Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Going with the F9g from the above link for my BIOS update.
Can anyone confirm if they can see the BIOS when the system is connected via TB/USBC ?
I'm using an LG 32" monitor.

May have to defer updates to weekend as I cant get into the BIOS & may need to go get a DisplayPort cable.
The monitor stays black after hard boot/power on & no amount of hitting the del key will bring up the BIOS & eventually you get the Apple logo & Mojave boots up.

If I remember correctly, I was never able to the see the BIOS over TB, &, after the install was done back in 2019, I switched from DP to TB (UDH 630 out) after Casey fixed my config.plist

This might just be the way the motherboard works.

CaseySJ I need your help one more time. Can you please confirm that the procedure below will work to make a clean install of macOS Ventura on my new sn850x?

1. Download from Appstore MacoS Ventura.
2. Format USB Flash drive (MacoS Journaled - GUID Partition)
3. Terminal -> sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Ventura
4. Copy EFI (OC 0.8.5) from NVME to USB's EFI
5. Install!

P.S. EFI is downloaded from your guide ** OpenCore 0.8.3 Mini-Guide ** and from there I updated to 0.8.5 using HackinDROM.

CaseySJ I need your help one more time. Can you please confirm that the procedure below will work to make a clean install of macOS Ventura on my new sn850x?

1. Download from Appstore MacoS Ventura.
2. Format USB Flash drive (MacoS Journaled - GUID Partition)
3. Terminal -> sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Ventura.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/Ventura
4. Copy EFI (OC 0.8.5) from NVME to USB's EFI
5. Install!

P.S. EFI is downloaded from your guide ** OpenCore 0.8.3 Mini-Guide ** and from there I updated to 0.8.5 using HackinDROM.
Yes, this is correct. Good luck!

Going with the F9g from the above link for my BIOS update.
Can anyone confirm if they can see the BIOS when the system is connected via TB/USBC ?
I'm using an LG 32" monitor.

May have to defer updates to weekend as I cant get into the BIOS & may need to go get a DisplayPort cable.
The monitor stays black after hard boot/power on & no amount of hitting the del key will bring up the BIOS & eventually you get the Apple logo & Mojave boots up.

If I remember correctly, I was never able to the see the BIOS over TB, &, after the install was done back in 2019, I switched from DP to TB (UDH 630 out) after Casey fixed my config.plist

This might just be the way the motherboard works.
I see Gigabyte splash screen on my LG 5k (TB) on my z390m system but I’m using a Titan Ridge AIC. I cannot remember if the splash screen switched to my 2nd (DP) monitor on the Designare with built-in TB or not.

I see Gigabyte splash screen on my LG 5k (TB) on my z390m system but I’m using a Titan Ridge AIC. I cannot remember if the splash screen switched to my 2nd (DP) monitor on the Designare with built-in TB or not.
Hmm ok. I can't find my DP cables at the moment so I'll just use a regular hdmi into the RX580, as using the hdmi on the iGPU does not show the bios either & I think I may have turned off the splash screen in the bios when I did the setup back in 2019.

Edit:
This is really odd. I unplugged the TB cable from the back of the case & plugged in hdmi into the rx580 & no amount of button mashing on keyboard (should be the Del key) will bring up the bios.

I vaguely remember something like this happening & only a DP cable works on this machine...will revisit this in the morning after coffee

Last edited:
That’s very odd. You should reset the CMOS and try again.

DP out from RX580 to DP in (motherboard) is disabled. ie cable was removed
All other cables from machine are out, except for logitech mx dongle in usb port
There is ONE single DP cable from Rx580 to the monitor & I'm typing this post on this machine.

I reset power, unplugged the power cable at the back etc etc & no matter what I do, there is a black screen & eventually it boots back into OS X

I tried Del, F12, F1 etc etc and now I'm completely lost.

Since, this is my main machine & it's a workday I'm hesitant to take it apart at the moment.
I thought 3 cups of coffee would help, but I guess not :rolleyes:

DP out from RX580 to DP in (motherboard) is disabled. ie cable was removed
All other cables from machine are out, except for logitech mx dongle in usb port
There is ONE single DP cable from Rx580 to the monitor & I'm typing this post on this machine.

I reset power, unplugged the power cable at the back etc etc & no matter what I do, there is a black screen & eventually it boots back into OS X

I tried Del, F12, F1 etc etc and now I'm completely lost.

Since, this is my main machine & it's a workday I'm hesitant to take it apart at the moment.
I thought 3 cups of coffee would help, but I guess not :rolleyes:
I don't think simply unplugging the power cord will reset the CMOS. You've got to use something metal to short the little CMOS jumper (be sure to pull power cord).
After it's done, if you can get into the BIOS, you need to make sure:
#1 You have the correct default GPU priority set
#2 Double-check the "Full Screen LOGO Show is enabled
#3 Configure the rest of the bios according to your setup/build

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 10.59.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 10.59.34 AM.png
    316.8 KB · Views: 18
I don't think simply unplugging the power cord will reset the CMOS. You've got to use something metal to short the little CMOS jumper (be sure to pull power cord).
After it's done, if you can get into the BIOS, you need to make sure:
#1 You have the correct default GPU priority set
#2 Double-check the "Full Screen LOGO Show is enabled
#3 Configure the rest of the bios according to your setup/build
Thanks for the above steps. I've saved them for reference.

I will do that as a last resort as I don't have my current Bios settings stored & I don't want to risk not being able to boot back up again.
I will try a couple of other steps before committing hara-kiri

And success... Unplugged all DP & just plugged in single TB cable from IGP to monitor & pulled power cord & plugged in & power up & sat with finger on delete key & BIOS finally showed up
The Logitech MX dongle also works in USB2 slot in the BIOS & both wireless MX keyboard & mouse work, in case anyone does not have a wired keyboard

The current BIOS is F6 & I was unable to save that to a flash drive (Fat32/MBR), nor was I able to read Casey's F9g firmware to start the update using QFlash.

The error was "Unable to open file". This is an old 16GB flash drive, so it should work.

Bios setting were iGP & I enabled the bootscreen so that will give it a few secs delay & fastboot is disabled which gives me enough time to beat the delete key into submission & get back into the BIOS.

Back