Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

No problem if your Adobe app show AMD Vega64 is your display adapter.
Just enjoy your sining powerful machine ;-)

I am so happy hear your system shining.

Last edited:
I tried all 4 permutations with FCP - none worked, including the one that previously did (!). So I tried setting "Set Initial Display Output --> IGFX" and then ALL 4 permutations DID work in FCP. However the “media” freezing after sleep bug, as described here, remained:

I am including my current plist here in case you want to check it out.

Furthermore BIOS is upgraded to latest version (F7d) and settings are as suggested in your guide, except for IGFX, as mentioned.

I also tried removing the powermanagement files via terminal, and then rebooted.
You have problem because of you put wrong ig-platform-id. Actually in many cases 0300913E is correct not 0300923E.
Try config.plist I touched.

If you want to know your iGPU work well or not, find my post on 160page of this thread.

good luck

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 158
I have the GC Titan Ridge running with a Z390 Aorus Master. I dont get the need of two pci power cables. I connected none and thunderbolt works just fine...Where actually are the use cases means the need to conmect those 2 pci cables?
Can you please remind us of the following:
  • Did you have to use Windows to initialize the GC-Titan Ridge?
  • Which Thunderbolt 3 SSDT are you using? Did you download it directly from KGP's GitHub Repository?
  • Do you have any problems with hot plug?
Because Thunderbolt 3 can provide up to 100W of power to connected devices, the 2 PCI power cables are used to obtain this power from the power supply. If your connected devices are self-powered then you can probably skip the PCI cables.

But the manual does not say that this is optional. It just says connect them.

You have problem because of you put wrong ig-platform-id. Actually in many cases 0300913E is correct not 0300923E.
Try config.plist I touched.

If you want to know your iGPU work well or not, find my post on 160page of this thread.

good luck

Thanks alot Kennt, through your excellent guide I learned a few days ago how to check that FCP was indeed using the iGPU (using intel power gadget).

I tried your edited config.plist and I got the exact same behavior as described above: FCP works (and uses the iGPU when exporting) but media apps freeze after sleep.

Hi Casey, everyone. I have a few questions:

What’s the significance of the ‘IntelGFX’ field in the ‘Devices’ section, and the ‘ig-platform-id’ in the ‘Graphics’ section? Why do you use 0x0 for IntelGFX during first installation, and then 3E9B8086 during the post-installation?

Does your SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml file perform a functional change, or just make a change to the text displayed in ‘About this Mac’? I have the Vega 56 so I opened up the .aml file to see if it was easily modifiable - TextEdit doesn’t like .aml files, it seems.

I noticed in Clover that there are 3 different OsxAptioFix*Drv-free2000.efi files, did you try all three and then decide that version 2 was the best for your configuration?

And finally, on the previous page of this thread you said that iMac18,3 and iMacPro1,1 are the two SMBIOS options for headless configuration, and that there are just two options for Platform-ID as well (also from @kenntkim66 excellent post on p.160). I want to benefit from the iGPU compute power and enable QuickSync, but run my displays from the DP ports on the Vega - so I must use these options? Do I sacrifice any other feature by using these options instead of Macmini?

Cheers,
Alex

I believe we should never inject a framebuffer using Clover if Lilu/WhateverGreen are installed. So I would blank out that field and see if the system crashes or if any of the video ports on Vega are blank (no vide output). If so, it would be better to search for an alternative solution.

Thanks works great/same left blank

Hi Casey, everyone. I have a few questions:

What’s the significance of the ‘IntelGFX’ field in the ‘Devices’ section, and the ‘ig-platform-id’ in the ‘Graphics’ section? Why do you use 0x0 for IntelGFX during first installation, and then 3E9B8086 during the post-installation?
IntelGFX lets us change the iGPU device ID. On your i7-9700K, the real device ID is 0x3E98, but this ID is not recognized by Mojave because there are no Apple computers currently using 9th Gen Intel CPUs. So Mojave treats the iGPU as an unknown device and activates the non-accelerated VESA driver. During first installation, we leave IntelGFX blank so that Mojave auto-detects the unknown iGPU ID. The non-accelerated VESA driver has one key advantage: it can detect HDMI ports automatically. So if you are installing Mojave without a separate discrete graphics card, and you have an HDMI monitor connected to the motherboard's HDMI output, the screen will not be blank. You will not have accelerated video, but you will have video!

During post-installation we get rid of the unknown device ID and tell Mojave to use the known device ID of 0x3E9B8086. But then HDMI port will not function. That's why post-installation procedure also applies a Framebuffer connector patch to enable HDMI.

Because different Macintosh computers have different features and some Macintosh computers have the same features, Apple uses the concept of a "Platform ID" or ig-platform-id. Platform ID tells MacOS to enable or disable various features in the O/S that are or are not supported on a particular Macintosh. The most important feature that we care about is "headless" iGPU. Some Macintosh computers have dual graphics cards inside -- an iGPU and a Discrete GPU. If the iGPU is not used to drive a display monitor, we say that it is running in "headless" mode. So if you want to only use your Discrete GPU to drive a display monitor then use a headless Platform ID (and a compatible SMBIOS name).

Does your SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-V2.aml file perform a functional change, or just make a change to the text displayed in ‘About this Mac’? I have the Vega 56 so I opened up the .aml file to see if it was easily modifiable - TextEdit doesn’t like .aml files, it seems.
The RX580 is informational only. It serves no functional purpose. The Vega64 SSDT serves both roles -- its functional role is to impart fan and power curves.

I noticed in Clover that there are 3 different OsxAptioFix*Drv-free2000.efi files, did you try all three and then decide that version 2 was the best for your configuration?
All of the Aptio Memory Fix drivers were tested. The only one found to work reliably with multiple PCIe cards is OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. Note that there are quite a few of these drivers:
  • AptioMemoryFix-64 -- this works well if you only have 1 card in 1 PCIe slot.
  • OsxAptioFixDrv-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
  • OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 <-- some have suggested that this might work
  • OsxLowMemFixDrv-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000
And finally, on the previous page of this thread you said that iMac18,3 and iMacPro1,1 are the two SMBIOS options for headless configuration, and that there are just two options for Platform-ID as well (also from @kenntkim66 excellent post on p.160). I want to benefit from the iGPU compute power and enable QuickSync, but run my displays from the DP ports on the Vega - so I must use these options? Do I sacrifice any other feature by using these options instead of Macmini?
If you plan to use Final Cut Pro or iMovie, and you don't intend to use any of the motherboard video ports, then you are better off using a headless configuration. Some people have reported sleep/wake problems, but if you follow the build guide carefully, you may end up with a fully working system..

Thank you Casey!

So for a headless config, using only the DP ports on the Vega - I need:

Clover/Devices/Fake ID/IntelGFX -> 0x3E9B8086
Clover/Graphics/ig-platform-id -> 0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003
Clover/SMBIOS -> iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1
Lilu and WhateverGreen installed
BIOS -> IGPU enabled
BIOS -> Initial Display Output set to 'PCIe Slot 1'

Sound about right? I've been reading your Framebuffer guide and it's beginning to make a bit more sense now.

With the Vega64 SSDT you posted - is this interchangeable between 56 and 64? Are both cards enough the same for fan and power control?

Last edited:
IntelGFX lets us change the iGPU device ID. On your i7-9700K, the real device ID is 0x3E98, but this ID is not recognized by Mojave because there are no Apple computers currently using 9th Gen Intel CPUs. So Mojave treats the iGPU as an unknown device and activates the non-accelerated VESA driver. During first installation, we leave IntelGFX blank so that Mojave auto-detects the unknown iGPU ID. The non-accelerated VESA driver has one key advantage: it can detect HDMI ports automatically. So if you are installing Mojave without a separate discrete graphics card, and you have an HDMI monitor connected to the motherboard's HDMI output, the screen will not be blank. You will not have accelerated video, but you will have video!

During post-installation we get rid of the unknown device ID and tell Mojave to use the known device ID of 0x3E9B8086. But then HDMI port will not function. That's why post-installation procedure also applies a Framebuffer connector patch to enable HDMI.

Because different Macintosh computers have different features and some Macintosh computers have the same features, Apple uses the concept of a "Platform ID" or ig-platform-id. Platform ID tells MacOS to enable or disable various features in the O/S that are or are not supported on a particular Macintosh. The most important feature that we care about is "headless" iGPU. Some Macintosh computers have dual graphics cards inside -- an iGPU and a Discrete GPU. If the iGPU is not used to drive a display monitor, we say that it is running in "headless" mode. So if you want to only use your Discrete GPU to drive a display monitor then use a headless Platform ID (and a compatible SMBIOS name).

The RX580 is informational only. It serves no functional purpose. The Vega64 SSDT serves both roles -- its functional role is to impart fan and power curves.

All of the Aptio Memory Fix drivers were tested. The only one found to work reliably with multiple PCIe cards is OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. Note that there are quite a few of these drivers:
  • AptioMemoryFix-64 -- this works well if you only have 1 card in 1 PCIe slot.
  • OsxAptioFixDrv-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
  • OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 <-- some have suggested that this might work
  • OsxLowMemFixDrv-64
  • OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000
If you plan to use Final Cut Pro or iMovie, and you don't intend to use any of the motherboard video ports, then you are better off using a headless configuration. Some people have reported sleep/wake problems, but if you follow the build guide carefully, you may end up with a fully working system..

Casey,

Can I ask about the audio inject only step. Are we supposed to leave the "frame buffer". I tried inserting the text above it and got an error. In my case I am using the headless GPU configuration. Since I moved all the kexts to the library I lost audio out so would like to implement this last step. Thanks so much and sorry for being a bit ignorant .

Thank you Casey!

So for a headless config, using only the DP ports on the Vega - I need:

Clover/Devices/Fake ID/IntelGFX -> 0x3E9B8086
Clover/Graphics/ig-platform-id -> 0x3E910003 or 0x3E920003
Clover/SMBIOS -> iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1
Lilu and WhateverGreen installed

Sound about right? I've been reading your Framebuffer guide and it's beginning to make a bit more sense now.
Yes that's correct, but also need to check-on "Inject Intel".

However, come to think of it, it may be better to specify both device-id and platform ID using WhateverGreen instead of Clover. In that case we need to:
  • Clover --> Graphics --> Uncheck "Inject Intel"
  • Clover --> Graphics --> Clear out the ig-platform-id field
  • Clover --> Devices --> Set IntelGFX to 0x0
And then add these properties:

With the Vega64 SSDT you posted - is this interchangeable between 56 and 64? Are both cards enough the same for fan and power control?
This SSDT may work on Vega56 as well, but it will display the name as Vega64. That's easy enough to change with MaciASL. However, actual Vega owners have reported better results using the Vega56 and Vega64 Fan and Crash settings in the build guide:

Back