Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Dear CaseySJ, thank you for maintaining this detailed installation guide. It was a great help for me. I have built almost the same configuration, except that I'm using an RX570 instead of an RX580. I have installed Mojave 10.14.6, and the main goal is to use it as a music production workstation. I'm using it with an UAD Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 interface, without any problems.

I have encountered the first problem yesterday, when trying to install the Security Update 2019-001. After initiating the installation, the system reboots and Clover tries to launch the installer environment by default instead of the standard system partition. I suppose, this is normal(?), as it tries to install the security update in the installer environment(?). The problem is that the installer environment doesn't boot. I get a lot more kernel messages than on a standard boot, and it hangs at a point. The standard system partition still boots normally, but the security update still appears, as it was not installed. I have installed the newest version of Clover, but it didn't solve the issue. Do you have any suggestions? What exact information should I provide. And also, what is the general experience with security updates? I am aware that OS updates should not be executed on Hackintosh machines, but what's the deal with security updates?
Hello @lgabeli87

We generally have no problem installing macOS updates (e.g. 10.14.5 to 10.14.6), macOS upgrades (10.14.x to 10.15.x), and macOS Supplemental/Security fixes. However, I don't recall seeing this update on my system (maybe I just did an Update All and it went through without notice). Anyway, have you seen this post? If using an SMBIOS such as iMacPro1,1 that has a T2 chip, this update may take extra time.

Intel i211 Ethernet controller: Can’t I just put this in Devices - Properties in config.plist and get rid of FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_Intel_GbX.kext?
View attachment 435769

I tested this and it doesn't work. While I can spoof the subsystem-id with Clover properties (you would use subsystem-id, not RM,subsystem-id in this case), the stock driver still doesn't work, as I guess it checks deeper.

I had a few projects with this build I was going to try. One I was interested in is seeing if we can change the subsystem-id on a deeper level.

The idea is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nics-to-use-small-tree-macos-drivers.1968456/

I'm wondering if that's even possible to do that to the i211, but I just got an Ubuntu install working last night. Linux hates the WD Black SN750 (which unfortunately I have two of in this build, should have just got all Samsung but I got WD because of the Evo Plus bug back then, yet Samsung fixed that) so I temporarily switched AHCI to Intel RST in BIOS so the installer couldn't see them (it chokes otherwise), installed to a USB drive, and then switched back.

I installed Mojave previously using your guide and it's working fine. Now that I'm trying to update my display turns off after the Apple logo and progress bar (The first cycle), I wait a little and the computer restarts. I followed your suggestions before updating.

I have the same motherboard as you and 9900K.

Any suggestions?
At the top of Post #1 you'll find 3 links regarding upgrade from Mojave to Catalina. Please have a look at those links as shown below:
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 5.17.25 AM.png

At the top of Post #1 you'll find 3 links regarding upgrade from Mojave to Catalina. Please have a look at those links as shown below:
View attachment 435889
I did follow the links and made sure to do all the steps mentioned. Still I get the black screen. Got latest versions of Lilu whatevergreen and AppleALC, rebuilt the cache, and replaced whatevergreen in the /L/E/ folder.

I've updated to 10.15.1 and my iGPU problem is solved.

Now, I just received my 5700 XT, plugged it in and I have a problem. When I use the DisplayPort/HDMI from the card I can see the Apple logo with the loading bar until about 75% and after that the screen turns black. Without restarting the Hackintosh, I switch the monitor to iGPU with HDMI and everything is working fine.

In About this Mac, the Graphics are is blank and if I go to System Report > Graphics, I can see the card. Any idea about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 15.44.28.png

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 15.47.02.png

Screenshot 2019-11-14 at 15.45.54.png

Good morning, everyone! :) So here is where I am now.

Catalina is installed on my machine.
System boots into Catalina when using the USB stick with the installer and Clover boot loader.
System stalls at boot when using Clover from the internal hard drive... not sure why or how to determine the issue.

Suggestions? Please and thank you! :)

Good morning, everyone! :) So here is where I am now.

Catalina is installed on my machine.
System boots into Catalina when using the USB stick with the installer and Clover boot loader.
System stalls at boot when using Clover from the internal hard drive... not sure why or how to determine the issue.

Suggestions? Please and thank you! :)

Boot with -v from internal drive and take a picture and upload it.

Back