Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

And so the worst thing happened. I didn't backup, updated Clover, WEG and Lilu, and now I can't boot. Yes, I'm an idiot, I know. If anyone know where to begin to fix this I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

I reach Clover boot screen, but once I try to boot Catalina (10.15.6), I get this after 1 sec.
View attachment 499524
Please note:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 8.17.00 AM.png

• Do you still have the USB install disk that was used to install macOS?
  • Are you using an M.2 NVMe SSD or a SATA 2.5" SSD?
  • Do you have Windows installed on this Hackintosh?
  • There is a Mac listed in your profile. What model is it?

If you look at Section 8 of the Quick Reference spoiler at the top of Post 1, you will a Repository of Patched Firmware Files. If the firmware for your device is included in that post, simply download it and follow the instructions in this guide for using a 3.3V USB CH341a programmer.

If the firmware for you device is not included in that post, then extract the firmware using the 3.3V USB CH341a programmer and post that file here. I can modify it for you, but there are no guarantees it will work. Always keep two backup copies of the original firmware extracted by the CH341a programmer because it might be necessary to flashback the original version at some point.

@CaseySJ Thanks a lot ! I will appreciate your help :)

unfortunately it is not part of the list ... so i will extract the firmware, i will also try to make the modification on my own and send you both the original & modified firmware ! [my modifications will be based on my previous post] ! I would like to learn do it myself ! as I like to say: "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, he will feed himself all his life"

@CaseySJ Thanks a lot ! I will appreciate your help :)

unfortunately it is not part of the list ... so i will extract the firmware, i will also try to make the modification on my own and send you both the original & modified firmware ! [my modifications will be based on my previous post] ! I would like to learn do it myself ! as I like to say: "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, he will feed himself all his life"
I like your spirit of self-reliance, but I will warn you that those instructions will not work! :)

Please note:

View attachment 499531

• Do you still have the USB install disk that was used to install macOS?
  • Are you using an M.2 NVMe SSD or a SATA 2.5" SSD?
  • Do you have Windows installed on this Hackintosh?
  • There is a Mac listed in your profile. What model is it?

Yep, saw the warning too late :/

• I do not have the USB, but I can create a new one.
• An M.2 NVMe SSD
• Yes, but I always unplug all my other drives when updating. Does it matter then?
• I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2015.

I'm already on my way to do a fresh install now. But backing up my NVME now as we speak. Is there still a chance I can bring it back from the dead, you think?

• An M.2 NVMe SSD
• Yes, but I always unplug all my other drives when updating. Does it matter then?

I'm already on my way to do a fresh install now. But backing up my NVME now as we speak. Is there still a chance I can bring it back from the dead, you think?
Yes there’s a good chance to bring it back. Just create a new USB boot disk (no need to copy macOS installer on it) with new serial numbers if you don’t have the old ones. Then boot Catalina from it (press F12 at BIOS splash screen and select USB flash disk). If it works, let us know.

• An M.2 NVMe SSD

@CaseySJ, I managed to use an EFI backup and now everything is back to normal. I've lived to fight another day and need the computer for work this week so not gonna try any more shenanigans for the time being.

Thanks as always for your quick reply and willingness to help though, massively appreciated!

Last edited:
I will do it just in case.. I have no apps that care - thanks
Have you checked your serial number?

A few months ago my App Store stopped working and on checking the serial number on Apple's website I found it was a valid one, ie a real Mac has the same one. It hasn't when I first used it but after about a year it suddenly became one.

All I had to do was generate new SN, UUID, etc., reboot, and it all started working again.
I have not had a chance to do that as suggested, BUT the apps auto updated themselves (App Store/Auto Updates). SOOOO the problem is definitely with the App Store.. It is back to same "error" but those apps I could d/l direct from web to update them.. Thanks to everyone for help..

Back