Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are you using the Designare Z390 motherboard with either 8th or 9th gen Intel CPU? If the screen goes completely black, it most likely means that your config.plist is activating the iGPU, but framebuffer patches have not been installed.

So if you are in fact using the Designare Z390 board, please compress and upload just the CLOVER folder from EFI partition of your USB install disk.
Hi again Casey!
I solved my problem, now I have the fully working machine :D
I think the problem was what you said in the previous post. I edited my config.plist with the patch for the HD630 to drive the HDMI and DP and now it works.
Thanks for the availability!

Hi again Casey!
I solved my problem, now I have the fully working machine :D
I think the problem was what you said in the previous post. I edited my config.plist with the patch for the HD630 to drive the HDMI and DP and now it works.
Thanks for the availability!
Glad to hear it -- another fully working system!

Kristofer, several questions and comments:
  • Which SMBIOS name are you using? iMacPro1,1 or iMac18,3?
  • Have you tried Platform ID 0x3E910003 instead of 0x3E920003? See also items 6 and 7 here.
  • There are 2 known configurations in which FCPX (and iMovie) will work:
    • Switching from Macmini8,1 to a headless platformID such as the 2 mentioned above.
    • Staying with Macmini8,1 and staying with platformID 0x33E9B0007, but setting BIOS --> Initial Display Output to IGFX instead of PCIe Slot 1. In this case, the BIOS and Clover screens will only appear through the IGPU (or motherboard HDMI/USB-C ports). But when Mojave boots up, the login screen will appear through the RX580.
    • In this case you can plug 2 video cables to a single monitor (one cable from motherboard and one from RX580) or use 2 monitors.
P.S. I just updated this section of the the Build Guide.

Thanks Casey, I followed the headless instructions using Mac18,3 - testing both AAPL,ig-platform-id 0300923E and 0300913E. FCPX still crashes.

I do see some iGPU activity when testing a video in QT player:

Config screenshots:

Though the solution above would be my preferred, I will test the Solution1 / Macmini8,1 now. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Staying with Macmini8,1 and staying with platformID 0x33E9B0007, but setting BIOS --> Initial Display Output to IGFX instead of PCIe Slot 1. In this case, the BIOS and Clover screens will only appear through the IGPU (or motherboard HDMI/USB-C ports). But when Mojave boots up, the login screen will appear through the RX580.

In this case you can plug 2 video cables to a single monitor (one cable from motherboard and one from RX580) or use 2 monitors.

In order to avoid booting into a black screen, may I first check with you that this is what you meant? See screens:

Yeah, relocating the reciever did it. I'm up to date on my USB now too.

I made a copy in a different folder and removed the serial numbers. The plan is to copy/paste the serials back into the new config.plist and replace the file in my EFI/CLOVER folder.
Please try the attached config.plist -- your serial number should of course be copied back.

Attachments

• config-ventilator.plist
    11.6 KB · Views: 129
In order to avoid booting into a black screen, may I first check with you that this is what you meant? See screens:
View attachment 386923

View attachment 386924
Apologies for the typo, which I just fixed in previous post. Platform ID is 0x3E9B0007 (not 0x33E9B0007). Also need to enable "Inject Intel" in screenshot 1. The rest is correct.

Additionally, for the AORUS Elite we can enable the on-board HDMI video port by using the Framebuffer patch here:

This can be done AFTER you have solved the FCPX crash problem. If you need help with this, just upload your config.plist. (This is only applicable if you use a non-headless platform-ID such as 0x3E9B0007.)

Last edited:
Apologies for the typo, which I just fixed in previous post. Platform ID is 0x3E9B0007 (not 0x33E9B0007). Also need to enable "Inject Intel" in screenshot 1. The rest is correct.

Excellent, the two cable method worked and FCPX seems stable! :D I tried exporting video and judging from "Intel Power Gadget" the iGPU did quite a bit of work!

Additionally, for the AORUS Elite we can enable the on-board HDMI video port by using the Framebuffer patch here:

This can be done AFTER you have solved the FCPX crash problem. If you need help with this, just upload your config.plist. (This is only applicable if you use a non-headless platform-ID such as 0x3E9B0007.)

Since I was able to see the boot screen using the two cable method, albeit with a lower resolution - I don't think this is needed?

If you do want to troubleshoot why the 18,3 method did not work for me - I am happy to send you that config.plist. I am also perfectly happy with this workaround though - it's either way for me :) Thanks again Casey!

Excellent, the two cable method worked and FCPX seems stable! :D I tried exporting video and judging from "Intel Power Gadget" the iGPU did quite a bit of work!

Since I was able to see the boot screen using the two cable method, albeit with a lower resolution - I don't think this is needed?

If you do want to troubleshoot why the 18,3 method did not work for me - I am happy to send you that config.plist. I am also perfectly happy with this workaround though - it's either way for me :) Thanks again Casey!
Glad to hear it!

So the HDMI port on your motherboard is working without any Framebuffer patches?

Kristofer, several questions and comments:
  • Which SMBIOS name are you using? iMacPro1,1 or iMac18,3?
  • Have you tried Platform ID 0x3E910003 instead of 0x3E920003? See also items 6 and 7 here.
  • There are 2 known configurations in which FCPX (and iMovie) will work:
    • Switching from Macmini8,1 to a headless platformID such as the 2 mentioned above.
    • Staying with Macmini8,1 and staying with platformID 0x3E9B0007, but setting BIOS --> Initial Display Output to IGFX instead of PCIe Slot 1. In this case, the BIOS and Clover screens will only appear through the IGPU (or motherboard HDMI/USB-C ports). But when Mojave boots up, the login screen will appear through the RX580.
    • In this case you can plug 2 video cables to a single monitor (one cable from motherboard and one from RX580) or use 2 monitors.
P.S. I just updated this section of the the Build Guide.

Casey any idea if the system definition for Vega 64 under framebuffer? I saw I shouldn’t use the Orinoco definition with your updates . Thanks!

Glad to hear it!

So the HDMI port on your motherboard is working without any Framebuffer patches?
Yes correct. I don't believe I have any such patches in place.

Back