Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

I formated NVMe as GUID + APFS in disk utility
Then used CCC. Just dragged SATA as source and NVMe as destination without any other change to default settings (copy all files was selected on CCC).
This method has worked for everyone that has tried it so far. Must be something else going on if the clone was completed successfully. Maybe try removing the 590 and use igfx HD4600 and see if that works or not. You could also try the NVME in a different PCIe slot and see what happens.

This method has worked for everyone that has tried it so far. Must be something else going on if the clone was completed successfully. Maybe try removing the 590 and use igfx HD4600 and see if that works or not. You could also try the NVMe in a different PCIe slot and see what happens.
That's unfortunate. I still have only HDMI monitor, so now I can't get rid of GTX 590. Any other ideas?

I formatted the nvme with Journaled instead of APFS
If you install Mojave it gets converted to APFS automatically anyway. Not sure why that would make a difference.

If you install Mojave it gets converted to APFS automatically anyway. Not sure why that would make a difference.
I tried again to format NVMe with apfs and clone the SATA to it. Clover didn't see it.
The solution was to copy apfs.efi into Clover drivers instead of the apfs loader.

tried again to format nvme with apfs and clone the sata to it. clover didnt see it.
the solution was to copy apfs.efi into clover drivers instead of the apfs loader
If formatting the target NVME drive to HFS+ (macOS Ext. Jrnld) works with no issues I'll put that in the guide. I would think that CCC would automatically format the NVME drive to APFS when cloning so I'm not understanding why formatting HFS+ works for you but APFS doesn't. If anyone knows why post the answer here.

If formatting the target NVME drive to HFS+ (macOS Ext. Jrnld) works with no issues I'll put that in the guide. I would think that CCC would automatically format the NVME drive to APFS when cloning so I'm not understanding why formatting HFS+ works for you but APFS doesn't. If anyone knows why post the answer here.
Or maybe you add the note that if clover doesn't see the NVMe drive, then add apfs.efi to its drivers instead of ApfsDriverLoader. (I copied it from /usr/standalone/i386/.)

I haven't had the opportunity to further pursue this issue since my last post. I hope to soon. I updated the BIOS on my 9020 MT when I first got it, as part of the shakedown testing and cleaning I gave it, before trying to install Mojave. I'm at BIOS A25 and I wonder if the BIOS revision might be a factor. Which BIOS are you using? I don't know what effect an earlier BIOS rev might have. I've done exactly what @tofeeq posted, and it works. I just get some odd scrolling text for a second during boot. It looks as though the apfs loader isn't able to load apfs.efi. Manually adding it to the drivers folder works around it.

Hi everyone.
I'm trying to install Mojave on my Dell Optiplex 9020 but I'm stuck.
It's showing
"en0 starting optimistic dad immediately for...", and it's been 2 hours right now.

I don't know what to do to move on.
Anyone with the same issue?
I followed the instructions step by step.

optiplex 9020 i7 4790
8gb ram

Many thanks.
IMG-0092.jpg

Last edited:
Back