Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

@elfcake

What we're saying is simply this:
  • At this time you're trying to enumerate the USB 2, USB 3, and USB C ports on the motherboard.
  • If the motherboard has two internal USB 2 headers, all internaldevices should be connected to one of those headers, and all external ports should be connected to a different header.
    • This allows us to set one of them to Type 255 (internal) and the other to Type 0 (external).
    • By doing this, sleep and wake should work properly.
    • So we should not mix internal and external devices onto the same USB port(s).
  • It should be very easy to enumerate the USB 2, USB 3, and USB C ports.
    • It took me about 30 minutes to go through them on the Designare Z390.
    • Just use IORegistryExplorer (for now, don't use Hackintool) to see which port lights up in green text when a device is connected.
  • So you might be overthinking this process! :)
Just post a list of all of your USB ports. For each port:
  • State whether it is USB 2, USB 3, or USB C.
  • Identify the approximate location of each port, for example:
    • Top left port on rear IO panel
    • Top middle port on rear IO panel
    • Front panel left port on PC case
    • Internal USB port on left USB header
    • Internal USB port on right USB header
  • Identify which USB 2 ports will connect to internal devices.
    • For example: Internal USB port on left USB header

Once you've done this I can create the USB SSDT for you in about 30 minutes.
@UtterDisbelief , I successfully created the USBPorts.kext. All the ports that were saved are operating. Unfortunately the hack still will not sleep with the ThunderBay4 attached and when I force sleep with the Apple dropdown menu and then wake with the keyboard or mouse, the system wakes and then restarts after 35 seconds due to kernel panic. So, nothing has changed other the the ports being whittled down to 15.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s the file. Open hackintool and look at the usb map so you can configure correctly.
Hi, I tried to learn how I can do this, but I don't know how I can.

@UtterDisbelief , I successfully created the USBPorts.kext. All the ports that were saved are operating. Unfortunately the hack still will not sleep with the ThunderBay4 attached and when I force sleep with the Apple dropdown menu and then wake with the keyboard or mouse, the system wakes and then restarts after 35 seconds due to kernel panic. So, nothing has changed other the the ports being whittled down to 15.

Hi there.

That's disappointing. Sadly, the Thunderbolt ports are on an add-on card on your motherboard so get treated in a specific way by macOS. I do not know why the Thunderbay 4 enclosure causes a kernel panic waking from sleep. It could be a power issue, but that's only a guess on my part.

Hi there.

That's disappointing. Sadly, the Thunderbolt ports are on an add-on card on your motherboard so get treated in a specific way by macOS. I do not know why the Thunderbay 4 enclosure causes a kernel panic waking from sleep. It could be a power issue, but that's only a guess on my part.
I chased this one down to a conflict with Catalina and the SoftRAID XT 5.8.1 driver. I installed the drive from 10.14.5 and all worked. Then I installed the USBPorts.kext and now everything is muddled. Back to the old SSDT and USBInjectAll.kext.

I added the USBInjectAll.kext, enabled Port Limit Patch for 10.14.5. I also updated the other kext with CCC and now I do not have any USB3 ports. I'm just about ready they an iMac. :(

Attachments

• Elfcake’s iMac.ioreg
    6.3 MB · Views: 43
Hi there.

@UtterDisbelief - I created another USBPorts.kext. I have the USB3 ports back on the back panel but not the from the front panel SS08.
SS08 has turned into AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation that had been USR2. Why did this happen?
I also replaced the newest AppleALC, WEG Lilu with the previous versions and I guess this is what gave me the ports on the back panel back. I probably need to find earlier ones to go with Clover r2.4 4092
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 5.51.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 5.48.57 PM.png

Last edited:
@UtterDisbelief - I created another USBPorts.kext. I have the USB3 ports back on the back panel but not the from the front panel SS08.
SS08 has turned into AppleUSBXHCI Root Hub Simulation that had been USR2. Why did this happen?
I also replaced the newest AppleALC, WEG Lilu with the previous versions and I guess this is what gave me the ports on the back panel back. I probably need to find earlier ones to go with Clover r2.4 4092
View attachment 439491View attachment 439492

1) I'd be surprised if AppleALC, WEG or Lilu had any effect on USB, but hey, you never know.

2) I'm confused at the two Hackintool screengrabs. Is the second one how things are now?

3) Upload the SSDT*.aml file you are using if there are still problems :thumbup:

Help. I tried to modified SSDT power management. I added the 3 Methods but the ports it's configured like the attached picture. IF - ELSE ... I don't understand how modify them, it's different by how I see in this thread.
Schermata 2019-12-09 alle 19.14.06.png

1) I'd be surprised if AppleALC, WEG or Lilu had any effect on USB, but hey, you never know.

2) I'm confused at the two Hackintool screengrabs. Is the second one how things are now?

3) Upload the SSDT*.aml file you are using if there are still problems :thumbup:
Here is todays SSDT that I thought was spot on but ended up canceling every USB port.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB.aml
    692 bytes · Views: 64
Here is todays SSDT that I thought was spot on but ended up canceling every USB port.

If I use the USBPorts.kext, should the SSDT-EC.aml that was created at the same time be placed in ACPI>patched?

Back