Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

@Weerik,
I see Casey responded in another post, but I’d like to add that Casey helped me getting my similar configuration to work for my eGPU WITHOUT flashing the Thunderbolt bus. macOS of course DOES NOT recognize the eGPU for OS purposes. But Resolve DOES, and that’s all I care about.
Casey suggested I remove the two hot plug SSDTs, and it worked. I’ve got my eGPU Radeon VII (as well as my internal Vega 64) set in Resolve prefs, and it’s the fastest i9-9900k on the Standard Candle test database. I also have Radeon boost installed, and it made a big difference.
j
…and with two Radeon VIIs, I’m sure you’ll dethrone my machine!

Also, I’m over clocked and running iMacPro SMBios.
J

Last edited:
I noticed, that DRM support disappears after sleep. Can it be fixed?

I Solved it by pressing f3 in the boot loader, :banghead:
hiding volumes in clover wasn't a smart idea.

Time to upgrade to Catalina, I guess.

While upgrading from clover to OpenCore usb stick wont boot no matter what I do, tried all of your miniguides. Stuck at apple logo.

Also this

followed this guide, no luck since yesterday.

this

Attachments

• 20210523_214514.jpg
    20210523_214514.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
While upgrading from clover to OpenCore usb stick wont boot no matter what I do, tried all of your miniguides. Stuck at apple logo.

Also this

this
Check if you are using one of recommend BIOS (Post #1 Quick References)
Check if CFG-Lock is Disabled in BIOS
Then your can try to create a bootable USB stick with HackinDROM App
  1. Select your USB Stick in "External Drive" list
  2. Select the configuration you need
  3. Import your serials
  4. Then click to "Format Disk and Create EFI"
  5. Wait til the app finishes the process

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 21.50.08.png

Also this

this
Which version of BIOS is installed? Is CFG-Lock disabled in the Boot section of BIOS Setup?

Which version of BIOS is installed? Is CFG-Lock disabled in the Boot section of BIOS Setup?
Yes, latest BIOS, booting without problems with Clover, pasted serials into generic OpenCore, downloaded the 0.6.9 folder with amd gpu you provided, renamed to config.plist did the sudo commands although it says system folder is read only.

Booting stuck at apple logo progress bar to 1%

This is hackingDROM

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 22.13.25.jpg

Attachments

• 20210523_220505.jpg
    20210523_220505.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Yes, latest BIOS, booting without problems with Clover, pasted serials into generic OpenCore, downloaded the 0.6.9 folder with amd gpu you provided, renamed to config.plist did the sudo commands although it says system folder is read only.

Booting stuck at apple logo progress bar to 1%

Are you using BIOS F9g or F9i?
Is CFG-Lock disabled in Boot section of BIOS Setup?

At the OpenCore Picker, press and release CMD-V before selecting the boot option. This will enable Verbose logs. When the boot process stops, please take photo and then:
  • Remove EXIF location information from photo
  • Resize it down so it's no more than about 1 or 1.5 MB (too many folks have posted 12 MB photos unnecessarily)
Couple of additional thoughts (but these should not be done at this time):
  • May need to boot into Recovery and check whether all Hackintosh kexts have been removed and the /L/E folder has been 'touch'ed to force rebuild of the kernel cache.
  • May need to perform CMOS Reset and configure BIOS parameters starting with F7 (Load Optimized Defaults).

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try that. Do you have any idea why hackinDROM doesn't create the EFI. I get just empty folders, and the program quits.

Hello @wieerik,

Let's address this issue systematically:
  • The freezes started 2 weeks ago. What changed at that time? New versions of Da Vinci Resolve? New update of Catalina?
  • The crash log points the finger at:
    • colorsync.useragent
      • Provides services for ColorSync framework.
    • ImageIOXPCService
      • This is a somewhat rare problem with Safari. See for example this link.
  • Do you have a full backup of the system from 2 weeks ago or earlier?
  • If you don't have a full backup from beforethe crashes started, do you have a spare 128GB or 256GB SATA SSD that you can mount either in an external USB 3.0 enclosure or an available internal SATA port?
    • It would be a good idea to install fresh copy of Catalina on the spare SSD using the same serial numbers you're using now.
    • The without installing Resolve or any other "heavy" third-party app, test Safari.
    • Then install one heavy third-party app at a time and check system stability.
    • Continue until all apps are installed.
    • If system remains stable, it will be necessary to make this the primary system by copying all documents and files to this disk (Finder can do that) until it is a complete system.
    • Then make a backup of the internal SSD and clone this external SSD to the internal SSD.

eGPUs unfortunately require Thunderbolt Bus, which in turn requires flashing the on-board controller. This is a risky procedure and requires careful attention to detail. I would definitely recommend installing the second GPU into an internal PCIe slot rather than eGPU.

Hey @CaseySJ
Thanks for you detailed reply. I'll take a look in what could be the cause using your steps. Everything works fine again after I've cleared my Safari cache folder but the questions is for how long. Sounds you think it's doesn't have to be a Hackintosh related problem, right? Could have happened on a "real" Mac as well?

I'm still interested in the eGPU story, as I'm using the eGPU mostly on my Macbook. Changing it every week from my Hackintosh back in the eGPU enclosure and vice versa is not very practical. I could not find a mention regarding eGPU's in your original post. Is flashing the on board controller the same for everyone with a Designare Z390? If there is a guide somewhere please let me know.

Thanks again.

Back