Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

First, thanks to everyone on this thread for all the help in recent days. Thanks @CaseySJ for keeping it alive and going.

I followed this guide to start transitioning from Clover to OC 0.6.8. Using a USB Flash for now to test. A couple of comments/observations:

1. In Post I'm getting some errors. They're not preventing me from booting but they show up nonetheless. I suspect the first one has something to do with the Boot Chime.View attachment 519347
These OCS or OpenCore Schema warnings occur when we use an incompatible version of OpenCore Configurator. The latest OpenCore Configurator only supports the current and next versions of OpenCore, which are 0.6.9 and 0.7.0 at this time. For now you can ignore these warnings, which will go away when you update to OpenCore 0.6.9.

1. There are references to a config.plist which isn't present inside the downloaded stock OC 0.6.8 zip. There are two flavors of the config Z390 Designare OC 068 AMD GPU & Z390 Designare OC 068 Intel IGPU but all of the references lead one to believe that one should expect a stock "config.plist" that is to be modified.
The instructions ask you to choose one of the template files (config-Intel-iGPU or config-AMD-GPU) and copy or rename that file to config.plist.

1. In this post under section config.plist Changes we see instructions to do the following:
    • Misc --> Security --> SecureBootModel --> Disabled (change to Default for OpenIntelWireless)
      • If I do as instructed and switch to Default I get this error after selecting to boot from macOS Mojave.View attachment 519348
    • NVRAM --> Delete --> opencore-version (to report correct OpenCore version when macOS is booted)
I think it's best to start with OpenCore 0.6.9 instead of 0.6.8. The link for 0.6.9 is in Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. It's even better to use the HackinDROM App, but that's optional.

1. Last but not least - I manually moved my SMBIOS info from my Clover to OC but I still get "Sign in to iCloud." I took the time to double check everything and it appears that everything matches (Serial, BoardID, UUID, etc.) Where did I go wrong?
Are you using the same System Product Name (e.g. iMac19,1) and ROM as well? When you try to sign in to iCloud, what happens?

I think it's best to start with OpenCore 0.6.9 instead of 0.6.8. The link for 0.6.9 is in Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1. It's even better to use the HackinDROM App, but that's optional.
I had originally decided against 0.6.9 due to this statement in your post for 0.6.9 "Supports both Catalina and Big Sur"

I'm still on Mojave and it's been rock solid for music production. Don't wanna rock the boat.
Are you using the same System Product Name (e.g. iMac19,1) and ROM as well? When you try to sign in to iCloud, what happens?
Same Product Name, however, in Clover my I didn't have a generated unique ROM ID. I was using UseMacAddr0

I didn't attempt to sign into iCloud. Don't want to risk it just yet.

@xanderevo,

Please try the latest EFIClone script from my GitHub repository. Just need to change TEST_SWITCH to N and remove the quarantine flag by typing xattr -d com.apple.quarantine EFIClone.sh. Please see the Bootable Backup guide for details on how to copy the script to CCC's protected scripts folder.

Yep keep getting No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine

Anyone have any experience with the new RX 6800/6900 XT GPU's? I'm wondering if we need to have the "resizable bar" parameters in the newer (broken) BIOS versions from Gigabyte.

I'm wondering if we need to have the "resizable bar" parameters in the newer (broken) BIOS versions from Gigabyte.
Resizable Bar should be disabled and from my own experience using the SMBIOS MacPro7,1 works for me.

Yep keep getting No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine
That's a good thing. It means the file is not quarantined and can be used as-is.

I had originally decided against 0.6.9 due to this statement in your post for 0.6.9 "Supports both Catalina and Big Sur"

I'm still on Mojave and it's been rock solid for music production. Don't wanna rock the boat.

Same Product Name, however, in Clover my I didn't have a generated unique ROM ID. I was using UseMacAddr0

I didn't attempt to sign into iCloud. Don't want to risk it just yet.
FWIW, OC 0.6.9 is solid with Mojave over here with my Z390 build. I'm testing Big Sur with UAD, PT, LPX, Slate Drums, Axe-Edit, VEP7 and CC LrC/Photoshop.

Last edited:
Hey @CaseySJ
Never got a chance to really thank you for this awesome build and the amazing support you are giving to the whole Hackintosh community. I'm very happy to have chosen your build/hardware when I was building a new Hackintosh around 2019. This is my 3rd hardware build so far since I started in 2010 with a GA-X58A-UD3R and Intel i7 950. I recently moved from Clover to OC and have a question and a new nasty problem I encounter and hope someone can help.

My current rig used for Color Grading/video editing based on this Golden Build:
Gigabyte Designare Z390
Intel i9-9900K
AMD VII GPU
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (latest firmware)
Fenvi T919 for WiFI/BT
BlackMagic Decklink 4K Video Output PCI card
@Weerik,
I see Casey responded in another post, but I’d like to add that Casey helped me getting my similar configuration to work for my eGPU WITHOUT flashing the Thunderbolt bus. macOS of course DOES NOT recognize the eGPU for OS purposes. But Resolve DOES, and that’s all I care about.
Casey suggested I remove the two hot plug SSDTs, and it worked. I’ve got my eGPU Radeon VII (as well as my internal Vega 64) set in Resolve prefs, and it’s the fastest i9-9900k on the Standard Candle test database. I also have Radeon boost installed, and it made a big difference.
j

Back