Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Ah, yeah that runs the same Chip essentially. Here is my ioreg file. I am pretty certain its PEG0 and PEG1, and Im hopeful that if OWC has it that perhaps folks would be able to get it to play nice.

I use this same card in several FreeBSD servers in IT made and it just directly passes the SATA drives to the system. It just passes them directly through in windows, so I am hopeful that I can just allow Mac OS to "see" the device and then can see the SATA Bluray Drives.

Thanks @CaseySJ
We can see here that Vendor ID 0x1000 is LSI/Broadcom and Device ID 0x0087 is SAS2308. The SAS/SATA card is indeed connected to PEG1-->PEGP, but as we can see in IOReg, there are no drivers attached. This means the card is not Mac-compatible.
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 6.57.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.00.01 AM.png

I could use some help or advice from you Thunderbolt guru's.

Can hot plug Thunderbolt be enabled on the GA-Z170X-UD5 TH board? I'm on latest OC and have some very weird TB/USB 3 Type C issues happening. Depending on what's plugged in, I get no Thunderbolt unless I have a USB Type C flash drive plugged into the 2nd port. If I plug two OWC bus powered TB adapters in at the same time, neither works. But, If I only have one plugged in, it works IF I have a Type C thumb drive in the other port.... very strange.

I would love to hot plug TB on this machine and be able to use two ports or USB Type-c at the same time. I am attaching my zipped EFI without S/N as well as an IOReg dump, hopefully in the correct format. If it's not possible to Hot plug or use both the OWC Bus Powered M2 enclosures just let me know... The IOReg is with one of the OWC externals and one Samsung 128G USB Type-C attached. I was not sure if the IOReg has serial number in it, and I'm at work on Windows so can't open it to check.
In the Alpine Ridge Repository we have a procedure, a SSDT, and a revised BIOS that helps us enable Thunderbolt Bus on the GA-Z170-UD5 TH. Not sure if your board is the same. If it is, the procedure is worth trying. However, some or all of the problems you noted may or may not disappear. With Hackintosh we just have to try and see what works. It's all about the DIY spirit and experimentation.

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.24.12 AM.png

Last edited:
in the Alpine Ridge Repository we have a procedure, a SSDT, and a revised BIOS that helps us enable Thunderbolt Bus on the GA-Z170-UD5 TH. Not sure if your board is the same. If it is, the procedure is worth trying. However, some or all of the problems you noted may or may not disappear. With Hackintosh we just have to try and see what works. It's all about the DIY spirit and experimentation.

View attachment 519270
Thanks, i confess to not searching for it in this thread... I will tackle it when i get home tonight and post success !! Each time i think i have some of this figured out something happens that doesn't make sense to me....

Love CCC. But I'm still on Mojave so no vs 6 for me.
I rarely say this, but I prefer the previous GUI design (v5.x). The new 6.0 GUI is rather crude...

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.31.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.36.36 AM.png

This is what a standard macOS Tab Bar looks like:
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.42.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 7.59.58 AM.png

Here is the previous version, which is considerably more pleasing to my eyes and sense of design...

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 3.20.15 PM.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have an unmodded F9i BIOS to share? Gigabyte has pulled it from their site and the only options are F9j and F8.

I saw that someone posted a modded version with updated microcode, but I would prefer an unmodified version. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Of course, I was able to download it not 10 seconds after I posted this. I'm an idiot.

Does anyone have an unmodded F9i BIOS to share? Gigabyte has pulled it from their site and the only options are F9j and F8.

I saw that someone posted a modded version with updated microcode, but I would prefer an unmodified version. Thanks in advance!
Hello and Welcome to the forum,
Please check Post #1 Quick References spoiler, you'll find all you need for your Hackintosh

Please see Post 1: Quick Reference Spoiler (section 1).

Please see Post 1: Quick Reference Spoiler (section 1).
Yep, sorry, I get usually get annoyed at people who ask for readily available information that's right in front of their noses. But that was me today. Will read more carefully next time!

Yep, sorry, I get usually get annoyed at people who ask for readily available information that's right in front of their noses. But that was me today. Will read more carefully next time!
With a reply like that, you are entirely forgiven. :)

With a reply like that, you are entirely forgiven. :)
Haha thanks! But perhaps hold off on the forgiveness for now. I haven't started the (re-)build with the new board yet, so there's plenty of time left for stupid questions. ;)

Back