Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

One of by front USB 3 ports is not working.
  • Are you using the same case as me (Phanteks Evolv X)?
  • If so, which USB 3 port is not working?
  • Did it work before?
  • If you plug something into the "bad" port and run IORegistryExplorer, do you see anything under the XHC node in the tree?
Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 12.23.36 PM.png

• Are you using the same case as me (Phanteks Evolv X)?
  • If so, which USB 3 port is not working?
  • Did it work before?
  • If you plug something into the "bad" port and run IORegistryExplorer, do you see anything under the XHC node in the tree?
View attachment 380836

- Yes I'm using the same case.
- The USB 3 Port not working is the middle one, that you mark as HS05/SS05
- I Think it never worked before
- Nothing happens on XHC tree

When I plug any device, none of them shows any light. And most important is that this port does not work on Windows either. So it looks really a motherboard problem :(

There's a new BIOS firmware available (F5g). But I don't think it will work, because on release note only mentions support 32GB UDIMM.

- Yes I'm using the same case.
- The Usb 3 Port not working is the middle one, that you mark as HS05/SS05
- I Think it never worked before
- Nothing happens on XHC tree

When I plug any device, none of them shows any light. And most important is that this port does not work on Windows either. so it looks really a motherboard problem :(

There's a new Bios firmware available (F5g). But I don't think it will work, because on release note only mentions support 32GB UDIMM.
I just tested that port and it works. So you might have a bad front I/O panel...ouch!

I just tested that port and it works. So you might have a bad front I/O panel...ouch!

Is even worst then that, because that would be easy to substitute, with the support from Phanteks. The thing is that I have a cable with front panel form other board, and tried to plug in the same MB header, and one of the USB does not work. So clearly is a MB problem..... I really don't know if I will return it or not.......

In the case I return it... if I use same disks (and with all the settings applied until now), and if I save BIOS file, when I install the new MB it will be the same as booting from this board right?

Is even worst then that, because that would be esasy to substitute, with the support from phanteks. The thing is that i have a cable with front pannel form other board, and tried to plug in the same MB header, and one of the usb does not work. So clearly is a MB problem..... I really don't know if I will return it or not.......

In the case I return it... if I use same disks (and with all the settings applied until now), and if I save BIOS file, when I install the new MB it will be the same as booting from this board right?
I see!

And yes you can replace motherboard and new one will be plug-and-play. Just ensure that BIOS is set correctly.

Well it will take me a lot of time, but I will return it. Already asked replacement to Amazon.es. It was too expensive to have a problem and keep it like this....

Thanks -- this confirms that both M.2 slots operate on a maximum of 4 PCIe lanes.

You are right -- that option in BIOS controls the lanes for the bottom long slot (x4 slot), not the M2M slot.

From page 29 of the manual:
  • The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5 connectors. The M2P connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 0, 1 connectors.
Because SATA is controlled by PCH (Chipset) and M2M/M2P are sharing bandwidth with SATA, it follows that PCH is controlling M2M/M2P.

Either M2M or M2P works perfectly with macOS.
Thanks! Yeah, but, as other speculated/believed, if the slots are operationally identical, then why does one slot steal one SATA port and one steals two?
Fully detailed explanations along with buss diagrams is what we need from manufacturers about things like this! They should be obligated to do so! And I saw one hkintosher say it would not boot macOS on the M2P slot but when they put in M2M slot it would! sorry to go over that again but I think it was in this Designare thread that was reported, was that later found to not really be an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear it! It seems the Designare Z390 motherboard is sold out in many places. I wonder if we had anything to do with that?! ;)

Because your graphics card is in Slot 2, have you changed your BIOS as follows:
Peripherals
  • Initial Display Output → PCIe Slot 1. If your discrete graphics card is in Slot 2, change this to PCIe Slot 2.
And you may copy the attached "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580-SLOT-2.aml" to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. But of course delete the old one: "SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-RX580.aml".

In headless mode, iGPU will not appear in System Information.

However, please enable the iGPU in BIOS, set the Initial Display Output to PCIe Slot 2, change SMBIOS back to Macmini8,1, and ensure that everything is working normally again (except sleep).

Once you have reestablished a good-working-condition, then we'll try to fix sleep.

Well, I am sure Gigabyte sold quite a few units to Hackintosh-ers throughout the years... :lol:
Thank you for your help! To the best of my ability, I had already implemented those changes - as written in your fantastic guide. That's why I asked here in the first place.

Good news though! I have no idea why, but JPEG viewing, MacMini8,1 system definition, Final Cut Pro X Trial and Sleep appear to work fine now after some tinkering with config.plist!
However, I had to leave the "Inject Intel" box checked, which means the iGPU now also appears in "System Profiler". Whenever I disabled that, the nameless GPU would show up in iStat Menu, but JPEGs and Final Cut would just crash. I thought this wasn't supposed to work? I actually have the settings in Devices -> Properties (framebuffer-patch-enable, AAPL,ig... etc.) in my config.plist file, got the 0x3E9B8086 in Fake ID, Orionco in the Framebuffer (FB Name) selection while leaving Inject Intel checked. Btw. I manually upgraded my CLOVER version to r4844 after doing all the MultiBeast stuff.

I have just successfully exported a video in FCP and put my system to sleep several times.

If it hadn't been for your guide, I would probably not have considered getting myself a new Hackintosh.
I became a member of this forum at the end of 2010 and built my first Intel Hackintosh in January 2011. The Gigabyte board was awful and turned out to be faulty after years... Very unhappy. Lots of crashes, random reboots, ...
Building this new machine, I was quite anxious about random reboot, crashes, kernel panics, ... I know those can / could be sorted out, but if it makes a good first impression, that would definitely be a much better experience.
(I have done several non-golden builds without guides, like an Intel Haswell Desktop board that nobody heard of, etc, so generally speaking, I am quite familiar with osx86)
But this has been the smoothest Hackintosh experience for me - ever! (SO FAR, haha)
Like literally... Regardless of what I configured, the machine never hung during OS X boot (except for the USB install, for which I temporarily inserted a compatible USB3 PCI-E card), never crashed, no application crashes, no crackling audio, no crazy fans, no micro-stuttering, no nothing. I don't know why this configuration is not in the official tonymacx86 CustoMac guide. It's definitely a golden build! I got everything working on just one weekend! Now I'll only have to reinstall OS X onto the main drive, polish things up, enable iMessage and iCloud ... AND MOVE MY STUFF. :lol:

Thanks a lot to all the people who were involved in exploring the Z390 platform / this motherboard and its quirks. :clap:

Well, I am sure Gigabyte sold quite a few units to Hackintosh-ers throughout the years... :lol:
Thank you for your help! To the best of my ability, I had already implemented those changes - as written in your fantastic guide. That's why I asked here in the first place.

Good news though! I have no idea why, but JPEG viewing, MacMini8,1 system definition, Final Cut Pro X Trial and Sleep appear to work fine now after some tinkering with config.plist!
However, I had to leave the "Inject Intel" box checked, which means the iGPU now also appears in "System Profiler". Whenever I disabled that, the nameless GPU would show up in iStat Menu, but JPEGs and Final Cut would just crash. I thought this wasn't supposed to work? I actually have the settings in Devices -> Properties (framebuffer-patch-enable, AAPL,ig... etc.) in my config.plist file, got the 0x3E9B8086 in Fake ID, Orionco in the Framebuffer (FB Name) selection while leaving Inject Intel checked. Btw. I manually upgraded my CLOVER version to r4844 after doing all the MultiBeast stuff.

I have just successfully exported a video in FCP and put my system to sleep several times.

If it hadn't been for your guide, I would probably not have considered getting myself a new Hackintosh.
I became a member of this forum at the end of 2010 and built my first Intel Hackintosh in January 2011. The Gigabyte board was awful and turned out to be faulty after years... Very unhappy. Lots of crashes, random reboots, ...
Building this new machine, I was quite anxious about random reboot, crashes, kernel panics, ... I know those can / could be sorted out, but if it makes a good first impression, that would definitely be a much better experience.
(I have done several non-golden builds without guides, like an Intel Haswell Desktop board that nobody heard of, etc, so generally speaking, I am quite familiar with osx86)
But this has been the smoothest Hackintosh experience for me - ever! (SO FAR, haha)
Like literally... Regardless of what I configured, the machine never hung during OS X boot (except for the USB install, for which I temporarily inserted a compatible USB3 PCI-E card), never crashed, no application crashes, no crackling audio, no crazy fans, no micro-stuttering, no nothing. I don't know why this configuration is not in the official tonymacx86 CustoMac guide. It's definitely a golden build! I got everything working on just one weekend! Now I'll only have to reinstall OS X onto the main drive, polish things up, enable iMessage and iCloud ... AND MOVE MY STUFF. :lol:

Thanks a lot to all the people who were involved in exploring the Z390 platform / this motherboard and its quirks. :clap:
Very glad to hear of the smooth experience, and thank you also for sharing your prior experience!! For the reliability and thoroughness of these systems I think we owe much to the developers who have built and fine-tuned all of the critical tools that make this happen -- such as Clover, FakeSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, Hackintool, AppleALC, USBInjectAll, Clover Configurator, and others.

While we have sorted out most problems, we know others remain such as HDMI hot plug issues, erratic crashes with FCP, graphics glitches, and fussy Messages and FaceTime activations. But the tools will improve, workarounds will be found, and our systems will become better over time.

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah, but, as other speculated/believed, if the slots are operationally identical, then why does one slot steal one SATA port and one steals two?
The only answer I can think of is this:
  • The CPU provides 16 PCIe lanes, but all are dedicated to the 3 long PCIe slots (not the short x1 slots).
  • The PCH provides 24 PCIe lanes for everything else including SATA, M.2, CNVi, USB, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi, PCIe x1 slots, Thunderbolt, etc.
  • The M2M slot probably shares all lanes with SATA.
  • The M2P slot probably shares some lanes with SATA, but may have dedicated lanes as well.
  • The illustration below is from AnandTech (annotated by me, however).
z390-chipset-product-brief-page-005-annotated.png
Fully detailed explanations along with buss diagrams is what we need from manufacturers about things like this! They should be obligated to do so!
Agreed!

Last edited:
Back