Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
something like that in the BIOS

View attachment 354913

Ivy Bridge HD4000 IGPU, set the connector-less frame buffer ig-platform-id = 0x01620007
enable Inject Intel
disable Inject Nvidia
rename GFX0 -> IGPU
rename PEGP -> GFX0

Alright did all the above, but sadly endet up in a boot loop with black screen after the first apple logo.
It's too bad because the rest is working perfectly just not the preview with jpg.

Alright did all the above, but sadly endet up in a boot loop with black screen after the first apple logo.
Fist you should check if you have the devices you rename in ioreg.
Just search for it in the searchbox and click the item and then remove the searchtext to get more information.

If your iGPU is on GFX0 you rename it to IGPU.
If your dGPU is on PEGP you rename it to GFX0.
(Optionally search for all other known renames and apply them if you need to)

Then set your primary display to PCIE in BIOS.
In my case the IGPU option is very poorly named and hidden. I have to activate IGPU-Multimonitor then the memory setting appears and then I have to change back to PCIE while leaving the Multimonitor setting enabled.

And I had the same boot loop, so I just let it loop until it worked. After that it always booted correctly.

Edit:
Just found out you already found it^^
Well which SMBIOS are you using?
Maybe you need the board-id-check patch if the screen stays black after the first apple logo.

Last edited:
Find out which ig-platform-id your CPU need. This guide has a list.
Follow instructions here to add ig-platform-id to config.plist.

Thank you.
I have it up and running now.. followed the steps in the guide and wolla it works just fine.

Great and thanks for the help to all.

Does the attached version work?
Default Clover/InjectIntel properties causes very slow boot on my system, InjectIntel=false + WhateverGreen might work better. Maybe consider using a desktop ig-platform-id with zero connectors.
I have tried the new release on my system but it did not work as well. I will leave my IGPU enabled and wih the use of -disablegfxfirmware in Boot section of Clover my system starts fast again. I don't know what this parameter really do but in my case it solves all problems. I can see that both adapters are working. The second system for my son has Mac Pro 5,1 SMBIOS now as it has sleep problems when I enable IGPU. Thanks for your help. I guess in a while there will be a working fix.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-10-03 om 17.28.49.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-10-03 om 17.28.49.png
    232.7 KB · Views: 83
Are you still able to play DRM content IE movies on iTunes and not Trailers they are generally not protected by DRM! We are all here for a fix but if it breaks something else is it really a Fix?

I cannot play DRM content either (enabled onboard GPUs in Bios)

Well this has turned into a very useful thread - from what was a new Mojave problem being solved to much more useful detail.:thumbup:

I really think to avoid confusion for Radeon QuickLook/Preview problems @vulgo 's kext is the easiest solution by far. I know many people prefer to use as few kexts as they can but as @itwas points out, we are giving macOS unfamiliar hardware to deal with. There has to be some kind of emulation or bridge to get it working.

Also found the Board ID patch @MacBobs quotes very interesting too.

Reminds me a little of the Nvidia iBooks problem a while back, that too introduced by an upgrade and heavily influenced by whether or not an iGPU was installed.

Brilliant community here, solving all sorts of stuff.

Since I installed @vulgo 's kext Quicklook/Preview has given no trouble. I have Whatevergreen installed as well because I know it's greasing the gears in there. Seems more reliable than RadeonDeInit=true and helps HDMI audio in some configurations. I still have the iGPU on "Auto" so basically off as far as macOS is concerned and the RX560 appears as GFX0 with no need for patch. Oh, and sys-def is still iMac14,2 though I'm researching a move to the 18,* series.

iTunes DRM video plays fine in a pop-out window. Not sure if that is new functionality. It used to play within the iTunes window.

:)

Well this has turned into a very useful thread - from what was a new Mojave problem being solved to much more useful detail.:thumbup:

I really think to avoid confusion for Radeon QuickLook/Preview problems @vulgo 's kext is the easiest solution by far. I know many people prefer to use as few kexts as they can but as @itwas points out, we are giving macOS unfamiliar hardware to deal with. There has to be some kind of emulation or bridge to get it working.

Also found the Board ID patch @MacBobs quotes very interesting too.

Reminds me a little of the Nvidia iBooks problem a while back, that too introduced by an upgrade and heavily influenced by whether or not an iGPU was installed.

Brilliant community here, solving all sorts of stuff.

Since I installed @vulgo 's kext Quicklook/Preview has given no trouble. I have Whatevergreen installed as well because I know it's greasing the gears in there. Seems more reliable than RadeonDeInit=true and helps HDMI audio in some configurations. I still have the iGPU on "Auto" so basically off as far as macOS is concerned and the RX560 appears as GFX0 with no need for patch. Oh, and sys-def is still iMac14,2 though I'm researching a move to the 18,* series.

iTunes DRM video plays fine in a pop-out window. Not sure if that is new functionality. It used to play within the iTunes window.

When using WhateverGreen, it should do the device renaming for you automatically.

When using the latest WhateverGreen, Inject Intel, RadeonDeInit, etc. should NOT be enabled in config.plist.

Yes, latest iTunes plays videos in a popup window for me too. So far, it appears that having IGPU disabled allows iTunes DRM videos to be played. Having IGPU enabled seems to cause problems.

When using WhateverGreen, it should do the device renaming for you automatically.

When using the latest WhateverGreen, Inject Intel, RadeonDeInit, etc. should NOT be enabled in config.plist.

Yes, latest iTunes plays videos in a popup window for me too. So far, it appears that having IGPU disabled allows iTunes DRM videos to be played. Having IGPU enabled seems to cause problems.

Ah good, re the DRM. Wasn't sure if I was just lucky but with a side-effect. Glad it's "normal".

The other two points - totally agree. Whatevergreen ensures the RX 560 is labelled correctly. In Sierra it's a Radeon 560 Pro without it etc. but works fine using RadeonDeInit.

@pastrychef can I ask for your EFI folder? would love to see if I can find out the differences that aren't obvious

@pastrychef can I ask for your EFI folder? would love to see if I can find out the differences that aren't obvious

It's posted in my Z370 build thread. Link is below in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back