Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

Hello.

Sorry I can't help with Windows. It uses its own way of controlling USB ports and what you see might not be fully transferrable over to macOS, so I will stay clear of that.

Okay, you can see why your problem is occurring:

The location IDs of the ports are duplicated. Remember from the guide you should expect SS** ports to be after the HS** ports. You don't expect SS** ports to have the same location IDs as HS** ones.

This is why HS01 is associated with SS03.

You can also see SS01 and SS02 do exist, however SS02 is seen by macOS as being at the same location as the XHC controller (@14000000) and so appears as a hub.

So we need to correct this. But how to do it?

I would suggest you do some more testing. Use Hackintool to select and delete the HS ports HS09 to HS14 and export USBPorts.kext and the *.aml files.

I do not know what method you have used, but you can either use USBInjectAll.kext and the *.aml files OR USBPorts.kext only. Reboot and run IORegistryExplorer again to see how the XHC controller tree looks now.

Also check what 3rd-party kexts you have in EFI and L/E. You do not need FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext for example.

:)

P.S
I initially thought SS02 might be attached to bluetooth because there is a Broadcom Device ID in there. I can see you are using a USB wireless adapter (Ralink or MediaTek). Now I wonder if the HP wireless chip was Intel with Intel Bluetooth? Sometimes although wireless Intel will not work, BT does. There is no evidence I can see that bluetooth is attached to the EHCI controllers, BUT I am happy to be corrected as I don't have direct access to the machine! :)

Goodness knows why Google Chrome is attached to the XHC controller :crazy:
I delete the HS ports HS09 to HS14 and useless ports on EHCI (PR12-18 & PR22-26)
  • test1-USBPorts.kext
You can see that the locationID of SS has changed in IORegistryExplorer, but SS is still unavailable. PR11 and SS are no longer displayed in Hackintool, as shown in the figure
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.41.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.41.20 AM.png

• test2-USBInjectAll.kext and the * .aml files
The display in IORegistryExplorer is the same as test1. PR12-18 & PR22-26, which have been deleted in Hackintool, reappear, and SS is no longer displayed, as shown in the figure
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.53.16 AM.png

Looks like my laptop doesn't recognize 3.0 USB sticks accurately. I used kexts as shown in the figure, only in EFI / CLOVER / kexts, and not installed to L / E
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 1.47.40 AM.png

I delete the HS ports HS09 to HS14 and useless ports on EHCI (PR12-18 & PR22-26)
  • test1-USBPorts.kext
You can see that the locationID of SS has changed in IORegistryExplorer, but SS is still unavailable. PR11 and SS are no longer displayed in Hackintool, as shown in the figureView attachment 439339View attachment 439340
  • test2-USBInjectAll.kext and the * .aml files
The display in IORegistryExplorer is the same as test1. PR12-18 & PR22-26, which have been deleted in Hackintool, reappear, and SS is no longer displayed, as shown in the figure
View attachment 439341

Looks like my laptop doesn't recognize 3.0 USB sticks accurately. I used kexts as shown in the figure, only in EFI / CLOVER / kexts, and not installed to L / E
View attachment 439342

Okay that is good.

As you can see in IORegistryExplorer the SS ports now have correct location IDs.

You should always leave PR11 and PR21 in place.

SS01 might be being used by HP for some internal service. Sometimes you can see a port in IOReg but do not know where it is. (On my build it is HS10).

Also you have a lot of Broadcom bluetooth patches/kexts in place but you haven't told me what Bluetooth adapter you are using. However those kexts might be confusing macOS. I don't see anything to help me.

So plugging a USB3 device into an SS port still does not allow USB3 speeds?

Okay that is good.

As you can see in IORegistryExplorer the SS ports now have correct location IDs.

You should always leave PR11 and PR21 in place.

SS01 might be being used by HP for some internal service. Sometimes you can see a port in IOReg but do not know where it is. (On my build it is HS10).

Also you have a lot of Broadcom bluetooth patches/kexts in place but you haven't told me what Bluetooth adapter you are using. However those kexts might be confusing macOS. I don't see anything to help me.

So plugging a USB3 device into an SS port still does not allow USB3 speeds?
plugging a USB3 device into the SS port still does not allow USB3 speed. It can be said that the SS port does not recognize it at all and it still shows on the HS port.

Sorry for not providing valid Bluetooth adapter information. I don’t know how to check it. I don’t know if the information shown in the figure is useful.
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 3.34.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 3.41.45 AM.png

plugging a USB3 device into the SS port still does not allow USB3 speed. It can be said that the SS port does not recognize it at all and it still shows on the HS port.

Sorry for not providing valid Bluetooth adapter information. I don’t know how to check it. I don’t know if the information shown in the figure is useful.
View attachment 439346View attachment 439347

Hello.

Yes I could see the adapter in IORegistryExplorer but did not know what type of device it is. On-board card or a USB dongle? Etc. Both would use USB.

So none of your SS ports are recognised or working? Everything just shows up in HS** ?

Hello.

Yes I could see the adapter in IORegistryExplorer but did not know what type of device it is. On-board card or a USB dongle? Etc. Both would use USB.

So none of your SS ports are recognised or working? Everything just shows up in HS** ?
yep, none of SS ports are recognised or working. Everything just shows up in HS**. And I think the Bluetooth device is On-board card, I haven’t changed it, it ’s original laptop.

yep, none of SS ports are recognised or working. Everything just shows up in HS**. And I think the Bluetooth device is On-board card, I haven’t changed it, it ’s original laptop.

Does USB3 work properly in Windows?

How many USB3 ports does your laptop have?

Last edited:
Yeah, USB3 work properly in Windows. Like I showed in # 149 picture.

Yes, I saw that BUT Windows shows your DataTraveler stick is plugged into port number 16. It also shows the built-in webcam as using port 7 and the mouse as port 4.

I mean, how many physical USB3 ports does your laptop actually have?! Intel only provides 6x USB3 on the HM87 along with 8x USB2. There can be more USB2 because of the EHCI controller but that is understood.

This is not clear at all. I can only assume HP is doing some strange configuration here because none of it makes sense.

But why none of the USB ports will work in macOS escapes me. USBPorts.kext should fix this, but clearly it isn't doing.

Yes, I saw that BUT Windows shows your DataTraveler stick is plugged into port number 16. It also shows the built-in webcam as using port 7 and the mouse as port 4.

I mean, how many physical USB3 ports does your laptop actually have?! Intel only provides 6x USB3 on the HM87 along with 8x USB2. There can be more USB2 because of the EHCI controller but that is understood.

This is not clear at all. I can only assume HP is doing some strange configuration here because none of it makes sense.

But why none of the USB ports will work in macOS escapes me. USBPorts.kext should fix this, but clearly it isn't doing.
My laptop only have one physical USB3 ports,In the picture I labeled it Port1#. When I plugged in the USB 3.0 stick, Windows shows my DataTraveler stick is plugged into port number 16, and the MAC shows my DataTraveler stick is plugged into HS01. This is also something I cannot understand.
The help I want to seek has always been here. At first I always thought that the SS display was incorrect, Port16 seems like SS01. Later I realized that it was because of the same locationID. In fact, my USB3.0 has not been successfully identified by MAC.

My laptop only have one physical USB3 ports,In the picture I labeled it Port1#. When I plugged in the USB 3.0 stick, Windows shows my DataTraveler stick is plugged into port number 16, and the MAC shows my DataTraveler stick is plugged into HS01. This is also something I cannot understand.
The help I want to seek has always been here. At first I always thought that the SS display was incorrect, Port16 seems like SS01. Later I realized that it was because of the same locationID. In fact, my USB3.0 has not been successfully identified by MAC.

I am sorry this Beginner's Guide and my support has not helped you.

Back