Contribute
Register

[Solved] Can't update from Big Sur to Monterey

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is being really strange now. I re-did the EFI folder following Dortania's guide, and taking Middleman's EFI folder in account too, to compare patches and such. I tried different combinations of patches, and even removed my aml and added some new and generic ones. The error persist. I can't update to Monterey. Attached is the EFI folder I'm using now to test. As you can see, it is different than before, and it is pretty clean, so I don't know why I'm still unable to update.

NOTE: I had another update pending. Big Sur beta 5. I updated to it without issues.
I forgot to mention, but for Monterey you need to add in the following to NVRAM > boot-args, and place these at the end of the line:

-lilubetaall -wegbeta -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1

-lilubetaall & -wegbeta are not needed according to the Lilu update notes. I will check about the other two.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, but for Monterey you need to add in the following to NVRAM > boot-args, and place these at the end of the line:

-lilubetaall -wegbeta -no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1
I tried with all these boot-args, even if lilubetaall is not needed in the latest version. Same outcome, can't update.

Last edited:
-lilubetaall & -wegbeta are not needed according to the Lilu update notes. I will check about the other two.
Yes but the OC build I'm using on there is not the latest. It is 0.6.6. and it will work.

EDIT:

I tried with all these boot-args, even if lilubetaall is not needed in the latest version. Same outcome, can't update.
Okay, you can try this one, this works with my current build:

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 1.18.13 PM copy.png

Attachments

• EFI copy.zip
    23.1 MB · Views: 280

EDIT:

or you can try my Monterey efi in the GUIDE section. everything works. been up for 2 days getting it sorted out

EDIT:

Hello. We have the same laptop. Try my EFI folder. Apparently we need a watevergreen update.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 92
First of all: thank you all.

Okay, you can try this one, this works with my current build:
The problem with this one is that it is designed for a different laptop. For example, I don't need ecenabler.kext (there's a new version), notouchid.kext, nor xcci-unsupported.kext. And the usbports.kext is mapped for your laptop model, the configuration will be different in mine. I can just delete those, and replace usbports (or just don't use it at all as I don't need to use it in my current build), but you also use some SSDTs I don't need, and have a couple of useless quirks enabled (applecpupmcfglock is for old processors...)

or you can try my Monterey efi in the GUIDE section. everything works. been up for 2 days getting it sorted out
I know you mentioned that everything works, but you have too many aml files, too many kexts, and some useless quirks. I'm trying to have an install as clean as possible. And as with another's EFI, your EFI is for a different system, so it lacks some patches I need, and have many that I don't need.

Hello. We have the same laptop. Try my EFI folder. Apparently we need a watevergreen update.
Not the same laptop, you have an HP. I don't know why you have smcdellsensors.kext as you don't need it. BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext is only for Big Sur, must be replaced with bluetoolfixup.kext on Monterey. Applecpupmsfglock quirk is for old processors, syncruntimepermissions is not needed, and so on.

What I can see is that people are able to update to Monterey without many problems, like you all, and even with not optimized EFI folders. Quirks that are not needed, bloated SSDTs, kexts that are not for their systems (and even old kexts instead of the latest versions)... And hey, it's OK, don't fix it if it's not broken, but what is puzzling me is that I don't know why I can't update like everyone else, if I don't have too many patches, I only have one aml, the kexts are up to date (and I only use those relevant for my system) and I'm testing quirks to use as few as possible. I'm sure there is just ONE thing messing it all, and I need to find what it is.

Last edited:
I know you mentioned that everything works, but you have too many aml files, too many kexts, and some useless quirks. I'm trying to have an install as clean as possible. And as with another's EFI, your EFI is for a different system, so it lacks some patches I need, and have many that I don't need.
we also have different laptops. My 4k TOUCH screen requires a few different kexts and aml files, however, it wouldn't hurt to have a look and see what's helping us install and boot, and what's preventing you from doing so

we also have different laptops. My 4k TOUCH screen requires a few different kexts and aml files, however, it wouldn't hurt to have a look and see what's helping us install and boot, and what's preventing you from doing so
I know. It's what I've been doing. The only thing I saw that you all three have and I do not is a dtgp device. Two of you have it in ssdt-plug, and the other one in ssdt-olarilla. It's not mandatory, but I decided to add ssdt-plug in my config. Sadly, the outcome hasn't changed.

I know. It's what I've been doing. The only thing I saw that you all three have and I do not is a dtgp device. Two of you have it in ssdt-plug, and the other one in ssdt-olarilla. It's not mandatory, but I decided to add ssdt-plug in my config. Sadly, the outcome hasn't changed.
What EFI did you use to get the installer going and start to installer? are you installing on an internal hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back