Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Yes, most of this build guide applies to the Gigabyte AORUS Master as well, except for some SSDTs in post-installation. The following SSDTs should be okay on AORUS Master:
  • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-NO-CNVW.aml -- this will render the Intel WiFi/BT card invisible to MacOS and allow you to use x1 PCIe slots.
  • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml -- this is only for RX 580 GPUs in PCIe Slot 1.
  • SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT2-V2.aml -- this for RX 580 in Slot 2.
You'll need to create your own custom USB SSDT or apply the three USB port limit removal patches for 10.14.4 (these patches may not work with 10.14.5 and later, so USB SSDT is preferred long term solution).

Thanks for the info. I think now I have a clear path.
Last days I was searching more info with the link you provided and I probably generate the USB SSDT as you adviced.

"About SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml -- this is only for RX 580 GPUs in PCIe Slot 1."
It means that is also compatible with my Asus Vega 56 ?

Best regards

"About SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml -- this is only for RX 580 GPUs in PCIe Slot 1."
It means that is also compatible with my Asus Vega 56 ?
This SSDT is only for the RX 580 in slot 1. The SSDT is informational only -- it provides a device name and slot ID that appear in System Information --> PCI.

Vega GPUs often require custom fan/power curves. This build guide has three spoilers containing information for Vega owners:

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 12.14.51 PM.png

Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for the explanation about the usb-c for iPhone X. I have another question for you about usb devices. Whenever I put my computer to sleep, it just disconnects all external hard drives without ejecting them, hence I see multiple notifications for hard drive incorrectly disconnected when I wake it up. Also I see a lot of the disconnected messages (more than how many devices I have connected), so it seems like it's disconnecting and connecting again when I wake it up. Do you have the same issue? or potentially a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Have you tried darkwake=0 per the guide? Does it lead to problems with iMacPro1,1 and/or Vega 64? I have omitted darkwake altogether in my configuration. I don't mind pressing two keys to wake the system -- my goodness, there are FAR FAR worse problems in this world than having to press 2 keys for wakeup! I seem to get better overall wake-from-sleep repeatability this way, but I have not conducted scientifically rigorous tests to assert this as a fact.
I think it could be patched to be a single click, when I use the power button it wakes up instantly, but when using USB devices it just goes to dark wake, and another click fully wakes the system.

That's pmset -g log output when using power button
2019-04-03 21:08:54 +0200 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to PWRB/User: Using AC (Charge:0%)

and this is when using my bluetooth trackpad or keyboard:
2019-04-03 10:21:00 +0200 DarkWake DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDNP] due to XDCI/: Using AC (Charge:0%) 6 secs
2019-04-03 10:21:06 +0200 Wake DarkWake to FullWake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to HID Activity: Using AC (Charge:0%) 451 secs

On MacBook this is what logged when waking using the trackpad:
2019-04-03 21:33:38 +0200 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to EC.KeyboardTouchpad/User: Using BATT (Charge:100%)

So, I think it's possible if the correct event dispatched it using USB devices it could wake instantly.

Hi CaseySJ,

Thanks for the explanation about the usb-c for iPhone X. I have another question for you about usb devices. Whenever I put my computer to sleep, it just disconnects all external hard drives without ejecting them, hence I see multiple notifications for hard drive incorrectly disconnected when I wake it up. Also I see a lot of the disconnected messages (more than how many devices I have connected), so it seems like it's disconnecting and connecting again when I wake it up. Do you have the same issue? or potentially a fix?

Thanks in advance!
Might you be looking for this? :) I would recommend taking advantage of the 15-day evaluation period to see if it provides the desired behavior on your particular system.
Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 12.43.00 PM.png

Might you be looking for this? :) I would recommend taking advantage of the 15-day evaluation period to see if it provides the desired behavior on your particular system.
View attachment 397214

I thought I read it somewhere before... Sorry! and thank you as always :)

my first post and so I would at first like to say thank you for this great tutorial especially the fine tuning process to get this build work properly (didn't use the beast tools but otherwise I stayed close with these instructions).

This was my first try and so far everything works like it should but I have one strange behavior with my build for which I could need a little help:

I used the i9 9900k instead of the i7 and when I ran for example Prime95 the activity monitor is only showing me 50% of CPU workload. Shouldn't it be 100 ? I assume this has something to do with HT of this processor but does anyone have an idea how to fix this ?
What does the %CPU column in Activity Monitor show while the test is running?

@CaseySJ, quick question. Do I really need the radeon sapphire in my system? I'm going to be editing with FinalCut and Premier plus using Photoshop, AfterEffects, etc. Can I just use the Thunderbolt, HDMI ports? I'm not using more than one screen at a time, I have a 40" TV I'm using as a monitor. I'm planning to buy a new 4K monitor for the future. Thanks for your help, great work!

Back