Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I am having the black screen on boot problem with my new hackintosh. I have tried all the methods I could find, including every one in this post. I applied the kext patch, fixed the AppleGraphicsControl.kext, and tried all the suggested fixes in Shilohh's post. While I have determined that the computer still works, the screen still does not work. Please help me!

Here are the specs:
  • Graphics driver: NVIDIA 346.03.10f02
  • Config file: attached
  • Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z170-HD3P
  • Drivers:
    • EmuVariableUefi-64
    • FSInject-64
    • HFSPlus
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
    • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64
    • Test2

UPDATE: I changed a couple things in my BIOS and discovered a strange error (image attached) when booting up with graphics enabled. It still boots fine otherwise though

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I am having the black screen on boot problem with my new hackintosh. I have tried all the methods I could find, including every one in this post. I applied the kext patch, fixed the AppleGraphicsControl.kext, and tried all the suggested fixes in Shilohh's post. While I have determined that the computer still works, the screen still does not work. Please help me!

Here are the specs:
  • Graphics driver: NVIDIA 346.03.10f02
  • Config file: attached
  • Drivers:
    • EmuVariableUefi-64
    • FSInject-64
    • HFSPlus
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
    • OsxFatBinaryDrv-64
    • Test2

What kind of connection are you using?

I just did a fresh install last night with a GTX 950. The first install I did with the GTX 950 wouldn't boot so I redid the install with just the onboard graphics, installed the web drivers, and installed the gpu card back. I think I'm good to go, just want to confirm some things:

1. I had the display going to sleep issue as described in problem #4. I tried both solution #1 and solution #2 but neither of them worked for me. I then decided to clear my kext cache using step #7 on solution #3 and it that seemed to fix the issue. It wasn't explicitly mentioned for solutions #1 and #2, but just to confirm, do all of those solutions require refreshing the kext cache?

2. I think I have the web drivers loaded properly since I now have proper graphics and acceleration. Although the nvdia pref pane still says I'm using the built in OSX drivers, and when I switch to the Nvidia web drivers on the pref pane, it switches back to the built in OSX drivers after reboot. I read somewhere that it's normal that the pref pane does not reflect the actual drivers that are loaded, and I can confirm I have the web drivers using a kextstat command. I haven't had the chance to check the kextstat command yet, but I just wanted to confirm that it's normal for the pref pane to revert back to the OSX drivers, even though the nvdia drivers are loaded.

thanks

1. I had the display going to sleep issue as described in problem #4. I tried both solution #1 and solution #2 but neither of them worked for me. I then decided to clear my kext cache using step #7 on solution #3 and it that seemed to fix the issue. It wasn't explicitly mentioned for solutions #1 and #2, but just to confirm, do all of those solutions require refreshing the kext cache?

Refreshing the KEXT cache won't hurt and can often fix kext related issues. It isn't necessary for those two solutions but glad you got it fixed.

2. I think I have the web drivers loaded properly since I now have proper graphics and acceleration. Although the nvdia pref pane still says I'm using the built in OSX drivers, and when I switch to the Nvidia web drivers on the pref pane, it switches back to the built in OSX drivers after reboot. I read somewhere that it's normal that the pref pane does not reflect the actual drivers that are loaded, and I can confirm I have the web drivers using a kextstat command. I haven't had the chance to check the kextstat command yet, but I just wanted to confirm that it's normal for the pref pane to revert back to the OSX drivers, even though the nvdia drivers are loaded.

It will show the correct driver selected if you have NVRAM support, be it native or emulated. I don't know what board you are running so I cannot give you any advice on setting it up.

It will show the correct driver selected if you have NVRAM support, be it native or emulated. I don't know what board you are running so I cannot give you any advice on setting it up.

I have the emulated NVRAM efi driver installed. The preference panel shows the correct setting until I restart, then it says OS X instead of NVIDIA Web Driver. This means boot-args is changeable but is not saved.
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is in my drivers64UEFI folder, but does not appear when I type
Code:
dh -d
in the EFI Shell.

Apologies, that was a typo. Flags applied from Clover. I am booting on iMac 14,2 now - It can see and load nVidia web drivers without issue. As soon as I change to 17,2 i get monitor switch off.

I have tried applying Fix 4 (Although from Clover Configurator, i notice it says to apply the find and replace in HEX, but according to the thread they don't look like they are in hex? True? When I replace in text edit i get no change.

If I apply the fix app, i get a KP. Right now I am at odds as to what to do. Help greatly appreciated! Here is my EFI.

*Edit* I managed to get it installed by using the terminal fix, but this is not permanent is it? I'd love some help making the edits to my file within Clover Configurator so i can make it perfect, but as above it asks for HEX.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.3 MB · Views: 115
I have the emulated NVRAM efi driver installed. The preference panel shows the correct setting until I restart, then it says OS X instead of NVIDIA Web Driver. This means boot-args is changeable but is not saved.
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is in my drivers64UEFI folder, but does not appear when I type
Code:
dh -d
in the EFI Shell.

Did you install the rc scripts? Sometimes they are needed. FYI- that response wasn't for you.

Last edited:
Refreshing the KEXT cache won't hurt and can often fix kext related issues. It isn't necessary for those two solutions but glad you got it fixed.

I have a GA-Z170X-UD5, which if I googled correctly, I think is supposed to have NVRAM support natively?

But it doesn't seem to save the changes I make to the nvram. For example I did:
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="nvda_drv=1"

then rebooted my pc. but checking again using
Code:
nvram -p -x
it's no longer there after the reboot

I confirmed I have OsxAptioFix2Drv installed, but not OsxAptioFixDrv. If I remove the "2" driver and replace it with the non-2 driver, it does not boot and gives me a memory error. I also tried installing the rc scripts and it didn't seem to help

Back