Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

ps: any experience with ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card on this MB and Mojave?
While I don't have direct experience with this card, it should work best in either of the top two PCIe x16 long slots. Due to the extremely limited number of PCIe lanes (the fault of Intel), if you install a PCIe card in both the 1st and 2nd long slot, then both slots are reduced to x8. If only the top slot is populated then it runs at full x16. Even with all four NVMe slots populated on the Asus Hyper M.2, it should run well enough even in a x8 configuration.

While I don't have direct experience with this card, it should work best in either of the top two PCIe x16 long slots. Due to the extremely limited number of PCIe lanes (the fault of Intel), if you install a PCIe card in both the 1st and 2nd long slot, then both slots are reduced to x8. If only the top slot is populated then it runs at full x16. Even with all four NVMe slots populated on the Asus Hyper M.2, it should run well enough even in a x8 configuration.
Ok.
The RX 580 needs to be in a PCIe 16x slot? Or does it work with maximum capabilities at 8x?

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I currently have my Vega64 LQ in my build and have the iGPU enabled as headless. I'm using shiki 80. This gives me Netflix in Safari. From memory, I had to enable the iGPU as headless.

My eGPU (with one of my RX580's) does not have to be connected for Netflix to work in Safari. As @CaseySJ pointed out to me, if I want to watch Netflix on sidecar, just run the Netflix app on sidecar.

I'm currently working on my X570 hack but will re-confirm for you later that all is still working with '80' on the Designare hack.

Hope this clarifies for you.
Yep, most likely my issue is I am running with my iGPU disabled. It's a bit of a train of logic but I don't want to enable the iGPU. If I enable the IGPU I have to switch to using OCQuirks for the APTIO memory fix and that causes the primary boot sequence (from clover selection until just before login) to be black on my monitor. Meaning I don't get the Apple Logo and Progress bar. Silly little thing to miss, but there it is... Thank you so much for responding, I'll keep playing with OCQuirks and probably at some point I'll switch over and reenable my iGPU.

The RX 580 needs to be in a PCIe 16x slot? Or does it work with maximum capabilities at 8x?

No, a PCIe 16x slot is not necessary. My RX580 is in Slot-2, but I'm using a different SSDT so that it is properly documented in System Reports. It is detailed in posting #1.

ripe_md

On a fresh installation, sleep/wake should work quite reliably. So please try the following:
  • Remove the GMYLE Bluetooth adapter and check sleep/wake behavior.
  • If the problem persists, try the following specific bullets from the Sleep Aid (click here):
    • Clover Based Solutions --> Bullet #1 (300-series RTC patch)
    • General Solutions --> Buller #5 (tcpkeepalive)

Hi Casey. Unfortuatnely Sleep problems still persist. I've tried everything in the above post (including removing the bluetooth adapter, applying the RTC patch in Clover configurator and and also unchecking all of those options in Energy Saver), however, I still get random Wakes. The PC went to sleep itself at 22:45. I wanted to leave it alone for 12 hours, so I'm only now checking it at around 13:00 the next day, so all of the lines highlighted are the random wake ups it's had.

I've got a feeling it may be my mouse, however please let me know if my thinking is correct here.

• When I wake up the Hack with the Magic Keyboard 2 (it's connected via USB), Terminal shows Keyboard 0x02 as the wake reason, however I've now just set my Hack to sleep and woke it up with my Logitech G302 gaming mouse, and the reason for Wake is (Host 0x01), which is also the reason for a few of the wakes early in the morning when I've been asleep as per the highlighted Terminal lines.
  • Does that mean the mouse is 0x01 and therefore the culprit? It’s a Logitech G302 gaming mouse that worked fine with my previous build and Mojave and didn’t have any sleep issues, but don’t mind swapping out if you think it’s the issue.
  • Also worth noting that the keyboard and mouse are connected to the USB 2.0 ports at the back as I was using these for windows. I also installed Catalina and used the usb 2 ports, has this messed up something? I don’t mind reinstalling

• Ive now moved the keyboard and mouse to the USB 3.0 ports at the rear and will leave the Hack sleeping again in the day, however please let me know if you have any other ideas, as I'm still getting wake reasons with RTC alarm, even though I've applied the RTC clover patch as per the guide above, as well as wake reasons with the syntax 'AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI' (Ive now also unchecked check time automatically in settings as people online have said that can cause RTC issues)

Thanks!

EDIT 1: As it's an XDCI problem, does this indicate it's stemming from a USB/USB-port issue? I've checked system report, and the Mac is also labelling the USB ports I have on my Case as hubs. As I'm not using the Fenvi Bluetooth/Wi-Fi internal card yet yet, I have 1x USB 2.0 port from my case connected to the internal USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, and I also have the case's 2x USB 3.0 ports connected to the internal USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. Is this ok? I'm guessing these are the HS07 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub and the 4 port USB 3.0 hub in the IORegistryExplorer Screenshot below. Not sure why it's labelling them as four ports, as there is only 1x USB 2.0 port and 2x USB 3.0 ports on the case.

EDIT 2: I'm trying to do one thing at a time to deduce whether or not that is the culprit, however, do you also think it could be due to ProximityWake being turned on? When I type in pmset -g in terminal, I have a 1 for Proximitywake, so could my other Apple devices nearby be waking up the Mac? Do you have Proximity Wake on? I got the idea from this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/random-wake-up-after-mojave-heres-the-fix.262507/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.08.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.08.32.png
    462.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.59.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 13.59.28.png
    118 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Your CLOVER folder looks nothing like the version prescribed by the guide in Post 1. Did you transfer the SSD from another computer into this one? Anyway, attached is a new EFI folder based on the Catalina Mini-Guide that should work with Mojave as well.

Please backup your existing EFI folder then do the following in the order shown:

View attachment 461787
View attachment 461788
I replaced the folder, but had no luck... Still the same problem!

Each time I create a config.plist I add more info to the name so I can reference it later. I swapped names on two of them. Thanks for helping out CaseySJ. Randomly, its happened 3 times now, the keyboard and mouse just stop working. I do not get a disconnect on the screen. Happens when physically plugged in and when on bluetooth. I power cycle and things work normally again. Any ideas?
  • So Catalina is installed and running?
  • But the entire system freezes randomly?
  • When you say that keyboard and mouse stop working until power is cycled, does that not imply a system freeze??
  • Or does the clock on the menu bar continue to move? When you say you "do not get a disconnect on the screen" what does that mean? Does it mean the clock continues to work and any motion in windows (such as animations on a web page) continue to run?
  • Have you gone through an exhaustive Process of Elimination starting with the removal of ALL USB devices except USB keyboard, USB mouse?
Also at this time feel free to compress and post the CLOVER folder from your internal Catalina SSD. But remove serial numbers from SMBIOS section of config.plist before posting.

Hi Casey. Unfortuatnely Sleep problems still persist. I've tried everything in the above post (including removing the bluetooth adapter, applying the RTC patch in Clover configurator and and also unchecking all of those options in Energy Saver), however, I still get random Wakes. The PC went to sleep itself at 22:45. I wanted to leave it alone for 12 hours, so I'm only now checking it at around 13:00 the next day, so all of the lines highlighted are the random wake ups it's had.

I've got a feeling it may be my mouse, however please let me know if my thinking is correct here.

• When I wake up the Hack with the Magic Keyboard 2 (it's connected via USB), Terminal shows Keyboard 0x02 as the wake reason, however I've now just set my Hack to sleep and woke it up with my Logitech G302 gaming mouse, and the reason for Wake is (Host 0x01), which is also the reason for a few of the wakes early in the morning when I've been asleep as per the highlighted Terminal lines.
  • Does that mean the mouse is 0x01 and therefore the culprit? It’s a Logitech G302 gaming mouse that worked fine with my previous build and Mojave and didn’t have any sleep issues, but don’t mind swapping out if you think it’s the issue.
  • Also worth noting that the keyboard and mouse are connected to the USB 2.0 ports at the back as I was using these for windows. I also installed Catalina and used the usb 2 ports, has this messed up something? I don’t mind reinstalling

• Ive now moved the keyboard and mouse to the USB 3.0 ports at the rear and will leave the Hack sleeping again in the day, however please let me know if you have any other ideas, as I'm still getting wake reasons with RTC alarm, even though I've applied the RTC clover patch as per the guide above, as well as wake reasons with the syntax 'AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI' (Ive now also unchecked check time automatically in settings as people online have said that can cause RTC issues)

Thanks!

EDIT 1: As it's an XDCI problem, does this indicate it's stemming from a USB/USB-port issue? I've checked system report, and the Mac is also labelling the USB ports I have on my Case as hubs. As I'm not using the Fenvi Bluetooth/Wi-Fi internal card yet yet, I have 1x USB 2.0 port from my case connected to the internal USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, and I also have the case's 2x USB 3.0 ports connected to the internal USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. Is this ok? I'm guessing these are the HS07 4 Port USB 2.0 Hub and the 4 port USB 3.0 hub in the IORegistryExplorer Screenshot below. Not sure why it's labelling them as four ports, as there is only 1x USB 2.0 port and 2x USB 3.0 ports on the case.

EDIT 2: I'm trying to do one thing at a time to deduce whether or not that is the culprit, however, do you also think it could be due to ProximityWake being turned on? When I type in pmset -g in terminal, I have a 1 for Proximitywake, so could my other Apple devices nearby be waking up the Mac? Do you have Proximity Wake on? I got the idea from this thread - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/random-wake-up-after-mojave-heres-the-fix.262507/
A complete USB diagram identifying all of the HSxx and SSxx ports appears in Post #1 (it's not buried inside a spoiler).

Let's proceed as follows:
  • The F_USB header is currently set for Internal USB devices only. This means we should not connect the USB 2 cable from a computer case, because USB ports on the case are External. We can change the USB SSDT to define F_USB as External, but that cannot be done until your Fenvi WiFi/BT card is installed. So for now, disconnect the front panel USB 2 cable. The front panel USB 3 cable is OKAY.
  • Note that certain Maintenance Wakes are perfectly normal. You can check for these in Terminal by typing: sudo pmset -g log | grep Maintenance
  • Some Maintenance Wakes are due to scheduled events such as firing of notifications at 9am. You can check for these by typing: sudo pmset -g sched
  • Some Maintenance Events may be due to Dark Wake (checking email, running Time Machine, etc.) without fully waking up the system. These can be stopped by disabling Power Nap in System Preferences --> Energy. One can also add the Boot Argument: darkwake=0
  • During long periods of sleep, the system can switch automatically from sleep to hibernate to conserve more power. This is especially true in Europe due to energy regulations. To disable this feature, we can type: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
  • We can also disable proximity wake, which is affected by nearby devices that are signed on to the same iCloud ID: sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
  • Others have indicated that disabling "tcpkeepalive" has helped, which can be done like this: pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0
  • Instead of the RTC patch in Clover, we can copy the attached AML file to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. A reboot is required to enable the file.
To examine the real sleep/wake log, we use the following command:
Bash:
sudo pmset -g log
To save the output of this command to a text file, we can type:
Bash:
sudo pmset -g log > ~/Documents/Sleep-Log-1.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called Sleep-Log-1.txt. Feel free to compress and post the file.

Attachments

• 0-SSDT-RTC0.aml
    142 bytes · Views: 79
Last edited:
A complete USB diagram identifying all of the HSxx and SSxx ports appears in Post #1 (it's not buried inside a spoiler).

Let's proceed as follows:
  • The F_USB header is currently set for Internal USB devices only. This means we should not connect the USB 2 cable from a computer case, because USB ports on the case are External. We can change the USB SSDT to define F_USB as External, but that cannot be done until your Fenvi WiFi/BT card is installed. So for now, disconnect the front panel USB 2 cable. The front panel USB 3 cable is OKAY.
  • Note that certain Maintenance Wakes are perfectly normal. You can check for these in Terminal by typing: sudo pmset -g log | grep Maintenance
  • Some Maintenance Wakes are due to scheduled events such as firing of notifications at 9am. You can check for these by typing: sudo pmset -g sched
  • Some Maintenance Events may be due to Dark Wake (checking email, running Time Machine, etc.) without fully waking up the system. These can be stopped by disabling Power Nap in System Preferences --> Energy. One can also add the Boot Argument: darkwake=0
  • During long periods of sleep, the system can switch automatically from sleep to hibernate to conserve more power. This is especially true in Europe due to energy regulations. To disable this feature, we can type: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
  • We can also disable proximity wake, which is affected by nearby devices that are signed on to the same iCloud ID: sudo pmset -a proximitywake 0
  • Others have indicated that disabling "tcpkeepalive" has helped, which can be done like this: pmset -a tcpkeepalive 0
  • Instead of the RTC patch in Clover, we can copy the attached AML file to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. A reboot is required to enable the file.
To examine the real sleep/wake log, we use the following command:
Bash:
sudo pmset -g log
To save the output of this command to a text file, we can type:
Bash:
sudo pmset -g log > ~/Documents/Sleep-Log-1.txt
This will create a file in Documents folder called Sleep-Log-1.txt. Feel free to compress and post the file.

Casey, thank you once again for the detailed response! I've attached my Sleep-log-1.txt file, and have also detached the Front USB 2.0 header from the Motherboard (but I've left the USB 3.0 front panel connection in as you've instructed)

Can you please take a look at my sleep log file and let me know which options from the above I should implement? I just don't want to second guess something before you've seen it, so would appreciate what of the above I should do. I don't mind doing all of the above. To point out again, the Hack was asleep from 12th April 2020 at 22:45 to around 13:00 on 13th April 2020 (which is when I woke it), so anything happening in-between those times I'm guessing will help narrow down what the culprit is?

Lastly, as I'll need some of the USB 3 ports in the future to connect various peripherals (like audio devices, external drives etc), am I ok to plug back in my Apple USB keyboard and Logitech G302 mouse in the USB 2 ports, or should I hold off for now once we get everything working?

Attachments

• Sleep-Log-1.txt.zip
    90.7 KB · Views: 61
I replaced the folder, but had no luck... Still the same problem!
If you had a bootable backup, it could have been very helpful right now. A reminder to everyone: Make a bootable backup now while your system is functioning properly.

Some folks reported stable behavior after changing the following entry in BIOS: IOAPIC 24-119. They flipped the setting to Disabled, booted into macOS, and later changed it back to Enabled. You may want to try this as well.

We can also continue with the process of elimination:
  • Have you already tried disconnecting EVERY USB device (both internal and external) except for USB keyboard and USB mouse? USB keyboard and USB mouse must be connected to one of the USB ports on the rear IO panel, not to the computer case.
  • Have you disconnected all Thunderbolt devices?
  • Have you disabled Bluetooth? It's okay to keep WiFi enabled.
  • Have you disconnected all SATA and NVMe drives except the macOS SSD?
  • Have you removed all PCIe cards except WiFi/BT card? This also means removing the AMD Vega 64 and connecting the computer via USB-C to DisplayPort cable or HDMI-to-HDMI cable using the ports on the rear IO panel, and setting Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007 as described here.
When all else fails, we need to reinstall MacOS from scratch on a spare SSD to create a new baseline. If the system still freezes randomly, then we know that macOS on the primary SSD is not corrupted, so we can focus our attention on hardware components.

Another option is to install Windows or Linux on the same machine on their own separate SSD and see if the computer freezes there as well.

Back