Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Glad to hear it and welcome to the forum! Some graphics card (your Nitro+ being a good case in point) won't function without CSM Support being enabled. There's no harm in turning this on. But if your GPU works without CSM Support, we recommend CSM Support to be disabled because this allows the system to be more UEFI-compliant.
Yes, I have a Nitro+ :)
Just experienced that there is no quick look (preview) for jpeg files. Can you solve this?
The previous configurations has been improved by changing the System definition.

If you encounter any problems, let us know. At least two or three people here have installed High Sierra.

Alas, my somewhat opinionated mind (and who doesn't have an opinionated mind?) refuses to perpetuate the past. High Sierra will be two generations behind when Catalina is released next month (or shortly thereafter).

I abandoned my 2008 Mac Pro and built this Hackintosh precisely because I was eager to embrace the most current and future technologies. So I let others provide the help needed for installation of past operating systems! ;)

Sapphire Pulse GPUs are very affordable now so maybe I'll just take the plunge. I'll have to do the upgrade sooner or later.

I plan on digging through this very long thread more thoroughly, but should the 8700k be equally compatible with the 9700k? Are they not the same, except for two additional cores on the 9700k?

Sapphire Pulse GPUs are very affordable now so maybe I'll just take the plunge. I'll have to do the upgrade sooner or later.

I plan on digging through this very long thread more thoroughly, but should the 8700k be equally compatible with the 9700k? Are they not the same, except for two additional cores on the 9700k?
Good plan! And yes the 8700K is fully compatible.

Yes, I have a Nitro+ :)
Just experienced that there is no quick look (preview) for jpeg files. Can you solve this?
The previous configurations has been improved by changing the System definition.
First step would be to set Platform ID to 0x3E980003 (headless) and un-check "Inject Intel" as described here:
There may be another step needed, but please start with this.

I looked through the log files using Terminal, as I thought I'd seen the word error flash by. I was correct
Once you know where it is it's not too difficult to see it during boot as the text stops rolling for a second
As far as I can see it has no effect on the running of OS X whatsoever - just bugs me that it's there :(
Good eye. And yes it is better to fix this -- it should not be happening.

Because I don't own a Thunderbolt monitor, I can only speculative. Here's something to try at your own discretion. This in itself is not a solution, but it might provide a little more background information. So it's entirely optional...
  • Disconnect the DisplayPort cable from the DP-In port.
  • Enable iGPU in BIOS.
  • Set Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 (non-headless).
  • Connect Thunderbolt cable from either of the two TB3 ports to the LG UltraFine 5K monitor.
  • Do you get a picture? Is it 4K or 5K?
  • The iGPU (UHD 630) can drive a Thunderbolt 5K display directly.
Then do this:
  • Without powering down or rebooting the system, disconnect the Thunderbolt cable from the computer.
  • Connect the Radeon VII to the DP-In port.
  • Connect the Thunderbolt cable to the correct TB3 port.
  • Do you still get a picture?
  • If so, does "Graphcis/Displays" indicate it's driven by the Radeon or by the IGPU?
Ok I did as what you suggested:
hee are the observations:-
During first step, the system boot up just fine:-
I got 5K picture without any issues. But when I saw About My Mac, the graphics item was blank showing nothing at all, I have attached the image. Also inside system report graphics/Display' shows Radeon VII but doesn't show if it was driving the display.

Then I connected GPU to the DP-in port, reconnected the monitor, it turned back on, started showing Graphics as AMD Radeon VII and system report 'Graphics/Display' showed that Radeon VII was driving the UltraFine display.

What might be going wrong ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.47.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.47.42 AM.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.47.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.47.19 AM.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.49.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.49.34 AM.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.54.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.54.20 AM.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.54.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.54.07 AM.png
    394 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I did as what you suggested:
hee are the observations:-
During first step, the system boot up just fine:-
I got 5k picture without any issues. But when I saw about my mac, the graphics item was blank showing nothing at all, I have attached the image. Also inside system report graphics/Display' shows Radeon VII but doesn't show if it was driving the display.

Then I connected GPU to the DP-in port, reconnected the monitor, it turned back on, started showing Graphics as AMD Radeon VII and system report 'Graphics/Display' showed that Radeon VII was driving the ultrafine display.

What might be going wrong ?
This experiment was designed to test whether the motherboard can switch DisplayPort streams between the iGPU and dGPU when the dGPU is connected to DP-In port. And the results show that yes indeed it can, as we would expect.

The missing Graphics info in About this Mac is strange but might have been a one-off. Or is it always reproducible? Nevertheless, I don't think it bears any functional impact.

The real question though is whether the LG 5K monitor can function properly from startup with:
  • Monitor connected to the TB3 port.
  • IGPU enabled.
  • DGPU connected to DP-In.
The following might also make a difference when IGPU is enabled:
  • Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (as per the experiment) may work, but
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless) might not work.
Speculation: Because headless mode turns off the DisplayPort stream from IGPU, it means the motherboard does not see 2 distinct DisplayPort streams when you connect dGPU to DP-In, and perhaps the DisplayPort switching behavior gets confused as a result of the missing stream.

This experiment was designed to test whether the motherboard can switch DisplayPort streams between the iGPU and dGPU when the dGPU is connected to DP-In port. And the results show that yes indeed it can, as we would expect.

The missing Graphics info in About this Mac is strange but might have been a one-off. Or is it always reproducible? Nevertheless, I don't think it bears any functional impact.

The real question though is whether the LG 5K monitor can function properly from startup with:
  • Monitor connected to the TB3 port.
  • IGPU enabled.
  • DGPU connected to DP-In.
The following might also make a difference when IGPU is enabled:
  • Platform ID 0x3E9B0007 (as per the experiment) may work, but
  • Platform ID 0x3E980003 (headless) might not work.
Speculation: Because headless mode turns off the DisplayPort stream from IGPU, it means the motherboard does not see 2 distinct DisplayPort streams when you connect dGPU to DP-In, and perhaps the DisplayPort switching behavior gets confused as a result of the missing stream.
Interestingly, I tested out 0x3E9B0007 and everything works just fine, would there be a disadvantage in not running in headless mode ?

Interestingly, I tested out 0x3E9B0007 and everything works just fine, would there be a disadvantage in not running in headless mode ?
The only downside is that Final Cut Pro and iMovie will crash upon launch.

Back