Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi everyone,
What a thread! :) - After having gone through most of it I ordered my own hackingtosh and everything works perfectly except for one thing. I have two LG 4K ultrafine display (22MD4KA) but I can only get one to give me an output. It's as if the second Thunderbolt port only can handle a USB signal, because if i only plug in one display in the second port I don't get an image signal but my mouse which is connected to the screen lights up and I can use it. Maybe that is also what I'm seeing here:

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 00.04.39.png

Is that something others have experienced as well (only one of the two Thunderbolt ports working with display)?

Why don't you try the FIND/REPLACE options in my earlier post? No DSDT or SSDT changes needed. This removes the IF clause. Then use Clover --> Devices --> Properties to inject System Information properties. This keeps everything confined to the config.plist. (Assuming the FIND/REPLACE works.)

I don't need to remove the If() clause for making edits operational with clover. Edits via clover work just without tempering with the DSDT. The idea was to make the edits over SSDT and keep the config.plist as simple as possible. (Sorry, if I get things wrong, I'm hammered, right now, 15min past midnight here in Germany)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
What a thread! :) - After having gone through most of it I ordered my own hackingtosh and everything works perfectly except for one thing. I have two LG 4K ultrafine display (22MD4KA) but I can only get one to give me an output. It's as if the second Thunderbolt port only can handle a USB signal, because if i only plug in one display in the second port I don't get an image signal but my mouse which is connected to the screen lights up and I can use it. Maybe that is also what I'm seeing here:

View attachment 461753

Is that something others have experienced as well (only one of the two Thunderbolt ports working with display)?
Hello @jensas,

Welcome to the forum!

If you have connected a short DisplayPort cable from the RX 5600 XT to the port marked DP-In on the rear IO panel, then Thunderbolt port #1 (closest to HDMI) will be able to drive a Thunderbolt monitor such as the LG UltraFine 4K.

Because this motherboard has only a single DP-In, which is connected to Thunderbolt Port #1, the question then is: How can we send a DisplayPort signal to the second Thunderbolt port?

This is done by using the iGPU. If we switch Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007, we should be able to connect a Thunderbolt monitor to the second Thunderbolt port. In your config.plist, go to the Drivers --> Properties and change the current setting to 07009B3E (which is 0x3E9B0007 in reverse byte order):

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 3.16.09 PM.png
Then connect both monitors and reboot.

Hello @mdog474,

Do you already have an X99 motherboard or do you want to build a brand new Hackintosh with SMBIOS iMacPro 1,1?
Hi @CaseySJ I have an ASUS X99 A-II and was considering getting an X99 Deluxe II if that is better--I think you might have posted some FinalCut export performance that was significantly better with the iMacPro on X99 compared to i9-9900K on the Designare. One big use case for me is UAUDIO over thunderbolt + video export. Do you have a pointer to a post with a recommended setup?

Hello @jensas,

Welcome to the forum!

If you have connected a short DisplayPort cable from the RX 5600 XT to the port marked DP-In on the rear IO panel, then Thunderbolt port #1 (closest to HDMI) will be able to drive a Thunderbolt monitor such as the LG UltraFine 4K.

Because this motherboard has only a single DP-In, which is connected to Thunderbolt Port #1, the question then is: How can we send a DisplayPort signal to the second Thunderbolt port?

This is done by using the iGPU. If we switch Platform ID to 0x3E9B0007, we should be able to connect a Thunderbolt monitor to the second Thunderbolt port. In your config.plist, go to the Drivers --> Properties and change the current setting to 07009B3E (which is 0x3E9B0007 in reverse byte order):

Then connect both monitors and reboot.

Thank you for the quick response! I think I might be stuck with another problem then because I have a Intel KF processor so I need to find another solution I guess...

Hi @CaseySJ I have an ASUS X99 A-II and was considering getting an X99 Deluxe II if that is better--I think you might have posted some FinalCut export performance that was significantly better with the iMacPro on X99 compared to i9-9900K on the Designare. One big use case for me is UAUDIO over thunderbolt + video export. Do you have a pointer to a post with a recommended setup?
The performance chart I posted was done by a YouTuber named Peter Paul Chato. It's based on his own Hackintosh.

If you are considering building a new system, I would definitely recommend the Designare Z390 over the Asus X99 Deluxe II. No question!

Thank you for the quick response! I think I might be stuck with another problem then because I have a Intel KF processor so I need to find another solution I guess...
Ouch! But there is an alternative solution. You can purchase a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge. They can drive the other monitor. However, because these add-in-cards have two DisplayPort inputs, one card can drive both LG UltraFine 4K monitors.

Update: Based on @scottkendall's post below, it seems only GC-Titan Ridge has been successful in driving two monitors.

Last edited:
The performance chart I posted was done by a YouTuber named Peter Paul Chato. It's based on his own Hackintosh.

If you are considering building a new system, I would definitely recommend the Designare Z390 over the Asus X99 Deluxe II. No question!
ok good to know. I'll stick with my Designare Z390 setup. It is the most stable of config I've had so far. Thanks!

I'm running Mojave 10.14.5
The Boot menu does appear and it contains the usual option to boot macOS
The OS won't boot that is where it crash...
Theres a way to remove the WhateverGreen.kext without getting into the system?
I went out to buy a new battery (The only difference is that the system is keeping the time right)... Did the CMOS reset and loaded the Load Optimized Defaults.
Never changed this MSR 0xE2.
Sorry about the misinformation... I'm not an expert on this, but I'm trying to follow the steps the best I can!
  • Firmware F6 is perfectly okay. You may upgrade to F7 or F8 or even F9b if you like. It will be necessary to reconfigure BIOS parameters afterwards.
  • How long ago was Mojave installed? Recently? Weeks ago? Months ago?
  • Was it running properly for some time and then suddenly the crashes started?
  • Do you have a full bootable backup of Mojave? We usually do this right after installing macOS. It gives us a known working baseline that we can go back to.
  • Do the crashes occur:
    • When running a web browser?
    • When running one of your applications?
    • When running one of the built-in Apple applications?
    • When copying large files?
    • Completely randomly?
    • Other?
I've updated to the F8 and already reconfigured the settings. (Now I can boot the OS)
Mojave is installed for 11 months now and was running smoothly until the thunderbolt issue (wich was solved by reconfiguring the BIOS).
By bootable backup you mean a bootable usb drive? If so, I have the files I used to install and I can recreate it...
The crashes happen completely randomly, even if I'm not doing anything or leave it in the login screen... After a 2/5 minutes it crashes.

You can purchase a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge.

I was only able to get all the video pass threw to work on both TB3 ports on the Titian. On the Alpine the video is not right even after making Alpine DROM. I have video from both ports, and the DP all work on the Titan. I do not remember getting them to work with 23 or 41 only on 33.

Back