Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Does it work on a real Mac? Keyboards are supposed to be one of the most universally compatible devices, but from what I recall of this Massdrop keyboard, it contains some fancy programmability. Is it listed as being Mac compatible?

Yeah, I've used for months on even the hackintosh. The problem only comes up when trying to use it through the thunderbolt 3 hub, and its not just this keyboard, it is any keyboard.

But to answer your question, yes it is mac compatible. They even have the programming app for it on mac.

They're all there. The only file that was missing (that I just added) was 'SSDT-USBW.aml'. I overwrote all of my others with ones from the latest available on your May 2020 guide.

IORegExporer still looks the same when I compare it to the screenshot. :/

I should mention - I have not flashed the thunderbolt on this board - maybe I need to?
Ah, that dreaded "search" field in IORegistryExplorer. Now you see why I keep harping about not using it, or at least clicking the "x" to the far right of the search bar. No need to flash the firmware.

Anyway, to determine whether and why the Focusrite is using USB, please post the IORegistryExplorer screenshot again, but with the search field emptied.

Typo in my previous post, so let me ask again (correctly): Is your config.plist renaming _DSM to XDSM? I believe KGP's build guide does this.

The IOReg file indicates that the old Thunderbolt SSDT is probably still present. Any pre-existing Thunderbolt SSDT must be removed from the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. SSDT-DTPG.aml is still needed.

Also, we should boot the system with no Thunderbolt device connected, then hot plug a device.

Not sure if I understood correctly
Here's what I'm attempting:
  1. remove any SSDTs related to TB and WIFI
  2. activate _DSM to XDSM in AICP patches
  3. add correct SSDTs for Wifi & TB (which ones, exactly? I'm losing track of the thread). I've tried the one from the updated repository, and got KPs during restart, and eventually couldn't boot anymore.

Last edited:
@losinka
I wonder if the cfg_lock has anything to do with why the F23g bios (i was mistaken when I said latest in my original post, I uploaded the stable bios I use and not the latest on accident, they were right next to each other in the folder) That bios has been hit and miss for me with being stable on Catalina. I have attached that bios to this post and edited my previous post. Will install the modified f23b bios in a few hours!!
1x with Thunderbolt mod only
1x with Thunderbolt & CFG_Lock_disabled mod

Attachments

• Z170XDe-tb-mod1.23g.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 92
  • Z170XDe-tb-CFG_Lock-mod1.23g.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 65
hi CaseySJ,
I have followed the Micro-Guide: Radeon Speed Boost *,
the truth is that I got good and even surprising results
but my equipment is not stable, it hangs many times.
I have tried hackintool to see if it solved the problem, but it installs me AppleAHCIPortHotplug.kext and I can´t restare the computer (it stays on the apple and returns to the BIOS).
I have tried many things but I cannot solve it.
I send you my EFI and extra information.
I hope you can help me.
I wait your comments

Thanks in advance
Please make the change shown and try again.
Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 11.27.11 AM.png

Edit: Yes. Being shared with an internal USB Hub for my corsair water cooler control.
It might be a good idea to temporarily disconnect the Corsair from the USB port (it should still continue to function). Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest. Process of Elimination generally helps.

We're on the same page now. Definitely on OC. Here's my config with the patches for the Asus Prime z370a-II.

Fair warning, they're a bit different than what's listed previously as I actually had these patches for some time from previous experiments. I'm doing a few experiments. You'll get the gist of it however.

This is an OC 0.5.8 config, so if you decide to open it with OC Configurator please make sure it's uptodate first. I noticed that if not then it will sometimes delete properties that are new.

Thank you! It's very much appreciated. I'll give this a shot. And I stopped using OC Config because it was deleting properties (actually Xcode would also do some strange things, like change properties also so they wouldn't be read properly), but I'll give OC Config 2.3 a try. I do think OC Config is easier to interpret than ProperTree.....

Yeah, I've used for months on even the hackintosh. The problem only comes up when trying to use it through the thunderbolt 3 hub, and its not just this keyboard, it is any keyboard.

But to answer your question, yes it is mac compatible. They even have the programming app for it on mac.
Do you mean it fails only when connecting through the Thunderbolt Dock? But if you direct-connect the keyboard to one of the Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel then it works? (Maybe a typo in your post.)

Back