Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Also, I'm just starting to get into video editing a little bit with my drone. I have Adobe Premier Pro and everything on an SSD and it seemed to kind of struggle with my 4690K and NVS510. Is that normal? I have 16GB of RAM as well.

Also, I'm just starting to get into video editing a little bit with my drone. I have Adobe Premier Pro and everything on an SSD and it seemed to kind of struggle with my 4690K and NVS510. Is that normal? I have 16GB of RAM as well.
If it's 4K footage it will be a lot more work for the CPU and graphics card. The 16GB of RAM is not a problem. The NVMe drives also help working with 4K much more smooth. FCP X is obviously optimized much better for macOS than Premiere Pro. You can also download a free one month trial of Final Cut and see how that goes.

Bought a used Dell Optiplex 9020 for approx 148 US$ after saw this thread and still in shipment
The price for the performance you get with these is about the best there is right now. Most Chromebooks or Chromboxes cost more than this. They have very weak CPUs, minimal storage and you're locked into the Google ecosystem. With these Dells you can easily run Windows, Linux, macOS or pretty much anything you throw at it. They're super easy to upgrade and work inside. Replacement parts are cheap and abundant. For pre-builts, they look good and come in very solid cases that hold up longer term. So I commend you on your choice. Follow the guide, go slowly and perform each step verbatim and you'll get a working system. Let us know how it all goes for you.

It is 4k footage. Maybe putting in a better i7 would help? Power supply should still be good with that, right? I have the SFF. I don't think I can do a ton better in the video card department due to power and space limitations I'm thinking.

Also, with the SFF and having the BCM94360CS2 and NVS510, I don't have an option for that, correct?

having the BCM94360CS2 and NVS510, I don't have an option for that, correct?
You've only got two PCIe slots in the SFF so putting something like the MSI RX 560 in the x4 slot would work but it then blocks the x16 slot where you would want the wireless card. This is why it's better to go with the Mini-Tower for those that need the extra space for add in cards. For video editors the MT is really the only choice if that's the main use of one of these. You can then use most any double slot AMD card and easily upgrade the PSU to something 500W or more.

Hi, I just bought an used Dell Optiplex 9020 for approx 148 US$ after saw this thread and still in shipment. Hopefully, I will be able to install Mojave in this machine since I am really new in this hackintosh thing. Hope you guys can help me later if i face any trouble. Thanks in advance guys :D

i tried hackintosh-ing several years ago but got stuck, later abandon it but this thread spark my interest again.

This build and thread is an example of how hackintoshing should be done to the general user. All of these guys that say that tonymacx86 sucks and here's how you should do it. I tried it. Hardly anyone is going to go through that much trouble to get a working Hmac.

I can't imagine it gets any easier than this.

You've only got two PCIe slots in the SFF so putting something like the MSI RX 560 in the x4 slot would work but it then blocks the x16 slot where you would want the wireless card.
Yeah. I might have to beef this up to a mid or something for editing if I get that into it. Thanks for the info.

I picked up an Optiplex 9020 MT i7-4790 with 16GB RAM and a Samsung EVO 250gb SSD for $250.

I used this guide and an EFI zip file from another thread to get Catalina working. Only issue is that the only sound that is working is through HDMI.

The 4K BIOS tweaks to enable full 4K support worked great.

I used this guide and an EFI zip file from another thread to get Catalina working.
Did you try applying this guide to Catalina first and it didn't work ?

Back