Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580

Hi @CaseySJ !

Once again thanks for the excellent guide!

I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina today... it took a while and a few attempts (thankfully I had a working backup that I could fall back to!) but I got it up and running now, at least mostly.
Kudos! Excellent decision to make a backup ahead of time.
Few things I could use some help on:

- Can't get a signal via DisplayPort on the Vega64 to my Monitor. BIOS, Clover and Boot work fine over DP but then I have to switch over to HDMI (also on the Vega64) to get any output on the display. I updated Whatevergreen (again) but no luck.
- No audio except for via Bluetooth to Airpods or via HDMI. Headphonejacks etc are not detected. I think I installed AppleALC correctly (I copied it over from the Catalina-Upgrade-ZIP from the Miniguide). I also don't see any audio devices in the system profiles, except the HMDI audio.

Im attaching my zipped EFI-Folder if that helps.

BR
Marc
Some comments and questions:
  • Your CLOVER folder looks fine, but it's best to remove or disable the two highlighted items:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.18.30 AM.png
  • This problem has been reported before, but it can be tricky to solve. One simple suggestion is to add agdpmod=pikera to your Boot Arguments. This simply changes board-id to board-ix, and is created to a Hackintosh legend who goes by the alias Piker Alpha (hence piker-a or pikera). It solves boot-to-black screen with AMD RX 5700 GPUs, but might be worth trying on Vega as well. This can be added by right-clicking inside the Boot Arguments box in Clover Configurator as shown.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.39.32 AM.png
  • Notice that there are 3 agdpmod options. Feel free to try them all, but no guarantees.
  • A more severe course of action is to try removing WhateverGreen altogether, but this can render some video ports unusable. Please see this post and the two linked posts in the paragraph below:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.42.43 AM.png
  • To troubleshoot the audio problem, type this in Terminal: kextstat | grep -v apple. We want to see if AppleALC is up and running.
  • Finally, it may be a good idea to momentarily boot from the backup disk and confirm that video (DisplayPort thru Vega) and audio are working.

Sure, please follow only bullets 6 through 16 of this guide:
This will create a brand new USB flash disk with a brand new EFI/CLOVER folder. At Step 16 we boot Mojave using the new USB disk. If the boot succeeds and you can confirm that the same serial number appears in About this Mac, then we can copy the EFI folder from the USB disk to the EFI partition of the macOS SSD (but be sure to back up the existing EFI folder on the macOS SSD).
Thanks. It's telling me to change my system definition and to change my graphics, why is that?
I'm running ElCapitan with system definition iMac 14,2 and Nvidia graphics, the guide only mentions AMD graphics
EDIT: my config.plist in RtVariables doesn't have a MLB and a ROM parameter, I'm afraid the guide cannot apply to my system

Thanks. It's telling me to change my system definition and to change my graphics, why is that?
I'm running ElCapitan with system definition iMac 14,2 and Nvidia graphics, the guide only mentions AMD graphics
Sorry -- because you posted in this thread, I assumed you had a Designare Z390 running Mojave. Remember please that this thread is focused on the Designare Z390 and some of its close cousins. If you post your question in Post Installation --> General Help, just mention my name in your post and I'll respond there.

Yep, most likely my issue is I am running with my iGPU disabled. It's a bit of a train of logic but I don't want to enable the iGPU. If I enable the IGPU I have to switch to using OCQuirks for the APTIO memory fix and that causes the primary boot sequence (from clover selection until just before login) to be black on my monitor. Meaning I don't get the Apple Logo and Progress bar. Silly little thing to miss, but there it is... Thank you so much for responding, I'll keep playing with OCQuirks and probably at some point I'll switch over and reenable my iGPU.

Isn't what you're having just a config problem? Just asking out of curiosity, because I have iGPU enabled and I saw the progress bar as I ran it in headless mode and also saw it, when I was driving a HDMI display with it. Never had the opportunity to try a TB3 display, though.

I just had a shiny object / squirrel moment with the Designaire MOBO.... Are people connecting their MOBO Display Port In connection to their GPU or not? For reasons unknown I've directly connected the monitor to my GPU without the MOBO at all.

Whats the purpose of that connection, does this enable capability on a Thunderbolt daisy chain that's I'm not using?

I just had a shiny object / squirrel moment with the Designaire MOBO.... Are people connecting their MOBO Display Port In connection to their GPU or not? For reasons unknown I've directly connected the monitor to my GPU without the MOBO at all.

Whats the purpose of that connection, does this enable capability on a Thunderbolt daisy chain that's I'm not using?
The only time we need to connect DisplayPort from the GPU to DP-In port on the motherboard's rear IO panel is to drive a Thunderbolt monitor with a Thunderbolt cable.

Ouch! But there is an alternative solution. You can purchase a Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge or GC-Titan Ridge. They can drive the other monitor. However, because these add-in-cards have two DisplayPort inputs, one card can drive both LG UltraFine 4K monitors.

Update: Based on @scottkendall's post below, it seems only GC-Titan Ridge has been successful in driving two monitors.

@CaseySJ, @scottkendall Thank you both! I just ordered the GC-Titan today. Is there anything I should be aware of when setting it up or is it more or less plug and play?

In advance thanks!

The only time we need to connect DisplayPort from the GPU to DP-In port on the motherboard's rear IO panel is to drive a Thunderbolt monitor with a Thunderbolt cable.
Makes sense.... I think I had a personal kernel panic / system reboot.

Hello all! Thank you @CaseySJ for you hard work and dedication to all us Hackintosher! I followed your many guides to make some updates to my Hackintosh: enabled NVRAM and updated from 10.15.2 to 10.15.4. So far, all is working fine! And yes, I made and maintain a bootable backup!
Thank you!
I did want to ask a couple of questions: Is there a guide for overclocking the cpu using the Gigabyte z390 Desingare? Should I just look up a YouTube video or do you know of one that is handy? As for GPU, there are tools to overclock my AMD Vega 56 card using EVGA Precision. Would those overclocks carry over to the Hackintosh on a dual boot system (Not that there's much Mac gaming)?
I'm not a mechanic and don't know how to work on cars, but this bad boy is my "hotrod" and I want to tune as much power out of it as possible! Problem is that I'm still learning my way around all my components.
Thanks!

@CaseySJ, @scottkendall Thank you both! I just ordered the GC-Titan today. Is there anything I should be aware of when setting it up or is it more or less plug and play?

In advance thanks!

For it to work in the manner I suggest you need to change the firmware out using an external programer. There are directions to do this on the first post in a spoiler. You will also need to follow the DROM configuration for SSDT as the video did not seem to work until this step was also completed. This will give you local node, TB3 <--> TB3 networking, hot plug, basically 95% Real Mac implementation. Keep in mind I use the modified firmware for the Designare board not the modified firmware for Titian AIC. I use the Raspberry Pi choice as an external programer.

It can also be done with SSDT that gives you hot plug and likely will allow video pass threw but that is not something I can help with.

Back