Contribute
Register

The New Beginner's Guide to USB Port Configuration

After installing the YOUBO Wifi/Bluetooth card, my computer won't go to sleep. I tried following this guide based on some other posts I saw about the issue being related to Bluetooth being connected to a USB header, but I'm stuck.

I installed USBInjectAll.kext v 0.7.3 in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and added the port-limit removal patches for Catalina to my config.plist. However, when I open Hackintool, all of my devices are named "IOUSBHostDevice", and when I connect a flash drive to test my other ports, it doesn't show up in Hackintool even after clicking the refresh button or quitting and re-opening the app. I've tried multiple flash drives and other USB devices in multiple ports, but no other devices show up in Hackintool. They do show up in Finder and System Information, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any help is appreciated.

Here's what I see in Hackintool for reference:

Hackintool.png

@Feartech previous developed .kext didn't work. I'm assuming due to failing to do appropriate EHC to EH renames. Maybe it was never working?

Using Opencore 0.6.7
  1. Renamed EHC1 and 2 to EH01 and 2 with appropriate patches.
  2. uSBInjectall.kext in OC/Kexts.
  3. Appropriate changes for kext and XHCI port limit in config.plist
  4. I removed "FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext" and FakePCIID.kext. rebuild kext cache and permissions (led to now OSX error notifications about Dropbox and Paragon NTFS kexts. Issue for another time).
  5. Reboot
  6. Started and completed USB mapping as below.
Could anyone please review the attached and check if there is anything blatantly wrong? The use of hubs on the GA-Z77X-UPH TH MB makes mapping a bit of a nightmare as others have found.

EDIT - when going to check USB kext as produced as I have been using a USB "Opencore test drive" for any changes until confirmed working. Now find myself unable to see the USB at BIOS "choose drive" at boot. Have checked multiple USB boot drives. None are seen.

Have realised that now all USB ports on front of case are not available pre boot. :evil: Booted off test USB and have 23 USB ports showing in Hackintool :(

Can boot to all my OS drives. All Opencore 0.6.7 - Mavericks, Catalina and Big Sur and W10. Just not a USB drive.

Didn’t make any BIOS changes ... RESET BIOS and reloaded past working BIOS setting. No change to USB ports front case pre boot.

I realise this is a beginners guide and am happy to move post if required but after 2 hours of not being able to boot off the USB drive I’m losing hair and going grey.

I hope someone can help me understand how USB changes attempted in an OS have effected USB ports pre boot.

Time to walk away (again) for a while :(

Arghhh ... post USBports.kext @UtterDisbelief would you have any advice?
View attachment 514258

Hi there.

First thing to do is refresh the Hackintool screen now you have your USBPorts.kext in place. On the USB tab, bottom row icons - Broom then Circular Arrows. This should then show you the work you've done.

The IOReg output looks okay. You have the 14x EHCI total ports and the 4x (8x) XHCI ports.

As far as I can see your motherboard also features a VIA VL800 3rd-party add-on USB chip and the ports it provides get mixed-in with the native Intel ports. For example only 2x of the back-panel ports are Intel, the other 4x are from VIA. That's the extent of their use. The internal headers are all Intel.

:)

After installing the YOUBO Wifi/Bluetooth card, my computer won't go to sleep. I tried following this guide based on some other posts I saw about the issue being related to Bluetooth being connected to a USB header, but I'm stuck.

I installed USBInjectAll.kext v 0.7.3 in the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and added the port-limit removal patches for Catalina to my config.plist. However, when I open Hackintool, all of my devices are named "IOUSBHostDevice", and when I connect a flash drive to test my other ports, it doesn't show up in Hackintool even after clicking the refresh button or quitting and re-opening the app. I've tried multiple flash drives and other USB devices in multiple ports, but no other devices show up in Hackintool. They do show up in Finder and System Information, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Any help is appreciated.

Here's what I see in Hackintool for reference:

View attachment 514300

Hi there.

Your motherboard also features a Renesas 3rd-party USB controller, supporting the Intel native ports. This confuses Hackintool as you can see it is not showing the controller in it's top panel. Sometimes a 3rd-party chip is used alongside the Intel ports, other times it provides the USB3 services for an otherwise USB2 port.

In your case all 6x back-panel ports are Intel with Renesas piggy-backs. This will be why when you plug in a USB3 stick it will not show in Hackintool. Probably only the USB2 will. Test it to see what I mean.:thumbup:

Hi there.

First thing to do is refresh the Hackintool screen now you have your USBPorts.kext in place. On the USB tab, bottom row icons - Broom then Circular Arrows. This should then show you the work you've done.

The IOReg output looks okay. You have the 14x EHCI total ports and the 4x (8x) XHCI ports.

As far as I can see your motherboard also features a VIA VL800 3rd-party add-on USB chip and the ports it provides get mixed-in with the native Intel ports. For example only 2x of the back-panel ports are Intel, the other 4x are from VIA. That's the extent of their use. The internal headers are all Intel.

:)
Thank you - I’ll check that out 1st opportunity I get. EDIT - Thanks kext working. Never knew about the broomstick first.
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 4.17.04 pm.png

@UtterDisbelief the concern now is that I’ve lost my front case USB 2/3 ports pre Boot. They then work in an OS. This is extremely annoying as my mouse receiver is mounted there and a I used them to mount the test installer USB. As my machine lives under a desk placing drives in the back ports is difficult.

Could you explain why that has occurred and how to return them to when they worked preboot? @Stork any ideas?

EDIT [SOLVED] Over the years "Silent is Golden" has had a few things added. Multiple SSDs, couple of hard drives in RAID mode, a new bigger graphics card and a couple of screens with USB hubs. In the end that all adds up to power consumption.

To create the USB kext I had to pull it out from under the desk and after all the work plugged back in one of two of the longish USB cables that runs up to to the Dell screens for their USB hubs (despite almost never using them excepting for a single web cam).

The issue with the front USB ports? When both Dell screen's USB hubs are connected the front hub fails :banghead::mad:

So when I had finished the USB port finding I plugged one of the cables that had come out at some stage AND there began the front ports issue. I, naturally, blame it on the kext changes to do the USB kext changes or removal of other kexts to do the process.

You'd think that I'd remember, as an example, that this computer will charge an Iphone 6 but not an Apple Ipad Pro.

It's not the lack of power supply IMHO as I never have stability issues. It's the demand on the boards USB power delivery that is most likely the issue.

Thanks to @UtterDisbelief for the excellent guide and recent help.

Placed here so that people with older computers don't go through what I did over the last days. It was a significant trouble shoot and I'm getting a bit old to get down on the floor every time I need to pull a cable at the back of the computer.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Your motherboard also features a Renesas 3rd-party USB controller, supporting the Intel native ports. This confuses Hackintool as you can see it is not showing the controller in it's top panel. Sometimes a 3rd-party chip is used alongside the Intel ports, other times it provides the USB3 services for an otherwise USB2 port.

In your case all 6x back-panel ports are Intel with Renesas piggy-backs. This will be why when you plug in a USB3 stick it will not show in Hackintool. Probably only the USB2 will. Test it to see what I mean.:thumbup:
Thanks for your response.

I tried plugging in a USB 2.0 stick as well as an external USB 3.0 drive into each of the 3 available USB 3.0 back-panel ports (3 are already in use: 2 external drives and the other for my monitor) as well as the 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front panel of my case. However, no new devices show in Hackintool regardless of the device or port I use. It always just shows the same 4 devices in the screenshot I shared.

Also, I forgot to mention that I started getting a kernel panic about once a day since installing the YOUBO wifi card. I'm not sure if that's also a USB-related issue.

Any suggestions for how I should proceed?

Thanks for your response.

I tried plugging in a USB 2.0 stick as well as an external USB 3.0 drive into each of the 3 available USB 3.0 back-panel ports (3 are already in use: 2 external drives and the other for my monitor) as well as the 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front panel of my case. However, no new devices show in Hackintool regardless of the device or port I use. It always just shows the same 4 devices in the screenshot I shared.

Also, I forgot to mention that I started getting a kernel panic about once a day since installing the YOUBO wifi card. I'm not sure if that's also a USB-related issue.

Any suggestions for how I should proceed?

Those four ports that show up are hubs.

Something is blocking the other ports then.

Could be a kext such as FakePCIID_XCHIMux.kext - or it could be something else. It might be a good idea to run the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 app and then export an *ioreg file. If you upload it we might be able to see what is causing the problem. Worth a try?

Those four ports that show up are hubs.

Something is blocking the other ports then.

Could be a kext such as FakePCIID_XCHIMux.kext - or it could be something else. It might be a good idea to run the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 app and then export an *ioreg file. If you upload it we might be able to see what is causing the problem. Worth a try?
I forgot to mention that I’m using FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. I added those way back when I installed High Sierra to fix USB 3.0 ports that had stopped working. Should I remove them?

I’ve also attached an ioreg file as requested.

Attachments

• Hack Pro.ioreg
    22.1 MB · Views: 29
I forgot to mention that I’m using FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext. I added those way back when I installed High Sierra to fix USB 3.0 ports that had stopped working. Should I remove them?

Yes, remove FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext.

FakePCIID.kext is the parent so I'm wary of telling you to remove that as you may have another kext dependent on it.

I'm not at my PC right now. I'll check the IOREG later :thumbup:

Okay, yes, how do things look with that kext removed? Remember to rebuild your kext-caches with either Terminal or Hackintool if you had the kext in Library/Extensions. If it is in your EFI Kexts folder, no need, just remove and reboot.

I've worked through the IOReg export and think it will look a lot healthier with the kext removed. Right now I can see it's in a mess.

Let me know. :thumbup:

Alright, I am hoping that someone here can help me out. I am having issues with speed on my usb 3.0 not getting the 5gb's speed on my hackintosh. I followed this to a tee and got all of my ports labeled and rocking and rolling. Here is the main issues.

I am an editor and need my NAS Terramaster to get minimum of 5gbps because I am editing in 4k. I have tried everything, including redoing this a second time and getting the same result. My NAS enclosure shows up on the USB, once as HS10 as the ASM107x at 480mbps and again on my SS10 as ASM107x at 5gbps. When I do a test using BlackMagic Drive Tester, I am getting around 350mbps which is a major issue. The other issue I have is that my USB-C is also not working.

Can anyone help me out because I have several projects coming up and need this problem fixed. Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 5.02.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 5.02.54 PM.png
    950.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.51.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 2.51.39 PM.png
    670 KB · Views: 25
Back