Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can't update from Big Sur to Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I've had a look again at your EFI. Seems you didn't implement USB! No wonder it wasn't booting.
You had no USBInjectAll, SSDT-UIAC nor USBMap alternative set up. So I have added in the USBInjectAll and enabled XHCIPortLimit for you. Plus a few other ACPI settings. Try the ACPI settings I've set up with this new EFI.
My setup don't need USB mapping. All the ports are recognized and working perfectly using the kexts, aml and settings that I currently have. USB-C with video output, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, webcam, SD card reader and BT. If I map them and add USBPorts.kext to my setup, nothing changes, it all works as always.

Anyway, I tried your new EFI. I can't even start the process with it, it gives a CPU kernel panic right away.

Maybe it will help if you watch a video of my screen when I try to update:

EDIT: OMG, YouTube put the video upside down... xD

Last edited:
My setup don't need USB mapping. All the ports are recognized and working perfectly using the kexts, aml and settings that I currently have. USB-C with video output, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, webcam, SD card reader and BT. If I map them and add USBPorts.kext to my setup, nothing changes, it all works as always.

Anyway, I tried your new EFI. I can't even start the process with it, it gives a CPU kernel panic right away.

Just because it working fine with Big Sur doesn’t mean it will also work with Monterey. At least that’s what most of us have noticed recently. Also ever heard of the phrase ‘Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?’. The reason I changed the APCI over is to see if the system accepts it or not, because it is using the standard settings. Btw I don’t use USBPorts, I used USBInjectAll in the test file.

Keep in Mind This is Beta OS, you may have to change a few things.

You know, not all KPs are bad. In fact it is a good sign. If it kernel panicked it meant that something in your settings was causing that issue.

The reason why I set the ACPI up the way I did was because I wanted to see what was happening to the system.
The ACPIs I placed were all ones that I knew worked on my HP Kaby Lake system (with the same 7500U chip).
In theory it would boot the same.

As it goes I was really going by what you had given me to use. All of those were your kexts, not mine. If they didn't work it meant one or some of your kexts was causing the issue (comparing it against my working HP setup).

Anyways I've had another look at your setup, and set it up to what I think should work this time (or at least to what I would try/use if I had had your system). I've also removed the TSCAdjustReset because I don't think it is required on your setup. I have also moved Whatevergreen back up near the top of the loading sequence. It was near the bottom, which could cause problems. Give it a try.

Attachments

• Shinji3rd EFI 4.zip
    22 MB · Views: 120
I don’t use USBPorts, I used USBInjectAll in the test file
I know. But USBPorts is the result of correctly mapping your usb. USBInjectAll + XHCI patch is just a way of opening all ports and removing the limit, it is not optimal and should not be used except as a way to map the ports correctly (leading to USBPorts.kext). You can use USBInjectAll with an aml file that includes your ports properly mapped, and I see you are including it in the EFI you prepared, but the ports are mapped different to what I have in my laptop. And the XHCI patch must be disabled after mapping the ports.

Anyways I've had another look at your setup, and set it up to what I think should work this time (or at least to what I would try/use if I had had your system). I've also removed the TSCAdjustReset because I don't think it is required on your setup. I have also moved Whatevergreen back up near the top of the loading sequence. It was near the bottom, which could cause problems. Give it a try.
I'll try with this, but I'm pretty sure I need TSCAdjust or CPUTscSync. I'll let you know the results.

EDIT: As I thought, one of the cpu kexts is mandatory (check attached image). Can’t boot without one of them.

EDIT 2: Enabling tscadjust leaving all the other options and settings as is, I don’t have the ACPI cpu error, but the results are the same as always. It starts the process and then restarts.

EDIT 3: I've been reading on the internet that many people have this same problem, and they update either by installing Monterey directly and then restoring apps and settings using a TimeMachine backup or switching from OC to Clover and then to OC again. It definitely is an OpenCore problem. I think I'll have to wait for the next OC update.

EDIT 4: I just mapped the USB ports again correctly, created the USBPorts.kext, put it into the kexts folder and added it to config.plist. I now see only the real ports in hackintool, so it is properly configured. Everything works fine, just as before, in Big Sur. But still can't update to Monterey. Same problem. I hope it can be solved in the next OC update.

Attachments

• 7B47A41D-CFB1-4D5E-ACD7-D05119F601B1.jpeg
    7B47A41D-CFB1-4D5E-ACD7-D05119F601B1.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Ok, I have some news.

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to active a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

- Deleted the APPLE folder inside my EFI folder.
- Enable "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist.
- Leave all the other quirks exactly as I had them.
- Misc -> Security, I set SecureBootModel to Disabled.
- Reboot the system, and in the picker I chose Clear NVRAM.
- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.
- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works, wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

This is now marked as solved. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Ok, I have some news.

After several days testing different things and cleaning my EFI, I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION! It was all about the quirks. Even if it all worked great in Big Sur, for some reason I needed to active a couple more quirks to be able to upgrade to Monterey.

If anyone else has this problem, with that MSU 1130 error or something like that, this is what I did. I don't know if all of this is required, but hey, it's what I did, it solved the issue, and as Monterey is now installed and perfectly working I can't test if some steps are not required, so here's the list of things I did:

- Enable "AllowRelocationBlock", "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist.
- Boot Big Sur. No issues booting. Run the Monterey update again. This time, I had the feeling that it took a little longer than before.
- System reboots, and the update process begin. Everything went smooth, and after some time, Monterey loaded and everything works, wi-fi, bluetooth, graphics acceleration, sound...

One thing doesn't work you did not notice
System do not wake up after sleep it is occured black screen
Perhaps you have working sleep&wake

One thing doesn't work you did not notice
System do not wake up after sleep it is occured black screen
Perhaps you have working sleep&wake
That's right, system does not wake up after sleep, but that's because of TSCAdjustReset. We need an updated/fixed version of CpuTscSync supporting Monterey.

That's right, system does not wake up after sleep, but that's because of TSCAdjustReset. We need an updated/fixed version of CpuTscSync supporting Monterey.
Right we need updated or fixed version of CpuTscSync but i m focusing everytime on acithentera github it has not been fixed yet

Ok, I have some news.

- Enable "AllowRelocationBlock", "ProtectMemoryRegions" and "SyncRuntimePermissions" in the Booter section of my plist.

Ok, I have some news.

Hello. Can you share the EFI folder please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back