Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Install the Pixel Clock Patch v2

yessss finally it works after installing this patch v2... now i can go to ultrawide resolution without having to change hdmi cable

After the last couple of days I memorized the driver number as well as my El Capitan build number. I have also accessed the kexts to double-check that the web driver is checking for my OS build number (and accessed my SystemVerson.plist to confirm that it is reporting accurately). I am certain. =)

With regard to the cable, it does not seem to make sense that whatever given cable would have any bearing on whether or not the Web Driver control panel reports the driver as compatible with my Operating System.

In any event, according to information found elsewhere, it appears that nvidia web drivers do not properly install unless nvidia drivers are disabled beforehand (using the command in terminal: sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1" ).

Seeing as it was in alignment with your suggested course, and for the sake of chasing my tail (I've little better to do), I went ahead and...
- uninstalled the nvidia web driver,
- used the above command to use the boot argument nv_disable=1,
- rebooted,
- reinstalled web driver 346.03.15f07,
- rebooted again.

Result was identical to the previous situation: web driver complains it is incompatible with my operating system, and the nvidia driver is not selectable instead of OSX Default Drivers.

Additional sources elsewhere indicated that I should follow up that procedure by running another command in terminal to re-enable nvidia drivers: sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1" So I did that and rebooted. Still no change. Control panel still complains web driver is not compatible with my operating system. No updates are available. No option to switch to the nvidia drivers.

It's all very confusing, because everything seems like it should be in order.

Edit: Another point of clarity. The driver package installs happily, without complaining of a wrong OS (other packages such as 346.03.15f06 immediately complain about wrong OS before installing). It only complains about a wrong OS after it has successfully installed.

What OS build number is in the NVDAStartupWeb.kext info.plist?

The thing about disabling the drivers before upgrading is nonsense. I haven't booted with nv_disable=1 since like 10.10.4. I've done the normal update process with every update since then.

What OS build number is in the NVDAStartupWeb.kext info.plist?

The thing about disabling the drivers before upgrading is nonsense. I haven't booted with nv_disable=1 since like 10.10.4. I've done the normal update process with every update since then.

Entire contents of System > Library > Extensions > NVDAStartupWeb.kext > Contents > Info.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
   <string>11A511</string>
   <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
   <string>English</string>
   <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
   <string>NVDAStartupWeb</string>
   <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
   <string>NVDAStartupWeb 10.11.14 (346.03.15f07)</string>
   <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
   <string>com.nvidia.NVDAStartupWeb</string>
   <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
   <string>6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleName</key>
   <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
   <string>KEXT</string>
   <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
   <string>10.11.14</string>
   <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
   <string>????</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>10.1.1</string>
   <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
   <dict>
       <key>NVDAStartup</key>
       <dict>
           <key>IOClass</key>
           <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
           <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
           <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
           <string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000</string>
           <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
           <string>0x000010de&amp;0x0000ffff</string>
           <key>IOProbeScore</key>
           <integer>200000</integer>
           <key>IOProviderClass</key>
           <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
           <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
           <string>15G1421</string>
           <key>NVDAType</key>
           <string>Web</string>
       </dict>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
   <dict>
       <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
       <string>1.0b1</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
       <string>7.0</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
       <string>8.0d0</string>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
   <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Looks like <string>15G1421</string>, to me. Matches number found under About This Mac.

Edit: added code tags

Entire contents of System > Library > Extensions > NVDAStartupWeb.kext > Contents > Info.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
   <string>11A511</string>
   <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
   <string>English</string>
   <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
   <key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
   <string>NVDAStartupWeb 10.11.14 (346.03.15f07)</string>
   <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
   <string>6.0</string>
   <key>CFBundleName</key>
   <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
   <string>KEXT</string>
   <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
   <string>10.11.14</string>
   <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
   <string>????</string>
   <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
   <string>10.1.1</string>
   <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
   <dict>
       <key>NVDAStartup</key>
       <dict>
           <key>IOClass</key>
           <key>IOMatchCategory</key>
           <string>IOFramebuffer</string>
           <key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>
           <string>0x03000000&amp;0xff000000</string>
           <key>IOPCIMatch</key>
           <string>0x000010de&amp;0x0000ffff</string>
           <key>IOProbeScore</key>
           <integer>200000</integer>
           <key>IOProviderClass</key>
           <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
           <key>NVDARequiredOS</key>
           <string>15G1421</string>
           <key>NVDAType</key>
           <string>Web</string>
       </dict>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleLibraries</key>
   <dict>
       <key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>
       <string>1.0b1</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>
       <string>7.0</string>
       <key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>
       <string>8.0d0</string>
   </dict>
   <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
   <string>Safe Boot</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Looks like <string>15G1421</string>, to me. Matches number found under About This Mac.

Edit: added code tags

Yea that's correct, you have something bizarre going on. Only thing I can say is to clear kernel cache using terminal and reboot. You can find the two commands in the first post of this thread.

Yea that's correct, you have something bizarre going on. Only thing I can say is to clear kernel cache using terminal and reboot. You can find the two commands in the first post of this thread.

Performed the following:
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext WavTap.kext (something I've set up previously)
sudo kextcache -system-caches
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$ sudo kextcache -system-caches
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$

Rebooted. Logged into user to find this waiting for me, just as previous:

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.51.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 1.54.39 AM.png

Posts on the first page of this thread also mentions the 'nuclear option' of commenting out the hardware check. Any advice on whether to pursue that option? And where I would find the correct file to edit?

Performed the following:
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Password:
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext WavTap.kext (something I've set up previously)
sudo kextcache -system-caches
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$ sudo kextcache -system-caches
UEs-Mac-Pro:~ UE$

Rebooted. Logged into user to find this waiting for me, just as previous:

View attachment 245054 View attachment 245055

Posts on the first page of this thread also mentions the 'nuclear option' of commenting out the hardware check. Any advice on whether to pursue that option? And where I would find the correct file to edit?

That is just for installing the driver and isn't necessary as of 10.10.5. The only check the drivers do is from the OS version.

Ok, i definitely getting ignored. Whats the problem? I asked patiently for 3 weeks now… I post a question and constantly someones question behind my post is answered. This is getting frustrating since my computer is useless for 3 weeks now. If something is missing why can't you just tell, instead of ignoring my posts?

Ok, i definitely getting ignored. Whats the problem? I asked patiently for 3 weeks now… I post a question and constantly someones question behind my post is answered. This is getting frustrating since my computer is useless for 3 weeks now. If something is missing why can't you just tell, instead of ignoring my posts?

Maybe there isn't an answer for you? I have not seen the problem you are having so it is hard for me to help you. Hackintoshing is not easy an often requires a lot of trial and error. It is also not that I am ignoring you, I work full-time and have two young children so I do most of this from my phone when or if I get a chance.

Maybe there isn't an answer for you? I have not seen the problem you are having so it is hard for me to help you. Hackintoshing is not easy an often requires a lot of trial and error. It is also not that I am ignoring you, I work full-time and have two young children so I do most of this from my phone when or if I get a chance.

Well alone with this information I know I have to search for a solution somewhere else. I also understand, that everybody is doing this just for the sake of the thing and i appreciate your efforts. Thats why I was constantly asking patient over 3 weeks.

Would posting my config help? Or do you maybe have an idea where to start searching?

Well alone with this information I know I have to search for a solution somewhere else. I also understand, that everybody is doing this just for the sake of the thing and i appreciate your efforts. Thats why I was constantly asking patient over 3 weeks.

Would posting my config help? Or do you maybe have an idea where to start searching?

That might help, and is worth a try if there is something obvious.

Back