Contribute
Register

Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems

Hi
Exact same problem here with galax GTX 980 HOF and macOS sierra 10.12.1 16B2657...
If i inject nvidia i get the name in the about my mac but 0MB vram
If i dont inject i see "nvidia chip model 7MB" (or something like that, i dont remember)
And if i boot with web driver i get boot loop.
the latest nvidia web driver is installed which came out two days ago i think
And the nvidia panel in system prefrences do not even detect my card in the ECC tab !
Also tried 10.12 and same thing there.
Realy don't know what to do

@niko974 So finally found the solution :headbang:
it seem that i can't use the DVI port of gpu in macOS, when i connect my display via HDMI it boots to OS with gpu successfully recognized (with inject nvidia disabled) ! :D
The DVI port is completely unusable in os x with nvidia web driver, even after booting with display connected to HDMI when i connect another display to DVI port system freezes and get restarted o_O

But when i boot using HDMI i get an annoying problem :problem: screen goes dark for maybe half a second every 6 seconds, just like a macbook pro switching from integrated gpu to discrete , Any idea how to solve that ?

Attachments

• t2.png
    t2.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 229
  • t3.png
    t3.png
    584.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I have the same issue @mr.rs gtx 980 sc here tho.

Edit- I got it working but safari and chrome keep crashing. I changed smbios to mid 2010.

Edit again- After reboot chrome seems to be working! i dont need any boot flags other than the one for x99 mobos.

I have a i7-6800k 32GB ddr4 and a gtx 980

tnx for help but changing smbios to imac 11,3 doen't solved my issue ...

I just attached the config.plist. Thanks for your time!

You had a hidden character after the </dict> from the AGDP patch. You can use the following terminal command to find syntax errors, it will tell you what is wrong and what line the error is on:
Code:
plutil <PATH_TO_THE_FILE>

This is what that command returned for the plist that you uploaded:
Code:
Encountered unexpected character â on line 170 while looking for open tag

I have attached your fixed config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.1 KB · Views: 198
You had a hidden character after the </dict> from the AGDP patch. You can use the following terminal command to find syntax errors, it will tell you what is wrong and what line the error is on:
Code:
plutil <PATH_TO_THE_FILE>

This is what that command returned for the plist that you uploaded:
Code:
Encountered unexpected character â on line 170 while looking for open tag

I have attached your fixed config.plist

Awesome thanks! I was looking for a way to fix syntax errors with my text editor but will use terminal from now on.

The fix stopped working completely after the 10.11.6 update today and I bit the bullet and used the ADGPfix app. Worked flawlessly after first reboot.

Now I have to see if I can restore the vanilla kext and use the clover on the fly fix with the new config.plist.

Is there any drawback with either way of fixing it? I really liked the way the app worked and am fine with running it after every update.

Awesome thanks! I was looking for a way to fix syntax errors with my text editor but will use terminal from now on.

The fix stopped working completely after the 10.11.6 update today and I bit the bullet and used the ADGPfix app. Worked flawlessly after first reboot.

Now I have to see if I can restore the vanilla kext and use the clover on the fly fix with the new config.plist.

Is there any drawback with either way of fixing it? I really liked the way the app worked and am fine with running it after every update.

There isn't a real negative to running the AGDPfix.app unless you prefer to keep your install as vanilla as possible. I personally prefer to keep all kext in the SLE folder untouched if possible so when the Clover patch stopped working 10.12 I just switched to iMac14,2 from iMac15,1.

There isn't a real negative to running the AGDPfix.app unless you prefer to keep your install as vanilla as possible. I personally prefer to keep all kext in the SLE folder untouched if possible so when the Clover patch stopped working 10.12 I just switched to iMac14,2 from iMac15,1.

Okay, good to know.
Last time I switched my smbios I had re-enter all my serials for apps. No fun times... does that have to do with getting a different serial number with the smbios?

Okay, good to know.
Last time I switched my smbios I had re-enter all my serials for apps. No fun times... does that have to do with getting a different serial number with the smbios?

That all depends on how the application is activated and what it is using to associate the software license to your computer. If I keep the MLB, ROM and custom UUID the same I can switch between SMBIOS & Serial# and nothing gets deactivated. The only thing I would have to do is log back into Creative Cloud.

@niko974 So finally found the solution :headbang:
it seem that i can't use the DVI port of gpu in macOS, when i connect my display via HDMI it boots to OS with gpu successfully recognized (with inject nvidia disabled) ! :D
The DVI port is completely unusable in os x with nvidia web driver, even after booting with display connected to HDMI when i connect another display to DVI port system freezes and get restarted o_O

But when i boot using HDMI i get an annoying problem :problem: screen goes dark for maybe half a second every 6 seconds, just like a macbook pro switching from integrated gpu to discrete , Any idea how to solve that ?

Hi,

Yes it's ok now with HDMI port.

Thank you very much!!!! :headbang:

Just finished my first build.

Serria 10.12

Intel i7 6700k
Gigabyte z170x Gaming 5
Asus GTX 980
32 GB RAM
512 SSD

All seems to be working have not really tested the audio yet but that is secondary to the video drivers. I have downloaded and installed the web drivers, installed them and then ran multibeast. I have tried to set the nVidia drivers as the default but it keeps going back to the OSX drivers.

I also ran the Clover installer and selected the options you show in option 5 and 6. I am at a loss as to how to move forward. I also tried to update to 10.12.2 and then update the drivers but the card would not use the display port anymore. It would also freak out if I tried to use the DVI port. I am hoping to run dual monitors at 4k via the display port.

Back