Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Not sure if I understood correctly
Here's what I'm attempting:
  1. remove any SSDTs related to TB and WIFI
  2. activate _DSM to XDSM in AICP patches
  3. add correct SSDTs for Wifi & TB (which ones, exactly? I'm losing track of the thread). I've tried the one from the updated repository, and got KPs during restart, and eventually couldn't boot anymore.
Initially the goal was to disable on-board WiFi, but later it was expanded to activate Thunderbolt Bus as well. Maybe we should just focus on one thing at a time. Let's get WiFi sorted out.

Because the WiFi disabling SSDT relies on its own _DSM() method for RP01, and because only one _DSM() method can be defined for each device, the WiFi disabling SSDT will not work as-is because the motherboards DSDT already has a _DSM() method for RP01.

So we need to rename RP01's _DSM() method to something else such as XDSM().

It is possible that your config.plist already contains a general ACPI rename that changes all _DSM() methods to XDSM(). I would like to confirm that. If unsure, simply post your config.plist with serial numbers removed from SMBIOS.

I'm not running a USB audio interface, it's Tthunderbolt, and also the only thing on the Thunderbolt bus. There's nothing much on my USB bus. Keyboard, Mouse, Ableton Push 2, and the Bluetooth/Wifi (internal header). Each device is plugged into it's own USB slot, and no hubs are used. It was a different guy having issues transferring files over USB. My issue is the entire USB subsystem randomly going completely dead until I reboot the computer - but only under OSX.

Yeah, that's familiar and very frustrating. It seems to be a "USB sleep" problem that I've had across Mojave and Catalina with the  2012 Mac Mini 6,2 and the  2018 18,1 -all while using powered Xcellon hubs with auto-sleep disabled. Mostly, my problems on these machines are eLicenser and iLok dongles "self-ejecting" and their lights going dark. The Z390 only seems to have an issue with randomly ejecting SDHC cards from a Lexar reader connected directly on any USB port. IDK how to measure it or fix it, but it does act like a bus-polling thing, as in "Hey device, you haven't been used in 10 seconds, it's ∞ naptime..."

Thank you! It's very much appreciated. I'll give this a shot. And I stopped using OC Config because it was deleting properties (actually Xcode would also do some strange things, like change properties also so they wouldn't be read properly), but I'll give OC Config 2.3 a try. I do think OC Config is easier to interpret than ProperTree.....

Yeah I finally tracked it down to mixed versions causing the property deletion. I think thats the root of a lot of peoples issues with it.

Xcode did all kinds of weird stuff for me too! I use PlistEdit Pro.

@CaseySJ I know that a LOT of folks put a LOT of work into all the changes and configs here so please don't take this the wrong way, but I just updated my system to OC 0.5.8 using the Vanilla Coffee Lake guide and your SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml and EVERYTHING works perfectly. That includes hot-plug of TB3 external drives. Yes, I did unlock the MSR 0xE2 register and added "slide=1" to the bootargs, but beyond that the rest of the config is right out of the OpenCore Desktop Guide. Maybe I'm a lucky one, or maybe the hardware moons are aligned for my rig. My hardware is:
  1. Gigabyte Z390 Designare v1 with BIOS F8
  2. Intel i9 9900K
  3. HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3600MHz DDR4
  4. Samsung EVO 970 2TB NVMe for macOS, and 1 Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB NVMe for Windows 10
  5. OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 storage array connected via Apple Tbolt 3 to Tbolt 2 Adapter
  6. Fenvi T919 Bluetooth & WiFi card
  7. AMD Radeon VII Limited Edition
  8. Corsair Hydro H115i water cooler
  9. Corsair HX850i Power Supply

Happy to share any of my config if it would be helpful. Thanks for all your hard work.

@CaseySJ I know that a LOT of folks put a LOT of work into all the changes and configs here so please don't take this the wrong way, but I just updated my system to OC 0.5.8 using the Vanilla Coffee Lake guide and your SSDT-Z390-DESIGNARE-TB3HP-V4.aml and EVERYTHING works perfectly. That includes hot-plug of TB3 external drives. Yes, I did unlock the MSR 0xE2 register and added "slide=1" to the bootargs, but beyond that the rest of the config is right out of the OpenCore Desktop Guide. Maybe I'm a lucky one, or maybe the hardware moons are aligned for my rig. My hardware is:
  1. Gigabyte Z390 Designare v1 with BIOS F8
  2. Intel i9 9900K
  3. HyperX Predator Black 64GB kit 3600MHz DDR4
  4. Samsung EVO 970 2TB NVMe for macOS, and 1 Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB NVMe for Windows 10
  5. OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 storage array connected via Apple Tbolt 3 to Tbolt 2 Adapter
  6. Fenvi T919 Bluetooth & WiFi card
  7. AMD Radeon VII Limited Edition
  8. Corsair Hydro H115i water cooler
  9. Corsair HX850i Power Supply

Happy to share any of my config if it would be helpful. Thanks for all your hard work.
The Designare OpenCore Mini-Guide is also based on the same Vanilla guide. That is the de facto owner's manual for OpenCore. Keep in mind that there are two parts to every Hackintosh build:
  • Installation
  • Post-Installation
The vanilla guide will help you install macOS, but it's not designed to fine-tune that installation to a specific motherboard.

@canyondust: I did 3 patches only, this is enough to activate the Thunderbolt Bus, but osy did much more:

(from begin of start of activated partition, our offset is 0x82000)
[osy & me] 0x35: 2727 => 3737
[osy] 0x43: AD => 6D
[osy] 0x7C: BB (we have AB) => FB
[osy & me] 0x81: A0 => 20
[osy] 0xEB: 02 => 03
[osy] 0x102: 01 => 00
[osy] 0x13A: 00 => 01
[osy] 0xB32: 05 (we have 00) => 03
[osy & me] 0xBA0 (we have 0xBA8): FF FF FF FF => 86 80 D3 15 (we have 86 80 77 15, this is our vendor & device id)

I don't have a hotplug with cold boot. With dgsga/Casy SSDT (+ 2x acpi patches) I have Thunderbolt Bus activated on NOT patched firmware, but no device to DSBx-ports was connected. We have to keep testing...

UPD: Did you flashed my BIOS?

Last edited:
In my effort to assemble components for the upcoming Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, I'm realizing what others have already realized -- that 650W to 850W fully-modular power supplies are extremely scarce. This harkens back to the crypto mining heyday where GPUs were sold out everywhere and prices were being gouged.

Fortunately I found a Corsair RM850x at a local retailer for a "fairly" normal price.

If anyone is in the market for a new Designare Vision D based system (or any other) you might want to keep an eye out for power supplies. Perhaps a good idea to buy the PSU first and hold on to it...

Last edited:
@losinka @CaseySJ

Progress!!! I am happy to report that using the TB+CFG unlocked Z170x-Designare bios that @losinka provided, and using the GA-170X-UD5TH Rename + SSDT method in the repository has activated the Thunderbolt tree on RP05!!!
Like others here though, it only seems to work when nothing is plugged in at boot. Otherwise RP05 will not populate.
And in what seems to be tradition, Antelope drivers still not behaving :lol:

IMG_6446.jpg

@losinka:
Here is what appears on my Bios pages now.
IMG_6441.jpg

Right now I have GPIO3 Force Pwr Enabled, and ACPI Removal Objest Support enabled.
IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

When flashing my BIOS I had to use an external tool+flashrom. The chip on the Z170X-Designare is MX25L12805D. It took between 10-15 minutes total to read and flash the chip.

My flashrom write code:
Code:
sudo flashrom -p ch341a_spi -c "MX25L12805D" -w Z170XDe-tb-CFG_Lock-mod1.23g

Amazing work everyone and huge thanks to everyone here! This is getting better every day.

Back