatevergreen.

So many other 3rd-party kexts you need to check Catalina compatibility for.

Also doubt you need all the *beta* command-line switches with the release version of macOS.

HW Sensors might cause problems too. In fact they were the last loaded.

Hello. I was hoping to get some help with my USB3 issue. I have successfully created and installed the USBPorts.kext. When I open IORegistryExplorer, I see that I am under the 15 port limit. However, although the USB3 devices are being detected in in IORegistryExplorer when plugged in, they are not showing on the desktop. The USB2 devices are being detected and are showing on the desktop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is over my head. I've attached the debug files. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• debug_1389.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
Hello. I was hoping to get some help with my USB3 issue. I have successfully created and installed the USBPorts.kext. When I open IORegistryExplorer, I see that I am under the 15 port limit. However, although the USB3 devices are being detected in in IORegistryExplorer when plugged in, they are not showing on the desktop. The USB2 devices are being detected and are showing on the desktop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is over my head. I've attached the debug files. Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

It would be helpful if you could upload the IOReg export file from IORegistryExplorer v2.1 and a screengrab of the USB section of Hackintool.

What you've posted is fine, but your problem is unusual and I would need to dig deeper :thumbup:

Hi there.

It would be helpful if you could upload the IOReg export file from IORegistryExplorer v2.1 and a screengrab of the USB section of Hackintool.

What you've posted is fine, but your problem is unusual and I would need to dig deeper :thumbup:

Here they are.

Attachments

• LSam iMac.ioreg
    10.6 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.35.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 6.35.54 PM.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 71
Back