Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

I have 750W
I just would like everything Working!!!
And in the Phase I do not need the Vega just use intel!
With I think your last update it shows both graphics in System description! But just Black Screen
The otherone worked a little bit but broke down at games internet everwhere.
That reply was intended for someone else!!

Hello!
I followed the guide and my machine works nearly flawlessly! Thanks a lot! (Using Firmware F5)
Glad to hear it! It seems the Designare Z390 motherboard is sold out in many places. I wonder if we had anything to do with that?! ;)

However, I am still having issues with the integrated Intel GPU.
The RX 580 is my main GPU and sits in SLOT 2. SLOT 1 is occupied by a PCIe Broadcom WIFI + Bluetooth module because it is the only card that fits under the massive Noctua DH-15 cooler. My main display is a DELL U2718Q 4K display, attached to the RX 580 via DisplayPort.

When I first did setup everything up with MacMini8,1 SMBIOS and enabled iGPU along all the other settings from the guide, viewing JPG-files worked flawlessly. However, sleep did not. It would only wake up once, or hang for an eternity.
In addition to that, the Designare often would emit 4 long beeps during POST, supposedly because it is unable to detect a primary display. After the series of beeps, it will boot into CLOVER and even the BIOS without any issues.
Because your graphics card is in Slot 2, have you changed your BIOS as follows:
Peripherals
  • Initial Display Output → PCIe Slot 1. If your discrete graphics card is in Slot 2, change this to PCIe Slot 2.
And you may copy the attached "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT-2.aml" to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. But of course delete the old one: "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml".

When I disable the iGPU or make it headless, the system boots and sleeps just fine. But the JPG view does not work. I then attempted headless mode, as described in the Final Cut Pro X section of the guide and applied all the settings in my Clover config.plist. The iGPU would not show in 'System Information', but I guess that is normal, right?
It would however be displayed in iStat Menus - as one bar indicating its memory use, without any other labels than "GPU" associated with it.
In headless mode, iGPU will not appear in System Information.

However, please enable the iGPU in BIOS, set the Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 2, change SMBIOS back to Macmini8,1, and ensure that everything is working normally again (except sleep).

Once you have reestablished a good-working-condition, then we'll try to fix sleep.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT-2.aml
    1.2 KB · Views: 52
For reference for any future person seeing this thread wanting an up to date port layout for the Z390 Xtreme.

Edit: Fixed typo @CaseySJ (Thanks)
Nicely done! I'm uploading it to the build guide.

Good questions! Although I do not have an official answer, this is my understanding:
  • M2M
    • Ties up two SATA ports, which suggests full PCIe x4 capability.
    • In BIOS you can assign these PCIe lanes to either the CPU or PCH. By default, the lanes are assigned to PCH. But if you assign them to CPU you will get even faster I/O.
    • So I interpret "M2M" to be: M.2 "multi-mode". This is just my own mnemonic.
    • Because I'm using an ADATA M.2 PCIe x4 SSD, it is plugged into this M2M slot.
  • M2P
    • Ties up one SATA port, which suggests perhaps PCIe x2 capability.
    • The PCIe lanes for this slot are assigned to PCH only. There is no option in BIOS to change this.
    • So I interpret "M2P" to be: M.2 "PCH-controlled".
I have the Z390 Designare. I just switched a WD Black 1TB NVMe (3.0x4) drive from the M2M to M2P slot, because I noticed in the BIOS, under 'peripherals/plugin in Devices info' it showed M.2 Slot Info "M2M:WDS100T2X0C-00L350 NVMe 3.0 x4 @ 3.0 x4". Note it says @ 3.0 x4. SO...I moved the drive, which I WAS able to do WITHOUT removing the EVGA GTX 1060 (6163 is in part number)..there was just enough room raise the end of the stick etc even though had to 'slide' it over to get in position etc. Anyway, after moving the drive the the M2P slot it STILL shows the @ 3.0 x4 in the BIOS "M2P:...NVMe 3.0 x4 @ 3.0 x4. So THAT MAY contradict any performance concerns, but maybe still somewhat unconfirmed without some testing that I don't know what software to use for m.2 drive testing. ALSO, Please explain "In BIOS you can assign these PCIe lanes to either the CPU or PCH. By default, the lanes are assigned to PCH"...because the only thing I can find is 'PCIe x4 switch' which is says changes the 'PCIe x4' slot from PCH to CPU...doesn't seem to be M.2 but IDK that's why I ask . ALSO, you said M2P is PCH only...how do you know that? Please explain. ALSO I did note someone report that using M2M slot (not M2P) may be required for mac os boot use or something. THANKS! btw I'm on win10, hate it vs win7. Have never tried hackintosh, but may get another drive and try it this year !

I have the z390 Designare. I just switched a WD Black 1TB NVMe (3.0x4) drive from the M2M to M2P slot,

All the research I can find on the M2M and M2P is that it is a naming convention. The choice matters as far as how it affects the SATA ports which the manual discusses. If anyone knows or has other info would greatly appreciate it. I originally thought the "M" was mother board and the "P" Processor but that seemed to have been debunked.
Jules

I have the z390 Designare. I just switched a WD Black 1TB NVMe (3.0x4) drive from the M2M to M2P slot, because I noticed in the BIOS, under 'peripherals/plugin in Devices info' it showed M.2 Slot Info "M2M:WDS100T2X0C-00L350 NVMe 3.0 x4 @ 3.0 x4". Note it says @ 3.0 x4. SO...I moved the drive, which I WAS able to do WITHOUT removing the EVGA GTX 1060 (6163 is in part number)..there was just enough room raise the end of the stick etc even though had to 'slide' it over to get in position etc. Anyway, after moving the drive the the M2P slot it STILL shows the @ 3.0 x4 in the BIOS "M2P:...NVMe 3.0 x4 @ 3.0 x4. So THAT , MAY contradict any performance concerns, but mabye still somewhat unconfirmed without some testing that I don't know what software to use for m.2 drive testing.
Thanks -- this confirms that both M.2 slots operate on a maximum of 4 PCIe lanes.

ALSO, Please explain "In BIOS you can assign these PCIe lanes to either the CPU or PCH. By default, the lanes are assigned to PCH"...because the only thing I can find is 'PCIe x4 switch' which is says changes the 'PCIe x4' slot from PCH to CPU...doesn't seem to be M.2 but IDK that's why I ask .
You are right -- that option in BIOS controls the lanes for the bottom long slot (x4 slot), not the M2M slot.

ALSO, you said M2P is PCH only...how do you know that? Please explain.
From page 29 of the manual:
  • The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5 connectors. The M2P connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0, 1 connectors.
Because SATA is controlled by PCH (Chipset) and M2M/M2P are sharing bandwidth with SATA, it follows that PCH is controlling M2M/M2P.
ALSO I did note someone report that using M2M slot (not M2P) may be required for mac os boot use or something.
Either M2M or M2P works perfectly with macOS.

Your IOReg looks fine. Have you tried changing SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1? You are currently using iMac18,3.
Hi! I tried iMacPro1,1. It improve my system but flickering still there . My video playing now is almost 90% normal which is something else I noticed after I change my SMBIOS to iMacPro1,1
I’m using Tuxera NTFS to read and write on my internal HDD as it is formatted as NTFS. it was working fine with iMac 18,1, but, after change to iMacPro1,1, I cant write on my HDD, only read. I purchased this program, and I have valid license.

I'm in doubt about what to do...

One of by front USB 3 ports is not working. Initially I tought it was the cable or the usb plug provided by my Phanteks case. I informed Phanteks about this, and they will send me a new cable.

But since they have not sent yet, I remembered that I had exactly the same cable that came with my 'old' Nvidia Graphics card that I have now for sale. So I tried with that cable, and the problem persists. So it seems that there is a problem with my motherbord usb 3 head. I've checked carefully, and I have no bended or broken pins, so I really don't know the cause.

My doubt now is after all this work, putting things on place, and make the proper configurations, if I complaint to Gigabyte (or to Amazon where I bought), probably they will tell me to send back defective motherboard.

I really don't know if I should/could live with less one usb port in the front of the case, even that I know that these are the ports we mostly use , just because of the work it will cause, or if I should send it back and put again everything in place.

Is a quite expensive board to have this kind of problem. I just can't decide.

What you people would do?

Back