Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

No problem. Happy to help where I can.

This thread is for USB configuration using Hackintool so happy to work on that :thumbup:

Other X79 related stuff needs to go in the relevant forum to attract the help you need from people who know.

Okay. The EFI is fine. I can see the original EFI you used in there and the USBPorts.kext you've created is fine. You've disabled the Catalina port-limit removal patch.:thumbup:

Interestingly the PRT1 port is being configured elsewhere in the DSDT as originally coded by ASUS, which to me, points at that ROG Connect doobry.

Thanks for trying to remove the items I mentioned. Sorry they stopped boot. I think we have hit a barrier here in that the X79 and ASUS's implementation of the USB ports, is what may be affecting your power delivery - which was your original issue. It was never designed for macOS after all.

The only other experiments I can suggest (and remember I don't have access to an X79 motherboard) is to explore the BIOS and see if you can Disable the ASMedia USB3 controller. I wonder what difference that would make overall?

Sorry if all that is a bit vague, but you have already got everything well-sorted, within the parameters of your hardware. Even @shilohh didn't map USB or do anything other than add the FL1100 PCIe card.

:)
Thanks for the idea RE disablimng ASMedia controllers, will give it a try!

I'm happy with the progress we've made so think i will leave it here for now and revisit testing if any quirks surface as I use this build!

Thanks again for all your help :)

I've decided only to go a step at a time, so:

Just checking in on what my next steps should be as I feel that I should be creating a USBPorts.kext, but my EH01 & EH02 controllers don't show ports in Hackintool, so what can I even attempt to clean up?

Attachment shows my Open Core system with a config:

• USBPorts.kext set to false.
  • SSDT-EHCx_OFF set to false as if I don't my EHCI, EH01 & EH02 controllers do not respond. I can set SSDT-EHCx_OFF to true, but only if I outright disable my Intel Controllers in the Bios, then I loose EH01 & EH02 controllers.
  • XHCIPortlimit set to true.

thanks,
RDP

I'm still stuck with not knowing why my EH01 and EH02 don't show the ports, while the XHC does. Still reading and trying, but getting nowhere....

RDP

I'm still stuck with not knowing why my EH01 and EH02 don't show the ports, while the XHC does. Still reading and trying, but getting nowhere....

RDP

Hi there.

Check your BIOS settings for EHCI hand-off = Enabled.

Also check you do not have FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext installed. If so remove and rebuild caches.

If that makes no difference then run IORegistryExplorer v2.1 and export an *ioreg file. Upload it so we can check it. :thumbup:

I am lost trying to load this following the steps from the G551JW post. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-gl551jw-and-similar-via-hotpatching.234309/page-7. I have all the downloads but can’t seem to figure out how to limit the usb devices. My USB’s were working but not working after using the EFI/Clover data from the attached post.

This guide runs totally separately from any other. I can't tell you how to modify another guide to fit around it, sorry.

Having said that if you would rather directly edit the DSDT to configure your USB ports, you can, and we have a guide for that.:thumbup:

The basic outlines in this guide will help you configure your USB ports, but bear in mind if you are running a laptop you will have limited ports to work with. You will have both EHCI and XHCI controllers.

First step to see what you have to work with is to run Hackintool and check-out the USB panel. Take a screengrab and upload it here.

Last edited:
This guide runs totally separately from any other. I can't tell you how to modify another guide to fit around it, sorry.

Having said that if you would rather directly edit the DSDT to configure your USB ports, you can, and we have a guide for that.:thumbup:

The basic outlines in this guide will help you configure your USB ports, but bear in mind if you are running a laptop you will have limited ports to work with. You will have both EHCI and XHCI controllers.

First step to see what you have to work with is to run Hackintool and check-out the USB panel. Take a screengrab and upload it here.

Attached is my hackintool. I know this is a thread about the usb but my wifi is also not working, not sure if that is known or not. I made a thread with my model of laptop already but I keep flip flopping as far as compatiblility is concerned. I hope that I can at least get these two issues resolved. The usb worked and then it didn’t.

Attachments

• 9283F1D3-356C-40C7-BA5C-72F0A5E522AC.png
    9283F1D3-356C-40C7-BA5C-72F0A5E522AC.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
@evasiveinvasi0n The Hackintool USB tab image above shows the first 15 USB ports are being injected/activated. As far as I can see you haven't added any USB Port Limit patches to your config.plist. If you had all the ports available in the system would be showing as active, while you undertake the USB port discovery section in the guide.

You need to read and follow the instructions in post #1.

Little point telling people you have another thread running regarding your laptop, if you don't provide a link so we can see what is happening in the other thread.

@evasiveinvasi0n The Hackintool USB tab image above shows the first 15 USB ports are being injected/activated. As far as I can see you haven't added any USB Port Limit patches to your config.plist. If you had all the ports available in the system would be showing as active, while you undertake the USB port discovery section in the guide.

You need to read and follow the instructions in post #1.

Little point telling people you have another thread running regarding your laptop, if you don't provide a link so we can see what is happening in the other thread.
I got to the part with the patching and got stuck. Hence why I am posting

What do you mean you got stuck?

Do you have the correct USB Port Limit patches in your config.plist. There are patches for different versions of macOS. Which version are you using?

Do you have the USB rename patches in your config.plist. With a Haswell system you need three patches:
  • Change EHC1 to EH01
  • Change EHC2 to EH02
  • Change XHCI to XHC_
You need to have a copy of USBInjectAll.kext installed, preferably in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

After a reboot with these settings in place, you should be able to use Hackintool's USB tab to see all the possible Intel USB ports on your Asus Laptop, if that is the system you are trying to configure the USB ports on.

You then need to test each physical USB port, first with a USB 2.0 pen drive and then with a USB 3.0 pen drive. Note down what ports are shown in Green in the Hackintool USB Window when each port is tested.

Once you have tested all the USB ports, you need to delete/remove all the other non-green coloured ports from the Hackintool USB window, using the icon tools below the window. So you are left with just the active USB ports, this should include your Bluetooth module, if it is built-in and it is connected via USB. This should not account for more than 15 ports in total.

One thing that is really important is to make sure you have the correct Connection type logged against each port.
  1. USB 2 only ports on the exterior of the case need to be set as USB2 (0)
  2. USB 2 ports from a USB 3 physical port need to be set as USB3 (3)
  3. USB header/Internal ports such as for the built-in Bluetooth need to be set as Internal (255)
  4. USB 3 ports need to be set as USB3 (3)
Your Haswell system won't have any USB Type-C ports.

What do you mean you got stuck?

Do you have the correct USB Port Limit patches in your config.plist. There are patches for different versions of macOS. Which version are you using?

Do you have the USB rename patches in your config.plist. With a Haswell system you need three patches:
  • Change EHC1 to EH01
  • Change EHC2 to EH02
  • Change XHCI to XHC_
You need to have a copy of USBInjectAll.kext installed, preferably in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

After a reboot with these settings in place, you should be able to use Hackintool's USB tab to see all the possible Intel USB ports on your Asus Laptop, if that is the system you are trying to configure the USB ports on.

You then need to test each physical USB port, first with a USB 2.0 pen drive and then with a USB 3.0 pen drive. Note down what ports are shown in Green in the Hackintool USB Window when each port is tested.

Once you have tested all the USB ports, you need to delete/remove all the other non-green coloured ports from the Hackintool USB window, using the icon tools below the window. So you are left with just the active USB ports, this should include your Bluetooth module, if it is built-in and it is connected via USB. This should not account for more than 15 ports in total.

One thing that is really important is to make sure you have the correct Connection type logged against each port.
  1. USB 2 only ports on the exterior of the case need to be set as USB2 (0)
  2. USB 2 ports from a USB 3 physical port need to be set as USB3 (3)
  3. USB header/Internal ports such as for the built-in Bluetooth need to be set as Internal (255)
  4. USB 3 ports need to be set as USB3 (3)
Your Haswell system won't have any USB Type-C ports.
I am using Catalina 10.15.7.
The config part was the part that was hanging me up. I do have the USBInjectAll.kext but I don’t think I have it in the right place

Back