Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Just want to say thanks to CaseySJ for all the hard work on this great guide. It made for a very easy build for me. I have thunderbolt working on my Apogee Symphony I/O Mk II audio interface as well as my OWC Express 4M2 NVME SSD enclosure.

Just want to say thanks to CaseySJ for all the hard work on this great guide. It made for a very easy build for me. I have thunderbolt working on my Apogee Symphony I/O Mk II audio interface as well as my OWC Express 4M2 NVME SSD enclosure.
Glad to hear it!! And thanks for letting us know about the Apogee and OWC Express devices -- both will go shortly to the Thunderbolt 3 hall of fame!

Just installed it yesterday. Unfortunately this version doesn't bring any fixes or improvements to Thunderbolt. In Q-Flash I noticed that it was built on January 18. So probably it was created before Gigabyte engineers found the fix.
D*mn! Was so hopeful this is it for us TB1 users. Oh well, waiting game again.

Attached is the Geekbench score I get running mine at 5.2 Ghz max.:mrgreen: It throttles as necessary, but it's pretty fast if I need it. I keep my HW Monitor window open all the time to look at temps and spikes. Best of both worlds since its not always running at 5.2Ghz (consuming power) but jumps up to it when I do something intensive. Mind you, I am using mine as a video server constantly so that I can play my movies across my internal network to 3 or 4 different 4K TVs with Plex Media Server as well as to about 10 other people outside my network on demand over 1Gb Fios. My idle temps with the corsair 150i are about 36C, the EVO is at 45C, and the 4 drive RAID hovers between 34C (non use) to about 40C (in use). I didn't do anything special. Just followed the Gigabyte guide (also attached). Be careful though, wrong settings can fry your processor /and/or your board.:banghead: I love my new Hackintosh as well. Beats buying an iMac Pro for $4,000! And that's before adding my 2TB 970 (ouch!) I just got frustrated with waiting on Apple to make the machine I want. They say this year, but I won't be surprised if the machine we get is the machine "they think" we want instead of the actually machine we want. I had some stuff already, but after pouring about $2000 into this rig, I think I made out.

View attachment 386854
Hey @Hackintoshron awesome OC. I followed that same guide but I never got it stable at 5.1GHz without throttling. Mind sharing us the exact settings you changed and the values you used? Thanks in advance!

I think this is what I am supposed to see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.52.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 2.52.38 PM.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 191
I think this is what I am supposed to see.
Yes, that's your confirmation that the correct driver (AppleIntelFramebuffer) is attached to your iGPU.

Yes, that's your confirmation that the correct driver (AppleIntelFramebuffer) is attached to your iGPU.
So... interesting issue.
With the changes made from the directions my computer will run with the Radeon GPU on full and will eventually shut down and reboot until I let it sit.
I went back to my previous config (attached) and that stopped. but now I have some errors listed(see attached)

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 4.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 4.39.08 PM.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 176
So... interesting issue.
With the changes made from the directions my computer will run with the Radeon GPU on full and will eventually shut down and reboot until I let it sit.
I went back to my previous config (attached) and that stopped. but now I have some errors listed(see attached)
Those red lines are actually not errors. They just indicate that certain sub-devices were removed -- nothing to worry about.

The configuration shown actually looks good. The iGPU is activated and running in headless mode because there are no more of these:
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@0
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@1
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@2
These correspond to each of the video output ports. Because of headless configuration, the iGPU will not output any video, hence none of the above.

Those red lines are actually not errors. They just indicate that certain sub-devices were removed -- nothing to worry about.

The configuration shown actually looks good. The iGPU is activated and running in headless mode because there are no more of these:
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@0
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@1
  • AppleIntelFramebuffer@2
These correspond to each of the video output ports. Because of headless configuration, the iGPU will not output any video, hence none of the above.
Sweet! Then it looks like I am golden.

Please try the attached config.plist -- your serial number should of course be copied back.
I have the plist and serials in and I can now put my computer to sleep and wake it up with just one key press. Only the RX 580 is showing up under graphics now. The UHD Graphics 630 is showing up under PCI, but doesn't list any video memory. I have lost Final Cut and iMovie though. They crash on launch. Final Cut was a big reason I was building this computer. In fact, I'm currently in the middle of a video project in Final Cut and need to get back to work on it. After reading over the solutions for Final Cut support on page 1, I figure I now have three options:

Option 1: The two monitor setup after a slight BIOS change. Desk space is at a premium right now. I also don't want to spend any more money on this project at the moment, so buying a thunderbolt to displayport or HDMI adapter is out. For now at least.

Option 2: Reconfigure config.plist to make the OS recognize this computer as an iMac or Mac Pro and change a few other things around. I'm gonna put this option in the maybe pile because I'm not sold on it yet as I don't know if this is dangerous or not. My concern is that I have already logged into my iCloud to this as a Mac Mini and that changing the system is going to draw concern from Apple who could lock me out of my account, potentially worse. There was something in the post-install that said to avoid logging into iCloud with different serials, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution here.

Option 3: Revert back to my old config.plist and live without sleep mode. It'll bring back Final Cut but I'll lose the ability to wake from sleep and the benefits of hardware H.264.

I don't know enough about Macs to figure out a solution that lets me keep my mac mini status, my iGFX, and my wake from sleep, and my Final Cut all at the same time. I admit that I may be overthinking this or just worrying too much. Thoughts?

Back