Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

THis is my 7020 setup working well with NVMe.
I have a problem with USB 3. Only one in the front panel works, the other one not (in red circle). The 2 USB 3 ports on the back don't work as well.
I have installed the custom SSDts as instructed in the main post to the clover patched folder. and usbinjectall kext to clover kexts others.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20191124_120526.jpg
    20191124_120526.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • 20191124_120543.jpg
    20191124_120543.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I have a problem with USB 3. Only one in the front panel works, the other one not (in red circle). The 2 USB 3 ports on the back don't work as well.
Are you using the USB-SSDT.aml file ? You can upload your PR files for review.
Remember to press F2 and F4 keys at the Clover Boot menu.

A good first troubleshooting step is to boot Windows or Linux and test those USB 3 ports to rule out a hardware problem.

Did you try applying this guide to Catalina first and it didn't work ?

I started with this guide and thought Unibeast might not support Catalina, so I did the "create Catalina install media from commandline" onto the USB (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-optiplex-7010.284786/) and copied the EFI from the following post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-catalina-10-15-on-dell-optiplex-9020.285382/ and just used it in place of the EFI folder on the media.

So the first part of this guide for BIOS upgrade/settings was followed, then I just installed Catalina using the other EFI, then continued with this post for some of the post-install (except that I did not use Multibeast or install Clover via the Clover pkg). I just installed the SSDTs and HD 4600 tweaks (BIOS fix from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...monitors-on-intel-4600-integrated-gpu.282589/). I copied the Clover installed app from my Mojave over to use it on Catalina, and I did use Kext Utility and Kextbeast to ensure I had the trio of kexts (Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC) as the guide suggested.

Hi all, I have a few 9020s (2 x MT & a SFF) and a 7020 MT. This is a great guide so thanks again to @trs96 for putting it all together.

One thing that has frustrated me for a solid 3 - 4 days now is sleep/wake issues, specifically the sleep/wake loop using the BCM943602CS wifi/bluetooth combo card (found in the 2015 Macbook Pro models) in a PCIe x1 adapter (the one by HUYUN). My reason for choosing this particular card is how well it worked in my Optiplex 7010 CustoMac Mini.

I have finally solved this problem and thought I would share it with you all. When any changes are made to the SSDT-USB (whether using hackintool or compiled via MaciASL) you need to clear the NVRAM, which I discovered is as simple as pressing F11 in the Clover boot menu.

So, say for the SFF you plug your bluetooth cable into the HS05 USB2 Port (Back Bottom Right) and change its USBConnector value to 255 and compile via MaciASL. Once you've copied the compiled SSDT-USB aml file to your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, restart the machine, then once in Clover before its boots your MacOS disk hit F11 on your keyboard (I had to use a standard USB keyboard as my Logitech K380 bluetooth keyboard wouldn't work) to reset the NVRAM. Once complete you'll be back to the Clover boot loader, boot MacOS as normal and your system should sleep and wake perfectly using your bluetooth keyboard or mouse.

This should also work with similar combo cards, one of which I know is the popular BCM9430CS2 from the 2013 Macbook Air.

Hope this helps everyone who has or is still struggling with sleep thing like I have. I don't yet have an AMD RX 5XX card to start testing sleep/wake, but I guess that is another ball game. It would be amazing when we finally crack that one!

- UncleJarvis

I don't yet have an AMD RX 5XX card to start testing sleep/wake, but I guess that is another ball game. It would be amazing when we finally crack that one!
Nice work on those issues @unclejarvis. The only problem associated with the AMD cards I've seen is wake to a black screen. My 9020 goes to sleep, stays asleep long term. It wakes up normally when I press a key or click the mouse. The only issue is that black screen after it wakes up. So that is completely different than the problems you had with bluetooth and sleep wake issues. Black screen problems with AMD Polaris graphics go all the way back to 2017. Most of them have been resolved such as boot to black screen etc. Even real Macs have had this black screen upon waking issue with Mojave 10.14.6. Apple has offered some updates to try and fix it.

I've heard from some that OpenCore bootloader solves these problems. I've not started testing with that yet but hope to try it with Catalina later this year and in 2020. So there's no reason for anyone with an AMD card having this problem to get rid of their 570 or 580. Simply shut down instead of sleeping the PC. With an NVME SSD installed it boots so fast it's nearly as quick as waking from sleep anyway. If saving power is important, the PC uses the least power when completely powered off.

Last edited:
Hi guys..

First off, I'd like to thank @tonymacx86, @RehabMan, @trs96 and other moderators for the job they've been doing here. Please Keep it up.
And also OP @trs96 for this Golden Build because I just made my first build using this build-thread after delving with the very first iBoot many years ago. So. it's been awhile.

Just checking in here to say thank you, and to report that my build was a success.

Last edited:
Quick question re: Samsung RAM

As posted over at the first page the recommended RAM is this: Samsung 1600
Which based off the labels are these: M378B1G73QH0-CK0

My question relates to that I have a local buddy who will let go a 32gb (4x8gb) set of these: M378B1G73BH0-CK0 for 50 bucks with personal warranty for three years (well he's a friend so that's not an issues and these are Samsung).

My question is: are they the same (ie can I use the M378B1G73BH0-CK0) for the the unit on my sig below?

Apologies coz I'm not good enough with computer stuff to know the difference between the two (it seems to they are the same ie same sub-series).

Thanks in advance guys.

are they the same (ie can I use the M378B1G73BH0-CK0) for the the unit on my sig below?
As long as it's standard 1600 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC unbuffered 240 pin ram it shouldn't be a problem. C11 is the normal latency but I think that CL9 ram doesn't create issues either.

As long as it's standard 1600 MHz DDR3 Non-ECC unbuffered 240 pin ram it shouldn't be a problem. C11 is the normal latency but I think that CL9 ram doesn't create issues either.

See right there? That's too deep for me to even grasp the difference between c11 vs cl9. In my own little mind I just need to know if it will work or not. :crazy:

CL9 vs CL11: what's the difference?

Just texted my buddy coz i'm buying them suckers (M378B1G73BH0-CK0) for cheap.

You are awesome brother. :clap:

Are you using the USB-SSDT.aml file ? You can upload your PR files for review.
Remember to press F2 and F4 keys at the Clover Boot menu.

A good first troubleshooting step is to boot Windows or Linux and test those USB 3 ports to rule out a hardware problem.
No I am using the ready custom SSDTs you offered in the post. Are there different 7020 version, so I have to make my own custom ones?
I will send you the reporting files as soon as I have some time. I will try to boot to Linux live CD and check if the ports are originally working.
Greetings.

Back