Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Sorry, I used the Clover folder that Casey provided yesterday. I originally needed OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 to keep Mojave from giving a prohibited symbol. Do I not need that in Catalina?
Please stay with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 until all problems have been resolved. Then you may try OcQuicks/FwRuntimeServices or AptioMemoryFix.

I tested this and it doesn't work. While I can spoof the subsystem-id with Clover properties (you would use subsystem-id, not RM,subsystem-id in this case), the stock driver still doesn't work, as I guess it checks deeper.

I had a few projects with this build I was going to try. One I was interested in is seeing if we can change the subsystem-id on a deeper level.

The idea is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nics-to-use-small-tree-macos-drivers.1968456/

I'm wondering if that's even possible to do that to the i211, but I just got an Ubuntu install working last night. Linux hates the WD Black SN750 (which unfortunately I have two of in this build, should have just got all Samsung but I got WD because of the Evo Plus bug back then, yet Samsung fixed that) so I temporarily switched AHCI to Intel RST in BIOS so the installer couldn't see them (it chokes otherwise), installed to a USB drive, and then switched back.

I won't be able to test i211 until later, but I built a pfSense box that I once Hackintoshed to get familiar with the process before getting the parts to this build, and it's a Gigabyte B360N Wi-Fi that has an i211, i219, and CNVI just like the Z390 Designare.

I can't mess with the i211 there because I'm using KVM to attach the i211 to pfSense while using the i219 as a LAN bridge. Attempting to do so remotely would break my network and then cut off my access.

I was able to change the i219 subsystem-id though.

I don't think the i211 is even capable of this looking at the datasheet stating the eeprom is internal only, but you never know for sure until you try. I expect it to fail for i211 though.

Dump from my home server where I patched the subsystem-id on the i219. Should also be possible to change the MAC address on the i219 if for any reason someone needs that. Note the 1458:000a on the i219. It used to be e000 like the i211.

Code:
root@ubuntuserver:/# lspci -nnk | grep -A2 Ethernet
        DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak] [8086:0034]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
--
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V [8086:15bc] (rev 10)
        DeviceName: Onboard - Ethernet
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V [1458:000a]
        Kernel driver in use: e1000e
        Kernel modules: e1000e
--
03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation I211 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1539] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd I211 Gigabit Network Connection [1458:e000]
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

Hello @lgabeli87

We generally have no problem installing macOS updates (e.g. 10.14.5 to 10.14.6), macOS upgrades (10.14.x to 10.15.x), and macOS Supplemental/Security fixes. However, I don't recall seeing this update on my system (maybe I just did an Update All and it went through without notice). Anyway, have you seen this post? If using an SMBIOS such as iMacPro1,1 that has a T2 chip, this update may take extra time.
Thanks for pointing this out, but I'm using SMBIOS iMac19,1. I took a photo of the kernel messages. It hangs at this point when booting the installer environment ("Boot mac OS Install from Mojave"). I get the "kextd stall..." message every 4 minutes:
20191114_164508.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out, but I'm using SMBIOS iMac19,1. I took a photo of the kernel messages. It hangs at this point when booting the installer environment ("Boot mac OS Install from Mojave"). I get the "kextd stall..." message every 4 minutes:
View attachment 435915
What version of Clover are you using?

There you go
Please do the following:
  • It seems you might have the alternative KGP FakeSMC kexts in /Library/Extensionsfolder. These are no longer compatible and should be replaced with standard FakeSMC.
    • So please remove the following 6 files from /Library/Extensions:
      • FakeSMC.kext
      • ACPISensors.kext
      • CPUSensors.kext
      • GPUSensors.kext
      • LPCSensors.kext
      • SMMSensors.kext
    • Also delete USBPorts.kext if it's present in /Library/Extensions.
  • Now copy the standard FakeSMC kexts into /Library/Extensions. I've copied all of these files into the attached CLOVER folder (CLOVER/kexts/Other) so just copy them from there into /Library/Extensions:
    • FakeSMC.kext
    • FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
    • FakeSMC_SMMSensors.kext
  • After these 6 files have been copied, rebuild kernel cache by running Kext Utility and waiting for the button on the bottom right side of its window to change to Quit.
  • Then mount EFI partition of the macOS SSD and backup the existing CLOVER folder. And copy the attached CLOVER folder in its place.
  • Check again that WhateverGreen.kext version 1.3.4 is installed in /Library/Extensions.
  • Reboot and see if you still have any problem.
  • You may also need to update Clover. Press "A" at the Clover Boot Menu to identify the version and let us know.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
what version of clover are you using?
After experiencing the problem, I installed the newest version (Clover v2.5k-5098) from github, so I'm using that at the moment, but it didn't solve anything. I'm not sure about the previous version though, I installed it with MultiBeast according to this guide about a week ago.

Step 1:
Let's compare the two CLOVER folders. You've already uploaded the CLOVER (EFI) folder from the internal SSD. Can you please do the same from the USB install disk?

Step 2:
Let's also compare the Clover versions in the two places as follows:
  • Insert USB install disk, boot machine, press F12 at BIOS splash screen to bring up the BIOS boot menu, select the USB install disk.
    • When Clover Boot Menu appears, press "A" (for "About") to see the Clover version.
  • Reboot computer and boot from the internal macOS SSD.
    • When Clover Boot Menu appears, press "A" again to see Clover version.
Here are the requested files attached.

Please stay with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 until all problems have been resolved. Then you may try OcQuicks/FwRuntimeServices or AptioMemoryFix.
Will do!

Attachments

• Internal SSD EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Internal SSD.jpg
    Internal SSD.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 62
  • USB EFI.zip
    17.7 MB · Views: 76
  • USB.jpg
    USB.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 67
@CaseySJ, if I do a similar build again, but use a USB Wi-Fi dongle instead (because using ITX board), what would you recommend to keep Airdrop enabled? Looking at ASUS USB-AC53...

Here are the requested files attached.

Will do!
On the internal SSD, the EFI drivers belong in CLOVER/drivers/UEFI. Most of the drivers were already there, but the old legacy drivers64UEFI folder was still present. I've removed that folder and also added SMCHelper.efi.

Please try the attached CLOVER folder from internal SSD.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 88
After experiencing the problem, I installed the newest version (Clover v2.5k-5098) from github, so I'm using that at the moment, but it didn't solve anything. I'm not sure about the previous version though, I installed it with MultiBeast according to this guide about a week ago.
Please compress and upload the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your Mojave SSD. You may remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist.

Back