Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

I have a GA-Z170X-UD5, which if I googled correctly, I think is supposed to have NVRAM support natively?

In the admin section of this forum it was determined, through testing, that the Gigabyte 100 series boards do not support NVRAM natively. For NVRAM support you need to install EmuVariableUefi-64. I have updated the first post of this thread with steps to set it up if you need it, see problem #6.

Last edited:
On auto, yes, so I could install and such, but when I just tried disabling it I encountered the same problem.

I just looked at your config, you have Inject Nvidia set to true it should be false.

Did you install the rc scripts? Sometimes they are needed. FYI- that response wasn't for you.
The response clearly states who you were addressing. I just wanted to point out that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi was not sufficient and that more instructions for enabling emulated NVRAM were required.

I've installed the rc scripts now, and the NVRAM now saves correctly so that the settings appear again after a restart. It is not stated in the Clover installer that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and the RC scripts are related and that both are required for emulated NVRAM to function correctly.

Also, if you have emulated nvram working, then you can remove nvda_drv=1 from config.plist if it is set in NVRAM. Or you can keep it in config.plist if you think it's safer. Clover is smart enough to combine the NVRAM boot-args and the config.plist Boot/Arguments without adding duplicates. It is this combined list of arguments that the system uses. The combined list is not stored in NVRAM.

The response clearly states who you were addressing. I just wanted to point out that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi was not sufficient and that more instructions for enabling emulated NVRAM were required.

I've installed the rc scripts now, and the NVRAM now saves correctly so that the settings appear again after a restart. It is not stated in the Clover installer that EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and the RC scripts are related and that both are required for emulated NVRAM to function correctly.

Also, if you have emulated nvram working, then you can remove nvda_drv=1 from config.plist if it is set in NVRAM. Or you can keep it in config.plist if you think it's safer. Clover is smart enough to combine the NVRAM boot-args and the config.plist Boot/Arguments without adding duplicates. It is this combined list of arguments that the system uses. The combined list is not stored in NVRAM.

I have native NVRAM support and still keep nvda_drv=1 in my config and it hasn't caused any problems. RC Scripts aren't always needed for NVRAM emulation but it helps and if it isn't working it generally fixes it.

Apologies, that was a typo. Flags applied from Clover. I am booting on iMac 14,2 now - It can see and load nVidia web drivers without issue. As soon as I change to 17,2 i get monitor switch off.

I have tried applying Fix 4 (Although from Clover Configurator, i notice it says to apply the find and replace in HEX, but according to the thread they don't look like they are in hex? True? When I replace in text edit i get no change.

If I apply the fix app, i get a KP. Right now I am at odds as to what to do. Help greatly appreciated! Here is my EFI.

*Edit* I managed to get it installed by using the terminal fix, but this is not permanent is it? I'd love some help making the edits to my file within Clover Configurator so i can make it perfect, but as above it asks for HEX.

Correct the guide is not in hex and in your config.plist it isn't in hex. It is exactly as it appears in the guide you can copy and paste it in place using Text Edit if you are comfortable with the syntax. I have added the patch to your config file and attached it here.

The Terminal edits are permanent until an OS X update.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.5 KB · Views: 242
Make sure you are not injecting Nvidia
I double checked and inject Nvidia is set to false. Wondering if I'd make other things buggy by moving away from Imac 17. definition since I'm on skylake z170x ud5th board. I still am unable to get any video out of my 980ti sc unfortunately. I've tried the solutions in the first post and also tried shilohh's patch to no avail. Using web driver (15F34) 346.03.10f02 and am happy to provide any other pertinent system information that might clue someone with more experience with hackintosh coding into what the problem is. Has anyone on a skylake/gigabyte z170x-ud5th gotten nvidia to work on osx 10.11.5? Many thanks

I've attached my current config file.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.8 KB · Views: 240
Correct the guide is not in hex and in your config.plist it isn't in hex. It is exactly as it appears in the guide you can copy and paste it in place using Text Edit if you are comfortable with the syntax. I have added the patch to your config file and attached it here.

The Terminal edits are permanent until an OS X update.
Thank you so much, i'll give it a go and report back after next update. Am i ok to use the terminal patch and this clover file concurrently?

Also, is there a way to get the EmuVariable file and do it myself? I don't want to try to re-install clover for the moment but theres no way to just install that file when in the clover installer

The installer will not overwrite your config.plist. It will replace the Clover and boot efi files and anything else you have selected. Any files or folders you added to the EFI partition will remain. A backup of everything is stored on your Mac OS X partition so you can move anything back to the EFI partition after the install.

You could use Pacifist.app to get the EmuVariable driver, or you could compile Clover yourself. The installer is the easiest way to get the rc scripts if it turns out that EmuVariable is not enough.

Back