Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

ok I will try find another cable first, since my monitor only support HDMI.. will be back with the result

Install the Pixel Clock Patch v2

I have installed Sierra 10.12.4 and latest nVidia web drivers and pasted the config edit in the first post into EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Monitor goes to "no signal" half way through the loading of the Apple status bar. When I reboot with web drivers disabled, Nvidia menu is back to OSX drivers. Everything else is working. The system is:

ASUS Maximus VI Hero (Z87)
ASUS GTX 750
14,2 system definition
Latest version of Clover and Clover Configurator

My problem seems similar to "Problem #4" but I am not using any of the system definitions referenced in it.

Mac Pro 3,1
Running 10.11.6 15G1421 after the Security Update a couple days ago.
Installed current web driver (346.03.15f07), but it complains my OS is not compatible.

Attempting to boot with an Nvidia 980 Ti results in blackscreen (connected via DVI to VGA adaptor). I saw that somebody had a possible solution involving Clover Configurator, but seeing as my computer is not a hackintosh I question the need for such software.

Ideas? Requests for more information?

Mac Pro 3,1
Running 10.11.6 15G1421 after the Security Update a couple days ago.
Installed current web driver (346.03.15f07), but it complains my OS is not compatible.

Attempting to boot with an Nvidia 980 Ti results in blackscreen (connected via DVI to VGA adaptor). I saw that somebody had a possible solution involving Clover Configurator, but seeing as my computer is not a hackintosh I question the need for such software.

Ideas? Requests for more information?

Boot with nv_disable=1 and then update the driver.

I have installed Sierra 10.12.4 and latest nVidia web drivers and pasted the config edit in the first post into EFI/CLOVER/config.plist. Monitor goes to "no signal" half way through the loading of the Apple status bar. When I reboot with web drivers disabled, Nvidia menu is back to OSX drivers. Everything else is working. The system is:

ASUS Maximus VI Hero (Z87)
ASUS GTX 750
14,2 system definition
Latest version of Clover and Clover Configurator

My problem seems similar to "Problem #4" but I am not using any of the system definitions referenced in it.

Are you using HDMI? If so then that is your issue because you have an Asus GTX 750.

Boot with nv_disable=1 and then update the driver.

I appreciate the very prompt response, but I don't think I understand.

The driver is fully up to date (can't update the driver if it's the latest driver >.>), and there's no Nvidia GPU presently installed to disable. On the assumption that I should do it anyway, how would I do that? And should I first uninstall the Web Driver in order to facilitate an 'update' after booting with that parameter?

Edit: Perhaps I should include that since I can't get any kind of boot with the 980, I'm using my previous GPU, an Apple ATI 5870 until I get the driver issues worked out.

I appreciate the very prompt response, but I don't think I understand.

The driver is fully up to date (can't update the driver if it's the latest driver >.>), and there's no Nvidia GPU presently installed to disable. On the assumption that I should do it anyway, how would I do that? And should I first uninstall the Web Driver in order to facilitate an 'update' after booting with that parameter?

Edit: Perhaps I should include that since I can't get any kind of boot with the 980, I'm using my previous GPU, an Apple ATI 5870 until I get the driver issues worked out.

Sorry read your post quickly.

There is a very good chance the issue is your adapter. VGA is never recommended. Also are you sure you downloaded the correct driver?

Sorry read your post quickly.

There is a very good chance the issue is your adapter. VGA is never recommended. Also are you sure you downloaded the correct driver?

After the last couple of days I memorized the driver number as well as my El Capitan build number. I have also accessed the kexts to double-check that the web driver is checking for my OS build number (and accessed my SystemVerson.plist to confirm that it is reporting accurately). I am certain. =)

With regard to the cable, it does not seem to make sense that whatever given cable would have any bearing on whether or not the Web Driver control panel reports the driver as compatible with my Operating System.

In any event, according to information found elsewhere, it appears that nvidia web drivers do not properly install unless nvidia drivers are disabled beforehand (using the command in terminal: sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1" ).

Seeing as it was in alignment with your suggested course, and for the sake of chasing my tail (I've little better to do), I went ahead and...
- uninstalled the nvidia web driver,
- used the above command to use the boot argument nv_disable=1,
- rebooted,
- reinstalled web driver 346.03.15f07,
- rebooted again.

Result was identical to the previous situation: web driver complains it is incompatible with my operating system, and the nvidia driver is not selectable instead of OSX Default Drivers.

Additional sources elsewhere indicated that I should follow up that procedure by running another command in terminal to re-enable nvidia drivers: sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1" So I did that and rebooted. Still no change. Control panel still complains web driver is not compatible with my operating system. No updates are available. No option to switch to the nvidia drivers.

It's all very confusing, because everything seems like it should be in order.

Edit: Another point of clarity. The driver package installs happily, without complaining of a wrong OS (other packages such as 346.03.15f06 immediately complain about wrong OS before installing). It only complains about a wrong OS after it has successfully installed.

Last edited:
Back