Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Help! I have created the Opencore EFI on a flash disk as per the guide for 0.6.2 - reset NVRAM and selected Catalina disk but the boot screen is then stuck on the Apple log with no progress bar. Can someone advise how I can see what this might be please?

At the OC picker use CMD+v to enable BSD style verbose logs. Then select the Catalina disk, hit enter, and take a pix of that and post here so Casey can help you out.
He mentioned the CMD+v on my earlier post a few pages ago.

You might be reading my mind here, as I was starting to test this.

I also took a short video after right after the USB EFI partition is sselected from the bios
Mojave Photos will not let me play any video or load any video, since the clover kexts are gone at the moment

The error text is
Failed to parse data fleld as value with type mdata and <XXX> contents, context <ROM> !

The attached pix show the boot sequence, with verbose logging.
This happens with SecureBootModel=Disabled, in both amd config list & igpu, regardless of whichever one is copied to config.list
When you removed serial numbers, you replaced ROM with XXX. This is an error. You can open the file in a text editor like BBEdit and replace XXX with 112233445566 or better yet, just use the original confit.plist that still has the serial numbers in it. Just disable SecureBootModel.

Hello, I'm still in Big Sur and I'm thinking of updating to Ventura, is there a guide to update?any recomendations? @CaseySJ

Thanks a lot for for making it so easy!!!!
We just have to upgrade to OpenCore 0.8.3 or newer, then proceed with the upgrade.

@mattbatt

I’m going to ask the obvious: ;)
  • Have you tested the multi-monitor hypothesis by disconnecting two of the three monitors, then using the system for an hour or two or three?
Here's what I discovered @CaseySJ:

1. able to replicate freeze after log-in by doing nothing and letting computer sit about 20 min. without screensaver.

2. Unplugged 2nd monitor and TV (TV was not on), no freeze. Though by 20 minutes something occured and my GPU's lights and fans were going but calmed down.

3. Plugged in second monitor, kept TV unplugged. So far, no freeze.

NOTES:
Both 4k monitors are DP, 4k TV is HDMI.

I have the TV also plugged in to my blackmagic Decklink as well. This allows video in RESOLVE or Premiere to display on the TV which is a must. I also had it plugged in to my GPU as a third monitor to display Logic Pro mixers or Lightroom photos on it. It's sad that I lose this functionality.

So, either i figure out how to fix the HDMI causing a freeze or call it a day?

When you removed serial numbers, you replaced ROM with XXX. This is an error. You can open the file in a text editor like BBEdit and replace XXX with 112233445566 or better yet, just use the original confit.plist that still has the serial numbers in it. Just disable SecureBootModel.

My bad. I fixed the ROM and put in the correct original value & booted. (Sorry, brain dead moment from all the testing.)
All values are set correctly & SecureBootModel is disabled.

2 different tests, with reboots in between:

1. iGPU -> config.plist -> TB -> monitor //DP was unplugged

2. AMD -> config.plist - > DP -> monitor /TB was unplugged

In both cases with verbose booting & starting from OC picker to Mac HD, it halts in the exact same place
"Starting up Super I/O Sensors".

For now for any future tests I'm sticking with #1 just to keep the number of variables small & just get the system booted before worrying about the AMD card.

Attachments

• oc_error.jpg
    oc_error.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 15
Ports are mapped! Thanks, @CaseySJ!

The only downsides are that through this process I observed 19 devices and could only map 15 of them. On the plus side, one is a 4-port USB2/USB3 hub that only occupies one device! I hadn't previously been able to get to that with your setup, but I am now. On the minus side, there's a 2-port USB2 hub internal to one of my monitors that I know I was able to get to with your setup, and nothing I've done with USBMap has been able to see it. Seems like a fair trade... ;)

You mentioned being able to get rid of the ITE Device(8595), but I wasn't quite following what would be needed to do that, and what the downside of disabling it might be, so I've kept it in the mix at the (minor) cost that one of my mobo USB ports is USB3 only with no support for USB2 devices. If I can ditch the ITE device, I'd be able to have a set of fully functional USB ports on the back of my case.

The only other thing I had to sacrifice was USB3 support on the front side of my case. The ports that are there are physically USB2 only, but if I enable two more USB devices they'll recognize USB3 devices plugged into them. Even if I enable the devices needed to do this, I think it throttles USB3 devices to the USB2 speed supported by those physical ports. To get USB3 on the front of my case I'd need to add HW...

Is there any way to get more than 15 devices working?

Ports are mapped! Thanks, @CaseySJ!

The only downsides are that through this process I observed 19 devices and could only map 15 of them. On the plus side, one is a 4-port USB2/USB3 hub that only occupies one device! I hadn't previously been able to get to that with your setup, but I am now. On the minus side, there's a 2-port USB2 hub internal to one of my monitors that I know I was able to get to with your setup, and nothing I've done with USBMap has been able to see it. Seems like a fair trade... ;)
Are you using a Thunderbolt monitor or a monitor with standard USB ports? If the latter, then macOS should be able to see the monitor's internal hub as long as the USB 2 protocol on the Hackintosh USB port is enabled.

You mentioned being able to get rid of the ITE Device(8595), but I wasn't quite following what would be needed to do that, and what the downside of disabling it might be, so I've kept it in the mix at the (minor) cost that one of my mobo USB ports is USB3 only with no support for USB2 devices. If I can ditch the ITE device, I'd be able to have a set of fully functional USB ports on the back of my case.
We can simply omit the USB port corresponding to the ITE Tech device and enable a different USB port. The ITE Tech device is the Gigabyte RGB Fusion controller. So it's entirely optional, and may be omitted from the port map.

The only other thing I had to sacrifice was USB3 support on the front side of my case. The ports that are there are physically USB2 only, but if I enable two more USB devices they'll recognize USB3 devices plugged into them. Even if I enable the devices needed to do this, I think it throttles USB3 devices to the USB2 speed supported by those physical ports. To get USB3 on the front of my case I'd need to add HW...
All blue, red and yellow USB ports whether they're on the front of the case or on the rear IO panel should be set to Type 3 even for the USB 2.0 protocol. For example, if HS01 and SS01 are the USB 2 and USB 3 protocols, respectively, for a blue USB port on the front panel, then both HS01 and SS01 must be set to Type 3.

Is there any way to get more than 15 devices working?
We can get more than 15 ports working, but we'll have to enable the XhciPortLimit kernel quirk in config.plist.

Back