Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@CaseySJ, thanks for this amazing guide! I can't believe how well my system is working now. I even have Ethernet from the mobo - something I never had with this system before. Your efforts have saved me so much work, it's ridiculous.
Glad to hear it, but please see several warnings below.

I'm working on USB mapping now, and have found the tools and guide here (https://github.com/corpnewt/USBMap) to be helpful so far. The tool seems to be easy to use and the process, though a bit tedious, isn't hard.
If my USB port map is still enabled in your config.plist, it will interfere with the results you get from Corpnewt's USBMap tool on macOS. My USB port map should be disabled. Or, better yet, we should use USBToolBox in Windows.

I've run into one thing, though. That tool produced a couple of kexts (USBMap.kext and USBMapLegacy.kext). You're supposed to put the first one in your Kexts folder, then modify config.plist to load it. It starts out as just a dummy kext that this tool's process is supposed to fix.

With USBMap.kext in my Kexts folder, I used propertree to rebuild my config.plist using the Cmd+R command and pointing it at my /EFI/OC folder. Of course, first I saved a copy of the working config.plist in the same folder, and that turned out to be the smartest thing I did since when I booted it hung at the Apple logo without a progress bar.
Warning:
  • Do not use ProperTree -- there is no reason to use prehistoric tools. Download and use OpenCore Configurator (OCC), but be mindful to set it to the right version of OpenCore. Each version of OCC supports only two versions of OpenCore.
  • And absolutely never use ProperTree's Snapshot feature. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Take a little time to learn OpenCore Configurator and its various panes on the left side (ACPI, Booter, DeviceProperties, etc.).
Simply delete the config.plist created by ProperTree. It's no good.

I was able to reboot and use the shell to move the old config.plist back, I'm not entirely sure what went wrong. One thing propertree did whine about when I did the Cmd+R was that it wanted to disable two kexts with duplicate CFBundleIdentifiers: Airportltlwm-Ventura and USBInjectAll-076. I told it not to, since if there were there before and it was working I didn't want to change that.

Should I have taken propertree up on its offer?
See above.

Should I have used OCC instead, and maybe it would have done something differently?
YES -- use OCC.

EDIT: So... I tried the first option, taking propertree up on its offer to disable Airportltlwm-Ventura and USBInjectAll-076. That worked, sort of... The system booted, but now I've only got one monitor. Hmmmm, fonts are wacky, too =\
ProperTree == bad idea!

EDIT2: Yep, OCC got it working! Turns out that wasn't so hard to do, just scan the Kexts folder and voila! the USBMap.kext is in the list and enabled. I do get warnigns about using OC 0.8.3 with OCC 2.63, but it seems to be working!
OCC == success! :)

But do not use the OCC "Scan Kexts" feature. It will import everything, but it will not see MinKernel and MaxKernel properly. It will also enable everything. That is also a disaster waiting to happen.

On to mapping USB ports!
That's the spirit!

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

1. Mirrored out the EVO 970 Plus to SSD 860 "Clone" & rebooted & that shows up in clover & picked that & it smoothly boots into Mojave & everything looks ok & I am able to log in

2. Clear out L/E & /etc/{rc.boot/shutdown} & clear cache in EVO 970 (Macintosh HD) & reboot & let clover time down & boot into EVO 970 & Mojave is back up & I log in & everything works except the audio & fake sensors since those have been moved away from the system

3. Reboot & F12 & pick USB partition 1 In BIOS and screen goes blank & it somehow boots into an Apple logo & hangs

4.Hard reboot (power button) & F12 & USB & this time the OC picker shows up so I hit cmd+v & theres an entry for Mac HD (EVO 970) & Clone ( EVO 860 ssd)

5. Pick EVO 970 & boot verbose starts and...... blank screen & it has rebooted back to BIOS

6. Did not press F12 this time & let timer run out on clover & back into Mojave (EVO 970) & I'm typing this out

Now, the above happens regardless of

1. AMD plist -> DP Out to monitor

2. AMD plist -> TB Out to monitor

3. iGFX plist -> TB Out to monitor

4. iGFX plist -> DP Out to monitor

Basically, the only time the BIOS will not show is if there is a cable going from AMD DP OUT to mobo DP IN & I have a filed a separate ticket on this with Gigabyte Support

BIOS Version is Fg from your earlier post

@CaseySJ

1. Mirrored out the EVO 970 Plus to SSD 860 "Clone" & rebooted & that shows up in clover & picked that & it smoothly boots into Mojave & everything looks ok & I am able to log in

2. Clear out L/E & /etc/{rc.boot/shutdown} & clear cache in EVO 970 (Macintosh HD) & reboot & let clover time down & boot into EVO 970 & Mojave is back up & I log in & everything works except the audio & fake sensors since those have been moved away from the system

3. Reboot & F12 & pick USB partition 1 In BIOS and screen goes blank & it somehow boots into an Apple logo & hangs

4.Hard reboot (power button) & F12 & USB & this time the OC picker shows up so I hit cmd+v & theres an entry for Mac HD (EVO 970) & Clone ( EVO 860 ssd)

5. Pick EVO 970 & boot verbose starts and...... blank screen & it has rebooted back to BIOS

6. Did not press F12 this time & let timer run out on clover & back into Mojave (EVO 970) & I'm typing this out

Now, the above happens regardless of

1. AMD plist -> DP Out to monitor

2. AMD plist -> TB Out to monitor

3. iGFX plist -> TB Out to monitor

4. iGFX plist -> DP Out to monitor

Basically, the only time the BIOS will not show is if there is a cable going from AMD DP OUT to mobo DP IN & I have a filed a separate ticket on this with Gigabyte Support

BIOS Version is Fg from your earlier post
Let's take a look at your OpenCore EFI folder. Simply do this:
  • Make a copy of the entire OpenCore EFI folder
  • Inside the copy, open config.plist and remove your serial numbers from PlatformInfo
  • Compress the EFI folder and post the ZIP

Hello @CaseySJ, I have a weird issue that has been occurring for quite some time through all recent versions of OC and also macOS Monterey and now Ventura. It seems as though my system does not retain settings / permissions on boot / reboot. For example, every time I boot, I am required to give my Google Drive application permission to access my computer, the same applies to my OneDrive application. In addition to this and now with Ventura, I am having to acknowledge the same (shown in attached screenshot) system preferences notifications each time I boot. Another example is the OpenRGB application. In this, I have it set to start the application minimised, however it does not start minimised each time. It's as though my system does not remember any of these settings each boot. With OpenRGB, it does show that I have selected the "Start Minimised" option.

Any ideas what could be causing my system to not retain these options / permissions?

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 8.07.49 am.png

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 8.06.48 am.png

Im on OC 0.8.5 and MacOS Ventura.

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 8.06.17 am.png

Let's take a look at your OpenCore EFI folder. Simply do this:
  • Make a copy of the entire OpenCore EFI folder
  • Inside the copy, open config.plist and remove your serial numbers from PlatformInfo
  • Compress the EFI folder and post the ZIP
Attached. Many thanks

I'm still in Mojave without all the kexts loaded via last clover boot above & system is still on TB to monitor & wake from sleep has "Bluetooth no available", which was always an issue & no audio due to kexts

Other than that the system is up before we switch to OC, so that's a good sign overall

Attachments

• OC_for_CaseySJ.zip
    44 MB · Views: 18
If my USB port map is still enabled in your config.plist, it will interfere with the results you get from Corpnewt's USBMap tool on macOS. My USB port map should be disabled. Or, better yet, we should use USBToolBox in Windows.

Gotcha, I'll just remove propertree from my Applications folder and keep on trucking with OCC.

Oh, BTW, your excellent EFI folder has also helped free up a USB port! It seems that my mobo audio is working now, too! No more need for my kludgy USB audio device.

That said, which of your kexts has your USB map? Is it USBInjectAll-071, USBInjectAll-076, or both? Or is it USBWakeFixup (seems unlikely)? When I let propertree take out USBInjectAll-076 that also took out one of my monitors and did something odd to my fonts (or maybe my screen resolution?). I hesitate to pull your kexts out of the Kexts folder given the results I saw before and my general ignorance.

Playing around with USBMap I've figured out which of my actual USB ports are non-functional and also taught USBMap which ones are just USB 2 and which are USB 3/USB 2 (most of them). That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that I've got 5 non-responsive mobo USB ports that should be working, plus two more in a monitor that I've not previously made use of and are also non-responsive.

All told, USBMap has identified 13, including a USB 2.0 hub (the one that doesn't seem to work in my monitor>?), and something called ITE Device(8595).

Gotcha, I'll just remove propertree from my Applications folder and keep on trucking with OCC.

Oh, BTW, your excellent EFI folder has also helped free up a USB port! It seems that my mobo audio is working now, too! No more need for my kludgy USB audio device.

That said, which of your kexts has your USB map? Is it USBInjectAll-071, USBInjectAll-076, or both? Or is it USBWakeFixup (seems unlikely)? When I let propertree take out USBInjectAll-076 that also took out one of my monitors and did something odd to my fonts (or maybe my screen resolution?). I hesitate to pull your kexts out of the Kexts folder given the results I saw before and my general ignorance.
We should uncheck (disable) the following:
  • ACPI --> Any SSDT whose file name begins with SSDT-UIAC-
    • UIAC means USB Inject All Companion
  • Kernel --> Uncheck both USBInjectAll-071 and USBInjectAll-076
USBWakeFixup can be left alone.

Playing around with USBMap I've figured out which of my actual USB ports are non-functional and also taught USBMap which ones are just USB 2 and which are USB 3/USB 2 (most of them). That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that I've got 5 non-responsive mobo USB ports that should be working, plus two more in a monitor that I've not previously made use of and are also non-responsive.

All told, USBMap has identified 13, including a USB 2.0 hub (the one that doesn't seem to work in my monitor>?), and something called ITE Device(8595).
ITE Device is the RGB controller. We should enable this port if it's within the 15 port limit. Later we can use Liquidctl to control RGB lighting from within macOS.

Attached. Many thanks

I'm still in Mojave without all the kexts loaded via last clover boot above & system is still on TB to monitor & wake from sleep has "Bluetooth no available", which was always an issue & no audio due to kexts

Other than that the system is up before we switch to OC, so that's a good sign overall
In your original config.plist please change SecureBootModel to Disabled:
Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 5.55.17 PM.png

In your original config.plist please change SecureBootModel to Disabled:
View attachment 557383

You might be reading my mind here, as I was starting to test this.

I also took a short video after right after the USB EFI partition is sselected from the bios
Mojave Photos will not let me play any video or load any video, since the clover kexts are gone at the moment

The error text is
Failed to parse data fleld as value with type mdata and <XXX> contents, context <ROM> !

The attached pix show the boot sequence, with verbose logging.
This happens with SecureBootModel=Disabled, in both amd config list & igpu, regardless of whichever one is copied to config.list

Attachments

• oc_error.jpg
    oc_error.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 13
  • oc_boot_picker.jpg
    oc_boot_picker.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
Hello, I'm still in Big Sur and I'm thinking of updating to Ventura, is there a guide to update?any recomendations? @CaseySJ

Thanks a lot for for making it so easy!!!!

Back