Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Back in primary Mac HD (NVme EVO 970 Plus) with clover ext move out to different dir & booted via OC from usb stick
Will test following items & post back in about 6 hours or so & if all goes well will switch EFI on this ssd to OC + existing Mojave

1. Enable SIP
2. Check legacy USB //I have a Line 6 Helix attached to this machine...works
3. Make sure Bluetooth works from extended sleep //this was very iffy in clover
4. Make sure Wifi is consistent after sleep
5. Either stick with iGPU or test amd config list & plug amd DP out to DP IN on mobo & still use TB out
(this is really bugging me, because the BIOS should be visible & the AMD should act as an external gfx card)

Anything anyone would like me test, please let me know here & thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions

I crossed check my bios settings against this link, though I am still on F9g from Casey's link

Back in primary Mac HD (NVme EVO 970 Plus) with clover ext move out to different dir & booted via OC from usb stick
Will test following items & post back in about 6 hours or so & if all goes well will switch EFI on this ssd to OC + existing Mojave

1. Enable SIP
2. Check legacy USB //I have a Line 6 Helix attached to this machine...works
3. Make sure Bluetooth works from extended sleep //this was very iffy in clover
4. Make sure Wifi is consistent after sleep
5. Either stick with iGPU or test amd config list & plug amd DP out to DP IN on mobo & still use TB out
(this is really bugging me, because the BIOS should be visible & the AMD should act as an external gfx card)

Anything anyone would like me test, please let me know here & thank you to everyone who responded with suggestions

I crossed check my bios settings against this link, though I am still on F9g from Casey's link

Glad you found the BIOS Configuration issue. Every version of BIOS for this board (including F9g, F9i, etc.) needs to be configured. The full set of configuration parameters is in the build guide in Post 1:

Hello CaseySJ, today I tried to make a fresh install on both of my systems with the new sn850x drives. Everything went well until the screen which I have to select country, setup apple id, etc. So in that screen both systems freeze and this happens again no matter how many restarts I'll do. So Im thinking that it must be my EFI which I put from my mac into usb's EFI. Is it maybe because I used same serial/SSUID/ROM as my previews installation had and should have let them blank?
Hello @skroutz999,

Some questions and comments:
  • Which version of BIOS is installed?
  • Which version of macOS?
  • At what point in the Welcome wizard does the system crash?
    • When selecting country?
    • When entering WiFi password?
    • When creating user account?
    • When signing in to iCloud?
    • Other...?
  • Does it always crash at the same place?
  • PlatformInfo credentials should not affect this. Namely:
    • System 1: Use the same serial numbers as you've previously used on this system
    • System 2: Use the same serial numbers as you've previously used on this system
    • But do not interchange the serial numbers between Systems 1 and 2
  • Are you using wired Ethernet or WiFi?

1. BIOS f9g
2. macOS Ventura 13.0.2
3. In every step it may crash.
4. It doesn’t crash at the same place maybe most times when entering a password but again I made it through desktop and again it crashed.
5. It’s the same EFI (copy and paste to usb)
6. Wired and wireless with Fenvi Tt919.

P.S. Bios settings have remained the same since 3 years ago when I built the systems.
Shall I post my EFI to check it for sure?

Last edited:
1. BIOS f9g
2. macOS Ventura 13.0.2
4. It doesn’t crash at the same place maybe most times when entering a password but again I made it through desktop and again it crashed.

P.S. BIOS settings have remained the same since 3 years ago when I built the systems.

Check BIOS settings per either Casey's link or the other one I posted with screenshots
This is because after I went from F6 -> F9g, some stuff had moved around & it took a bit of fiddling to figure this out

Also, post pix of any logs with the crash.

1. BIOS f9g
2. macOS Ventura 13.0.2

P.S. BIOS settings have remained the same since 3 years ago when I built the systems.
Yes please post the EFI folder.

@Casey,
Just wanted to give you a heads up that I copied the EFI from USB to main EFI partition on EVO 970 & everything is booting up correctly. Continuity, apple watch unlock, audio, etc., all seem to be working correctly.

1. I tested with the AMD config.plist & that causes a kernel panic & booting halts so I reverted to the iGPU for now (though both igfx & AMD RX 580 will show in the system report, though its using the igfx at the moment).

2. Using the iGPU config & with the BIOS settings (internal gx=enabled, initial display=igfx) & connecting the AMD DP out to Z390 DP IN, makes the BIOS display vanish (i.e.: no boot logo)
So this issue is definitely a quirk with this BIOS; I haven't heard back from Gigabyte support as of yet & will post update if they respond.

Thank you again for all the help.

Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor or a monitor with standard USB ports? If the latter, then macOS should be able to see the monitor's internal hub as long as the USB 2 protocol on the Hackintosh USB port is enabled.

We can simply omit the USB port corresponding to the ITE Tech device and enable a different USB port. The ITE Tech device is the Gigabyte RGB Fusion controller. So it's entirely optional, and may be omitted from the port map.

All blue, red and yellow USB ports whether they're on the front of the case or on the rear IO panel should be set to Type 3 even for the USB 2.0 protocol. For example, if HS01 and SS01 are the USB 2 and USB 3 protocols, respectively, for a blue USB port on the front panel, then both HS01 and SS01 must be set to Type 3.

We can get more than 15 ports working, but we'll have to enable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist.
Thanks @CaseySJ,

I've switched off the port with ITE tech device, enabling me to switch on one more USB2 port.

My Monitor with the USB hub in it is a DELL U2713HM. It's connected to a Display Port, so, not a thunderbolt. I've seen things attached to it before, but only when I was running your USBInjectAll-071, USBInjectAll-076, and SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V7. I've not yet been able to see it with my USBMap.kext, even with the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk checked on via OCC.

BTW, when I tried switching on the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk I was still unable to get more than 15 ports working. I assume I'm missing something more that I'd need to do with that kernel quirk enabled. Is there more I'd need to do other than switching on that quirk?

I'm trying to fresh install Monterey and Ventura on a partitioned external drive (WD 5TB USB 3.0) for the fourth time, and it always crashes after the third reboot. I don't know what to do..... help!

I'm on OpenCore 0.8.5.

Back