Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

My bad. I fixed the ROM and put in the correct original value & booted. (Sorry, brain dead moment from all the testing.)
All values are set correctly & SecureBootModel is disabled.

2 different tests, with reboots in between:

1. iGPU -> config.plist -> TB -> monitor //DP was unplugged

2. AMD -> config.plist - > DP -> monitor /TB was unplugged

In both cases with verbose booting & starting from OC picker to Mac HD, it halts in the exact same place
"Starting up Super I/O Sensors".

For now for any future tests I'm sticking with #1 just to keep the number of variables small & just get the system booted before worrying about the AMD card.
Some questions and recommendations:
  • When you deleted the Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions, do you remember (a) rebuilding or (b) invalidating the kernel cache in Mojave?
  • If not, simply boot Mojave with Clover and invalidate the kernel cache:
Bash:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  • Then boot back into Mojave with Clover! This will cause the system to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • Then restart the computer and try booting with OpenCore.
  • Does it still get stuck?

Here's what I discovered @CaseySJ:

1. able to replicate freeze after log-in by doing nothing and letting computer sit about 20 min. without screensaver.

2. Unplugged 2nd monitor and TV (TV was not on), no freeze. Though by 20 minutes something occured and my GPU's lights and fans were going but calmed down.

3. Plugged in second monitor, kept TV unplugged. So far, no freeze.

NOTES:
Both 4k monitors are DP, 4k TV is HDMI.

I have the TV also plugged in to my blackmagic Decklink as well. This allows video in RESOLVE or Premiere to display on the TV which is a must. I also had it plugged in to my GPU as a third monitor to display Logic Pro mixers or Lightroom photos on it. It's sad that I lose this functionality.

So, either i figure out how to fix the HDMI causing a freeze or call it a day?
Are you able to get your hands on a temporary alternative GPU such as AMD RX 6600, 6600XT, 6800, or 6800XT?

Some TVs have special instructions for connecting to a computer. Does your TV have a specific port and other settings for use with PCs?

Some questions and recommendations:
  • When you deleted the Hackintosh kexts from /Library/Extensions, do you remember (a) rebuilding or (b) invalidating the kernel cache in Mojave?
  • If not, simply boot Mojave with Clover and invalidate the kernel cache:
Bash:
sudo touch /Library/Extensions
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
  • Then boot back into Mojave with Clover! This will cause the system to rebuild the kernel cache.
  • Then restart the computer and try booting with OpenCore.
  • Does it still get stuck?

Yes, I removed the files from L/E & did the sudo touch & invalidated the cache

Then I rebooted back into clove/mojave to make sure everything worked (audio & sensors do not per above, which is expected)
Then rebooted again & into usb OC & attempted to boot into Mojave & same result.

This time gets stuck at Legacy USB, right before IO Sensors
I also left the machine alone for about 20 min, in case it would continue booting

Pix below are the the error & Bios settings, in case I missed anything.
My thinking is if something was off in the Bios, then clover/mojave would not boot & now we are attempting to boot from OC + Mojave, which should work
The hardware is a direct match for what you have in your original build (except for the extra hdd's/ssd's)

Edit:
Also ran this to make really sure theres no other kexts floating around

sudo kextcache -i /

kextcache -arch x86_64 -local-root -all-loaded -kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel -prelinked-kernel /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel -volume-root / /System/Library/Extensions /Library/Extensions /AppleInternal/Library/Extensions
KernelCache ID: C9C29C91D79479A82A80DAEB00AE

I'm pretty sure I have rebooted 20+ times at this point since Fri night, as I have to use this machine to post on here

Attachments

• Boot_Bios_Pix.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
We can get more than 15 ports working, but we'll have to enable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist.

It was fixed? I thought it was working only till Catalina

Yes, this is correct. Good luck!
Hello CaseySJ, today I tried to make a fresh install on both of my systems with the new sn850x drives. Everything went well until the screen which I have to select country, setup apple id, etc. So in that screen both systems freeze and this happens again no matter how many restarts I'll do. So Im thinking that it must be my EFI which I put from my mac into usb's EFI. Is it maybe because I used same serial/SSUID/ROM as my previews installation had and should have let them blank?

¡Gracias, lo compruebo ahora!
Sigo con la misma carpeta EFI de Big Sur?
Yo de nuevo¡ @CaseySJ Intenté instalar un macOS Ventura y Monterey limpio, y tengo un problema….
- Tengo OpenCore en 0.8.3; y
- Descargué su carpeta EFI 0.8.3 y actualicé a 0.8.5 con hackindrom.

Cuando instalo, en el primer reinicio elijo la unidad USB para arrancar. Después de eso, selecciono el instalador de macOS y se reinicia en modo de recuperación...

¿Alguna solución?

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
After much fiddling & testing (including temporarily removing SMCSuperIO.kext from config.plist & setting BIOS legacy USB Enabled -> Auto), it still hangs at the same place.

config.plist is now restored with the above kext. I double checked everything against your mini-guide. The only thing I can think of is:

1. My Bios is F9g (You recommended F9g or F9i, so I'm sure you tested both); and​
2. My boot drive with the Clover kexts removed is the Samsung EVO 970 Plus .​

So, next test is to restore the kexts/scripts on 970 & boot back into Mojave and make sure everything is working. I have a safety net.

Use the "clone" SSD EVO 860 and remove clover kexts/scripts from that; clear cache; reboot; use OC picker to boot that install; and see if it gets past the error, in case the NMVe 970 is the issue for some reason.

I think I am at 60 reboots now. :D

+2 reboots later.

1. Booted from clone SSD (860) & removed L/E & scripts & invalidated cache, etc., & rebooted.
(For sanity's sake, I have a txt file in /Applications, so I can keep track of which backup or main drive I'm at at the moment)
Also since my snapshot was on Fri or Sat & this thread was open, going into the clone, safari will show this thread 5 pages ago, when the windows are restored.

2. Everything looked ok & sensors & audio was gone as expected (due to lack of clover kexts)

3. Rebooted & into BIOS & USB & OC picker & verbose & select "clone"

4. Hangs at the exact same spot.

In all tests above, its the same config.plist (iGPU), TB out to monitor, nothing else is connected except USB stick to test OC & Logitech keyboard/mouse dongle.

Since both the M.2 970 (main os) & 860 (clone OS) are halting at the same point in the boot sequence, before the window manager is up, it might be the BIOS or something that needs to be added to config.plist.

Regular clover without kexts & boot scripts is booting up either ssd all the way to the desktop

Are you able to get your hands on a temporary alternative GPU such as AMD RX 6600, 6600XT, 6800, or 6800XT?

Some TVs have special instructions for connecting to a computer. Does your TV have a specific port and other settings for use with PCs?
I don't have access to a temporary GPU but may consider buying a 6800XT or 6900XT (are these stable with your build? Quite a lot faster in rendering in Davinci than the Frontier?)

TV's HDMI input is mapped to computer in. I may experiment with an HDMI to DP converter and see about that.

EDIT: I still believe it could be the AppleGFXHDA kext though. I have had this issue where *sometimes* if I plug in my headphones to the front audio port, all the monitors go black and fans come on.

Last edited:
Ok, I think we have a solution & am posting from clone desktop after booting all the way via OC -> igfx config

Made the following changes to F9g Bios

1. Internal Graphics [Auto] -> [Enabled]
  2. Wifi [Enabled] -> [Disabled]
  3. Above 4G Decoding [Disabled] -> [Enabled]
  4. Thunderbolt USB Support [Disabled] -> [Enabled]
  5. XHCI Hand-off [Disabled] -> [Enabled] <-- this may have been the issue
Switching clone back to clove L/E & rebooting & then removing clove exts from primary 970 & booting that via OC & testing for the next day to make sure everyone works

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks @CaseySJ

Back