Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

The OCB: StartImage failed error typically disappears once we (a) Reset NVRAM and (b) check/fix disk boot order in BIOS.

At the OpenCore boot picker we can press and release CMD-V to enable verbose logs, then select the boot disk.
Ok appreciate your response. Seems I'm not able to reset NVRAM with option+cmd+p+r but I went through terminal and believe it was reset, though still getting either a blank screen when booting OC or the StartImage error. What's the correct boot order in BIOS? Does the USB need to be first? Mine is currently:

#1 Opencore
#2 UEFI OS
#3 UEFI USB

If the boot order didn't change, does that mean I haven't reset NVRAM correctly?

Also tried CMV-V at the OC boot picker screen before selecting the boot disk, but still not seeing any sort of log. Do they appear on the USB EFI like OC logs? Thanks!!

Ok appreciate your response. Seems I'm not able to reset NVRAM with option+cmd+p+r but I went through terminal and believe it was reset, though still getting either a blank screen when booting OC or the StartImage error.
We reset NVRAM by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore boot picker. The Reset NVRAM option then appears on the far right.

What's the correct boot order in BIOS? Does the USB need to be first? Mine is currently:

#1 Opencore
#2 UEFI OS
#3 UEFI USB
This is okay. But when you reboot, press F12 repeatedly when the Gigabyte splash screen appears. This will open the BIOS Boot Menu (not the OpenCore boot menu). Select your USB disk from this menu.

If the boot order didn't change, does that mean I haven't reset NVRAM correctly?

Also tried CMV-V at the OC boot picker screen before selecting the boot disk, but still not seeing any sort of log. Do they appear on the USB EFI like OC logs? Thanks!!
CMD-V enables on-screen boot logs that will scroll by quickly as the system boots.

We reset NVRAM by pressing spacebar at the OpenCore boot picker. The Reset NVRAM option then appears on the far right.

This is okay. But when you reboot, press F12 repeatedly when the Gigabyte splash screen appears. This will open the BIOS Boot Menu (not the OpenCore boot menu). Select your USB disk from this menu.

CMD-V enables on-screen boot logs that will scroll by quickly as the system boots.
Okay I reset NVRAM by pressing spacebar and choosing that option. Then rebooting, pressing F12, selecting the USB in BIOS Boot, entering CMD-V at this point, then selecting the USB EFI as always. Still just getting a blank screen after that unfortunately.

Okay I reset NVRAM by pressing spacebar and choosing that option. Then rebooting, pressing F12, selecting the USB in BIOS Boot, entering CMD-V at this point, then selecting the USB EFI as always. Still just getting a blank screen after that unfortunately.
Okay, let’s look at some other factors.

What method did you use to download macOS and create the USB install disk?

Okay, let’s look at some other factors.

What method did you use to download macOS and create the USB install disk?
Currently on Catalina 10.15.7, I used Munki's InstallInstallMacOS utility from the OC guide to download Big Sur, and the createinstallmedia command to create the USB install disk, then used MountEFI to create the EFI partition and copy the EFI folder over to it. I've tried running the Big Sur installer and that part seemingly boots up Recovery mode fine, I'm just hesitant to go through with the install since it requires OC 0.6.3+ and I'm on 0.6.0. Hence trying to update OC first. I appreciate your time.

This is all the same stuff that I went through (but never resolved) when I was trying to update my (Gigabyte Z370 AOG7) other system that's stuck on OC060 and Mojave.
Question for @clichequiche: Is there any possibility that you have leftover Clover junk on your system drive? And you definitely have only one EFI that your startup system is reading?

Hello everyone,
I have build system like this one, long time ago, working on it since 2018, only problem that I have is that sleep and shutdown not working. Tried everything found in this great forum, and found out that everything works when I remove Fenvi card. So did anyone come to solution for this?

thank you

Hello everyone,
I have build system like this one, long time ago, working on it since 2018, only problem that I have is that sleep and shutdown not working. Tried everything found in this great forum, and found out that everything works when I remove Fenvi card. So did anyone come to solution for this?

thank you

Hi there.

This problem is caused by the Bluetooth connection of your Fenvi card to the motherboard's internal USB port.

Did you do any USB port configuration for your PC?

Hi there.

This problem is caused by the Bluetooth connection of your Fenvi card to the motherboard's internal USB port.

Did you do any USB port configuration for your PC?
I did port mapping but didn't help.

I did port mapping but didn't help.

Show me your USBPorts.kext or USBMap.kext or whatever, and I'll check it for you.

Also take a screengrab of the Hackintool / USB page and attach that too.

:)

Back