[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi @CaseySJ ,

I just spent half a day to figure out what the best settings for an up to date Open Core machine might be in terms of iGPU. I think I want to deactivate my iGPU as I think it might be causing trouble in Davinci Resolve. My current config.plist reads:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AwCYPg==</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
</dict>

Is this the right setting? Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi @CaseySJ ,

I just spent half a day to figure out what the best settings for an up to date Open Core machine might be in terms of iGPU. I think I want to deactivate my iGPU as I think it might be causing trouble in Davinci Resolve. My current config.plist reads:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)</key>
<dict>
<key>AAPL,ig-platform-id</key>
<data>AwCYPg==</data>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,2,0</string>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Display controller</string>
<key>framebuffer-patch-enable</key>
<data>AQAAAA==</data>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel UHD Graphics 630</string>
</dict>

Is this the right setting? Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you!!!
remove that and disable your igpu in your bios

Motherboard
Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX580 Pulse
Hello!

I just purchased a mini little LCD monitor and it has HDMI and USB-C inputs. HDMI works, but I'm having trouble getting the USB-C input to work. I've tried different cables, etc.

Is there anything special we need to do to get USB-C signal output from the 2x TB3 ports on the back of the Z390? I didn't set anything up for it and was hoping it would just work. I've been trying to search this thread but it's hard to search. Here's the monitor I purchased:

EDIT:

I managed to find this post by Casey that gave me the solution. I connected a DP cable from my AMD GPU into the DP input on the designaire and now the top TB port is giving me video signal :).

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
I9 9900KF
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello @danielurdea

You can use the OC 0.7.8 EFI folder from the mini-guide referred to in the spoiler “Quick Reference to Mini-Guides and Micro-Guides” at the top of Post 1. That guide has instructions for using that EFI folder.

Because you have an AMD GPU it’s necessary to using “config-AMD-GPU.plist”. Rename the file and copy your serial numbers into “PlatformInfo —> DataHub” section as explained also in the mini-guide.
Thank you @CaseySJ , unfortunatley I used 078 EFI from your mini guide without succes, I changed the setting from config.plist using Hackingtool for all 4 value that needed to be changed, I mounted yor modified Efo folder in a mounted USB stick, Canopy is launching this opencore install but I am stuck at apple logo, no metter what EFI folder I choose... fail on logo, you have two versions in the guide. I have AMD Radeon VII graphic card and I removed agpmod=pikera as was suggested in the guide but no luck so far. So I was forced to skip the opencore change. I thought that my Bios F9J is the cause for my USB3 not working but I am not sure, all kext failed to start my USB3 ports so I tried to flash BIOS and downgraded it to F9i but jumper short reset it to F9J!!! not F4 or some other old Bios that was initailly on my board. I tried USB tool, USbinjectall, 071 or 076 versions, all without succes, I mapped my usb ports in windows but it seems that i did it wrong. If I solve my usb problems I will leave it as it is. USB port have a weird behavour, on and off without an action from me. I do not want to put Windows back:problem:.

Attachments

• usb2jpg.jpg
    usb2jpg.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@danielurdea

If the boot process stalls at the Apple logo, please check if “CFG-Lock” is disabled in BIOS (it needs to be disabled).

You can also press and release CMD-V in OpenCore boot picker to enable Verbose mode. Then select the macOS boot disk and see where the log messages stop.

Motherboard
Z390 DESIGNARE
CPU
I9 9900KF
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
@danielurdea

If the boot process stalls at the Apple logo, please check if “CFG-Lock” is disabled in BIOS (it needs to be disabled).

You can also press and release CMD-V in OpenCore boot picker to enable Verbose mode. Then select the macOS boot disk and see where the log messages stop.
Yes, CFG-Locck was the the culprit, thank you man, you are awesome! Now I have working USB3 ports and wifi and bluetoth as bonus.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
** Quick Note on macOS 13: Ventura **

Apple intends to release a public beta of Ventura next month. As soon as it's available, I'll post a mini-guide explaining (a) OpenCore configuration, (b) installation options, and (c) what works and what does not work. Meanwhile, consider upgrading to latest version of macOS Big Sur or Monterey if you are still on Mojave or Catalina. And latest version of OpenCore (0.8.1).

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!
Ventura is coming, so I think it's probably a good time to update my build to Monterey. LOL
I checked post #1 and couldn't find any micro/mini-guide specific on updating to Monterey (form BigSur).

Does that mean that all I need to do is to
- Update OpenCore (to the latest? Currently on 0.7.4)
- Going through regular software updates on the system?

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z690-Creator
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello!
Ventura is coming, so I think it's probably a good time to update my build to Monterey. LOL
I checked post #1 and couldn't find any micro/mini-guide specific on updating to Monterey (form BigSur).

Does that mean that all I need to do is to
- Update OpenCore (to the latest? Currently on 0.7.4)
- Going through regular software updates on the system?
Hello @phrfpeixoto,

Because you're on Big Sur and OpenCore, you are in a good position. The process is:
  • Make a full bootable backup of Big Sur (including the EFI partition). Trust me, you don't want to skip this step!
  • Then upgrade to OpenCore 0.7.8 or newer.
  • Finally perform an in-place upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey from System Preferences --> Software Update.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
GT 710
Ok i will flash it. Fingers crossed
@synnys , were you able to solve your problem with MOTU drivers not loading for your audio interface in Big Sur?

I am upgrading from Catalina to Monterey and have the same problem.

Many thanks for any help.