Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I'm still trying to fine tune some items, but wanted to check if anyone had an update to connecting their phones via thunderbolt. I found some discussion from earlier this month, but the search engine isn't cooperating with me today
Because macOS limits us to 15 logical USB ports, we decided not to activate the USB 2.0 logical ports on each of the two Thunderbolt connectors. We can connect USB 3.x devices to those Thunderbolt ports, but not USB 2.0 devices. Unfortunately, Apple iPhones (including iPhone X and iPhone XS) use the USB 2.0 protocol through the Lightning-to-USB-C cable! So we recommend connecting iPhones using Lightning-to-USB-Type-A cables.
I traded in 3 old iPads to Apple this past weekend and replaced them with an 11-inch iPad Pro. I could extol the (expensive) virtues of this device all day, but this is neither the time nor the place for that!

However, this device has a USB-C port instead of Lightning. Connecting this port to either of the two Thunderbolt 3 ports on the Designare gives us a USB 3 connection.

The top of the line iPhones still communicate over USB 2, but the 2018 iPad Pros (and I believe the 2017 iPad Pros as well) communicate over USB 3.

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 5.49.52 PM.png

Last edited:
It shows 787% (see attachment).
With 8 physical cores, obtaining 787% CPU utilization sounds about right... It's certainly much higher than 50% reported by iStat.

Reactions: emu
BCM94331 is quite old
These (if the 94331CD version) are from 2012 iMacs so the BT and Wifi are Mojave compatible. Sometimes the adapter can be problematic or the seller may not have provided a genuine card. If it's a functional, genuine card, this should work for wifi and BT 4.0. They don't seem to work as well for continuity and handoff features like the 94360CD cards do. The appeal of these one year older 2012 cards is that they can cost 40-50 dollars less than the 94360CD versions. The best way to buy these on Ebay is to purchase from a US seller that has pulled it from a 2012 iMac and can verify it truly is an Apple Broadcom card. The seller should say something like this:
Apple iMac A1418 A1419 Wifi Airport Bluetooth Card 607-8967 BCM94331CD.
Item is used but was pulled from a perfectly working unit.

Last edited:
But when i boot from USB-Stick after a while there is a black monitor. I don´t came to the install menu to initialize the Samsung NVMe. What´s the matter?
Hello Kalypso,

Because you're using on-board HDMI port, it will boot to a black screen when we set the device-id to 0x3E9B or 0x3E92 (or even 0x3E98 in 10.14.4). This is because macOS thinks that all of the video ports on the Designare are DisplayPort, so it sends the wrong signal type to the HDMI connector.

If you don't have a separate graphics card and must therefore use only the iGPU, I recommend buying and using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. You can plug this cable into either of the 2 USB-C ports on the rear IO panel and they will work.

But if you must use HDMI, you should set IntelGFX to something fake such as 0x12345678. This will turn off iGPU acceleration, but this also enables the HDMI port. In post-installation you can add the Framebuffer connector patch described here to properly accelerate the iGPU and enable HDMI at the same time.

Now i´m insecure if my way of installation MacOS on this hackintosh is the right way. It doesn´t seem stable. Can you help me, please?
If you can compress and upload the CLOVER folder from the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD, I can audit it for you.

BCM94331 is quite old -- any reason not to use a 94360CD or 943602CS?

IORegistryExplorer offers another way to obtain the PCI address of a device. In my case the Fenvi appears under RP04, which in turn has a PCI address of 5:0:0 (or 05:0.0 for Clover).

View attachment 397263

Thanks for the reply. It's quite old. It was purely budgetary and I knew it would work out of the box when I was first learning. Back when this was super scary stuff. I'll check Ebay. Preference?

These (if the 94331CD version) are from 2012 iMacs so the BT and Wifi are Mojave compatible. Sometimes the adapter can be problematic or the seller may not have provided a genuine card. If it's a functional, genuine card, this should work for wifi and BT 4.0. They don't seem to work as well for continuity and handoff features like the 94360CD cards do. The appeal of these one year older 2012 cards is that they can cost 40-50 dollars less than the 94360CD versions. The best way to buy these on Ebay is to purchase from a US seller that has pulled it from a 2012 iMac and can verify it truly is an Apple Broadcom card. The seller should say something like this:

It's definitely not the end of the world but I was hoping to follow this KGP guide to change PXSX to ARPT but RP01 (it's port) doesn't show up in my DSDT. Could it really be the adapter card? Can confirm the 94331 is real.

Thanks for the reply. It's quite old. It was purely budgetary and I knew it would work out of the box when I was first learning. Back when this was super scary stuff. I'll check Ebay. Preference?
Before you replace it, let's see if we can make it work...
  • Have you connected the Bluetooth USB cable to the motherboard's internal USB header?
  • Have you installed SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • Have you installed SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5.aml also in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • If so, can you upload your IORegistryExplorer dump (File --> Save As...)?
EDIT: Oops, just realized you have Asus Z370-A Prime so the two SSDTs don't apply.

Is there a way to verify the Intel Wireless patch worked? TheI cannot get my fenvi 919 wireless to work though it works in my other machines using different motherboard.. the bluetooth works.. it won't run in windows 10 but at least shows up in the device manager, just the driver won't load.

I just gave it shot and got nothing. Though, I'm realizing now that my WiFi card doesn't show up under PCI in system info so there's a start. It's in the very first small slot on the board which confuses me a little since the 580 is in the slot below it but considered Slot 1.

BRCM4331cd.
I can't find my wireless card either, I have tried both the small express port and the pciex1_2 and pciex8

Before you replace it, let's see if we can make it work...
  • Have you connected the Bluetooth USB cable to the motherboard's internal USB header?
  • Have you installed SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • Have you installed SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-V5.aml also in CLOVER/ACPI/patched?
  • If so, can you upload your IORegistryExplorer dump (File --> Save As...)?
EDIT: Oops, just realized you have Asus Z370-A Prime so the two SSDTs don't apply.

All good! The card works fine honestly Im just climbing down the rabbit hole of making everything look right and finding where I might be lacking performance. It's fun after all.

Yes and I've got a custom USBinjectall for it.

As for the board, I don't see that many people using them but they're very good and affordable.

Attachments

• iMac.ioreg
    15.5 MB · Views: 93
The card works fine honestly Im just climbing down the rabbit hole of making everything look right and finding where I might be lacking performance.
The rated transfer speeds of the 94331CD compared to the 94360CD are significantly different. Your card has wireless 802.11N while the 94360CD is wireless 802.11AC and can theoretically hit speeds of 1300 Mb/s. Your card only 450 Mb/s.

Back