Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

As per my knowledge its like the data is not copied properly and that why its like a ghost data and @jiffyslot its working fine in Windows and Linux Operating System but I am unable to access the data on my Hackintosh
Does the Ethernet 0 (En0) hardware address in your BIOS setup match what you entered into the ROM section?

ROM needs to match your En0 hardware address.png

Change CPU Name in About this Mac:

I am using my Z390 DESIGNARE, i9 9900K, MacOS BigSur and OpenCore 7.1
with a PlatformID 7.1 MacPro instead of the iMac 19.1 and want to change the cpu name from
"3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W" to show i9 9900k instead of the Xeon W.

I have tried the "cpu_name_v2.sh" but I get an error

"mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66"

Does the script only work in Catalina?

Last edited:
I checked my System Information -> Thunderbolt/USB4: "No drivers are loaded", can someone please help? Thanks!
This is perfectly normal. Please ignore that section and look at the PCI section instead. Is your system still randomly freezing or rebooting?

Change CPU Name in About this Mac:

I am using my Z390 DESIGNARE, i9 9900K, MacOS BigSur and OpenCore 7.1
with a PlatformID 7.1 MacPro instead of the iMac 19.1 and want to change the cpu name from
"3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W" to show i9 9900k instead of the Xeon W.

I have tried the "cpu_name_v2.sh" but I get an error

"mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied
mount: / failed with 66"

Does the script only work in Catalina?
Correct — the script does not work in Big Sur and later. There is an alternative method with RestrictEvents, but we haven’t been able to use it reliably on an Intel system. Because CPU name is merely cosmetic, it’s probably best to leave it as is until a trusty solution is available.

Hello brousseau

I recently got the drive replaced from the vendor under warranty and even after the replacement its doing the same thing and I don't have and access to Z97x Machine right now that is at the different location and that too far from my place around 900 KM away. If I use the same drive in windows OS its working fine its only with Mac. I even tried the drive with my MacBook Pro no changes there also it's a same.
Is it an NTFS drive? Or maybe it's formatted as exFAT?

Drives often come formatted as exFAT by default and it's slow under MacOS.

Can you write to it on your Hackintosh? If yes - and you don't have a specific NTFS app like Paragon or Tuxera - , it's exFAT...

Last edited:
Is it an NTFS drive? Or maybe it's formatted as exFAT?

Drives often come formatted as exFAT by default and it's slow under MacOS.

Can you write to it on your Hackintosh? If yes - and you don't have a specific NTFS app like Paragon or Tuxera - , it's exFAT...
Its NYFS Formatted as I am using Tuxera NTFS to access NTFS Partition on my Hackintosh

Correct — the script does not work in Big Sur and later. There is an alternative method with RestrictEvents, but we haven’t been able to use it reliably on an Intel system. Because CPU name is merely cosmetic, it’s probably best to leave it as is until a trusty solution is available.

There was a fix in 1.0.2 "Fixed patching CPU brand string with 8 core configurations". Is it still broken on the latest kext?

Hi @CaseySJ , when I attach Caldigit TS3 to the thunderbolt port on Z390 Designare, the computer won’t shutdown. It keeps restarting. If the TS3 is detached before shutdown, it will shutdown the system

Back