Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Are you on BIOS 9g or higher, with cfg lock disabled in the Boot section of bios? (In 9g it's disabled by default; in 9i you need to disable it.)
Sorry, I didn't mention it. I updated my BIOS today to 9i. I guess once I get home I will disable CFG Lock and try again. Thanks.

I'm trying to extract tb3 firmware from ASUS Proart z490 creator using arceli ch341a. But terminal says ' No EEPROM/Flash device found'.

Users-MacBook-Air:~ user$ sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -r 1.bin
Password:
flashrom v1.2 on Darwin 18.7.0 (x86_64)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
libusb: info [darwin_claim_interface] no interface found; setting configuration: 1
No EEPROM/flash device found.
Note: flashrom can never write if the flash chip isn't found automatically.

- This motherboard has MX 25L80006E on rear side.
- I could flash other cards (Thunderboltex 3, GC-Alpine Ridge) with same ch341a & cable, so I think it's not problem of devices.

Any suggestion would be grateful.

IMG_3812.JPG

Last edited:
I'm sorry if the question has already been asked! In this thread we have the guide to follow to get a modified DROM.
The modified DROM makes sense in the case of using patched Firmware! Would it be possible to have a link to the thread that describes the method to follow for a Firmwarepatching?

Thanks.

I'm sorry if the question has already been asked! In this thread we have the guide to follow to get a modified DROM.
The modified DROM makes sense in the case of using patched Firmware! Would it be possible to have a link to the thread that describes the method to follow for a Firmwarepatching?

Thanks.

Already included.

@jiffyslot @CaseySJ

The guys from Gullfoss looked at the system and told me to uninstall displaylink drivers.
That did the trick for every problem!
Now, why is displaylink doing this with graphic acceleration? It should be supported in Mojave
I don't know. Were they drivers added that were not included in the OpenCore distribution?
My monitor is connected directly to the RX580 via HDMI; I've never installed nor added any additional drivers to the OpenCore EFI nor the Mojave OS. I don't have a DP monitor to test the DP port on the RX580.

I don't know. Were they drivers added that were not included in the OpenCore distribution?
My monitor is connected directly to the RX580 via HDMI; I've never installed nor added any additional drivers to the OpenCore EFI nor the Mojave OS. I don't have a DP monitor to test the DP port on the RX580.
I'm using clover, but displaylink is a driver for running usb monitors which I had previously installed

@WeiSer Thank u dude for your quick replay.

there are some things that i do not understand understand ! from my understanding, in the given links we can found our happiness to edit and modify a DROM ... this modification allows to create cunstom SSDTs.

the ThunderboltUtil tool should only be used if the firmware has been patched. it is this reason why I am looking for the steps to follow to patch a firmware.

after some research on the internet and according to @Osy86 I found the following:
  • First we have to backup our orig firmware using CH341A Programmer for example, [lets call it : backup.bin]
  • make a copy of backup.bin to work on it [backup-copy.bin]
  • Using a binary file reader & [backup-copy.bin]We :
    • Shall detect where the active partition is [The first 4 bytes gives us this info (switch the bytes Little to big indian)],​
    • From now lets say that the active partition is in offset 0x0,
      • Starting from the active partition, the offset 0xA-0xB shall give us the firware version,​
      • The DROM shall be found between Offsets 0x200 & 0x600,​
    • Starting from the active partition we need to compare the 4096 bytes [the comparison shall be done between our backup-copy.bin and a binary coming from "USBCUpdater" with closest version to ours]​
    • Relace the diff in backup-copy.bin with the bytes value in the Apples binary.​
We can skip this :
  • Offset 0xA-0xB has the version number
  • Offset 0x200-0x600 is the DROM
  • Any time you see the version number (e.g. 33 vs 34 if your controller is v33 and Apple's is v34)
  • Any time you see 86 80 XX XX from Apple's firmware (controller PID) and your board's firmware is NOT FF FF FF FF.

am i on the right track ?

And so the worst thing happened. I didn't backup, updated Clover, WEG and Lilu, and now I can't boot. Yes, I'm an idiot, I know. If anyone know where to begin to fix this I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

I reach Clover boot screen, but once I try to boot Catalina (10.15.6), I get this after 1 sec.
crash.jpg

@WeiSer Thank u dude for your quick replay.

there are some things that i do not understand understand ! from my understanding, in the given links we can found our happiness to edit and modify a DROM ... this modification allows to create cunstom SSDTs.

the ThunderboltUtil tool should only be used if the firmware has been patched. it is this reason why I am looking for the steps to follow to patch a firmware.

after some research on the internet and according to @Osy86 I found the following:
  • First we have to backup our orig firmware using CH341A Programmer for example, [lets call it : backup.bin]
  • make a copy of backup.bin to work on it [backup-copy.bin]
  • Using a binary file reader & [backup-copy.bin]We :
    • Shall detect where the active partition is [The first 4 bytes gives us this info (switch the bytes Little to big indian)],​
    • From now lets say that the active partition is in offset 0x0,​
      • Starting from the active partition, the offset 0xA-0xB shall give us the firware version,​
      • The DROM shall be found between Offsets 0x200 & 0x600,​

• Starting from the active partition we need to compare the 4096 bytes [the comparison shall be done between our backup-copy.bin and a binary coming from "USBCUpdater" with closest version to ours]​
    • Relace the diff in backup-copy.bin with the bytes value in the Apples binary.​
We can skip this :
  • Offset 0xA-0xB has the version number
  • Offset 0x200-0x600 is the DROM
  • Any time you see the version number (e.g. 33 vs 34 if your controller is v33 and Apple's is v34)
  • Any time you see 86 80 XX XX from Apple's firmware (controller PID) and your board's firmware is NOT FF FF FF FF.

am i on the right track ?
If you look at Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1, you will a Repository of Patched Firmware Files. If the firmware for your device is included in that post, simply download it and follow the instructions in this guide for using a 3.3V USB CH341a programmer.

If the firmware for your device is not included in that post, then extract the firmware using the 3.3V USB CH341a programmer and post that file here. I can modify it for you, but there are no guarantees it will work. Always keep two backup copies of the original firmware extracted by the CH341a programmer because it might be necessary to flashback the original version at some point.

Last edited:
Back