Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I don't know if it's related or not (it wasn't a sleep-related issue) but I had random freeze issue with my Radeon VII as well, both in Mojave and Catalina. It was happening a lot while watching YouTube videos for a while.

I disabled the AppleGFXHDA kext, losing HDMI/DP audio in the process (which I don't use anyway) and I didn't have any issue since.
When I was having "freezing" issues after waking from sleep (Montery and Ventura) it wasn't because of any GFX issues or kexts: The Noctua NH-D15s fan was disabled upon wake. Luckily, the BIOS shutdown the Z390 when the 9900KS eventually reached 100°C. It tooks a few times before I figured out what was going on.

CaseySJ I'm still on OC 0.8.3. Is it going to work with a clean install (expecting my sn850xs to arrive next days) at macOS Ventura?

Upgrade from OC 0.8.3 to 0.8.4/0.8.5 isn't available on HackinDROM? I'm using HackinDROM version 2.1.4

Upgrade from OC 0.8.3 to 0.8.4/0.8.5 isn't available on HackinDROM? I'm using HackinDROM version 2.1.4
Please use the right-click method:

** Ventura Users and Prospective Ventura Users **

Upgrade to latest OpenCore 0.8.5 using HackinDROM's "update" feature described here:

I've followed Casey's build, I am running the same system hardware + 64GB RAM + RX 580 on Clover + Mojave since 2019 & TB output to monitor.
(RX580 DP out to motherboard in.)
Everything has worked great except for the "Bluetooth not available" after wake, and I have to reboot the system, every now & then.

OS/EFI are on 1xTB M.2 SSD. (EVO 960, firmware updated.)
Machine has 2 x 1TB SSD's one of which has a "clone" partition" which gets updated every night from the 1TB M.2 via SuperDuper.
Home dir is a symlink from M.2 to the other SSD which itself gets mirrored to a 6TB WD spinny HDD as a precaution.

I'm thinking of updating to Monterey, and I have the following options in mind & would appreciate any input.

Option #1
  1. Update clone on SSD above & check if it can boot from that without issues;
  2. Switch primary M.2 from clover to OpenCore & reboot & hope Mojave comes back intact; and
  3. Use software upgrade to go directly to Monterey //I don't know if this is possible.

Option #2
  2. Boot from USB stick with OpenCore + Monterey;
  3. Clean install on M.2 SSD; and
  4. Boot up & import all existing users & data from clone.

I've followed Casey's build, I am running the same system hardware + 64GB RAM + RX 580 on Clover + Mojave since 2019 & TB output to monitor.
(RX580 DP out to motherboard in.)
Everything has worked great except for the "Bluetooth not available" after wake, and I have to reboot the system, every now & then.

OS/EFI are on 1xTB M.2 SSD. (EVO 960, firmware updated.)
Machine has 2 x 1TB SSD's one of which has a "clone" partition" which gets updated every night from the 1TB M.2 via SuperDuper.
Home dir is a symlink from M.2 to the other SSD which itself gets mirrored to a 6TB WD spinny HDD as a precaution.

I'm thinking of updating to Monterey, and I have the following options in mind & would appreciate any input.

Option #1

2. Switch primary M.2 from clover to OpenCore & reboot & hope Mojave comes back intact; and
  3. Use software upgrade to go directly to Monterey //I don't know if this is possible.

Option #2

2. Boot from USB stick with OpenCore + Monterey;
  3. Clean install on M.2 SSD; and
  4. Boot up & import all existing users & data from clone.
Hello @madmax559,

Some important notes:
  • If you're on Mojave and using a "symlink" for your home folder, that symlink most likely will not work in Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, and newer.
  • It would be best to upgrade in small steps.
  • First make a full bootable backup of Mojave.
  • Then transition from Clover to OpenCore (still with Mojave) -- do not upgrade macOS until OpenCore is fully installed and test.
Also note that in Monterey and newer, trim does not work with most Samsung NVMe SSDs, but we can disable trim in OpenCore (we can do that later) to avoid a long boot-up time.

So I suggest first upgrading to OpenCore, then return to this thread and we'll help you with two Options for moving to Monterey.

Thanks @CaseySJ.
Will attempt switch this weekend to OC.

I read the mini guide & I'm assuming the reference to the pre-configured OC is this one, since the mini guide does not have a link

My setup & hardware is identical to your original build, except i'm using TB out from the UHD 630 to my monitor & it boots directly into the apple logo (bios does not show up), so I'll have to switch back to DP cable/Rx580 to check my bios settings
(Thanks for helping me a long time ago getting that working)

The mini guide refers to F9j beta while there has been a series of bios updates & the current release is F9

Is the F9 bios still good or do I need to get the F9j beta from the guide ?

Thanks @CaseySJ.
Will attempt switch this weekend to OC.

I read the mini guide & I'm assuming the reference to the pre-configured OC is this one, since the mini guide does not have a link
The mini-guide is actually referring to this post that I've just updated for you:

My setup & hardware is identical to your original build, except i'm using TB out from the UHD 630 to my monitor & it boots directly into the apple logo (bios does not show up), so I'll have to switch back to DP cable/Rx580 to check my bios settings
(Thanks for helping me a long time ago getting that working)

The mini guide refers to F9j beta while there has been a series of bios updates & the current release is F9

Is the F9 bios still good or do I need to get the F9j beta from the guide ?
I recommend BIOS F9g or F9i. At the top of Post 1 is a spoiler called Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides. In Section 1 of that spoiler are links to both F9g and F9i.

Back