Contribute
Register

Quicklook Doesn't Preview jpgs, mp3 nor mp4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this should be a new topic....I'm not 100% sure if it's related.

I think I have some stability...JPG, Video, DRM, Quickview, etc. all seem to run.
However when I open Photos my hack stutters and eventually all video freezes.

I have to reboot and quickly exit Photos app, then reboot again, to fix.

Photos does say it's uploading a shitload.....not sure if this has anything to do with the Freeze.

any thoughts is greatly appreciated.

I use iMac16,2 and everything is working perfectly. IGPU is disabled. If I stray out of this id then only hdmi works and my dp ports won't.
No injections and no WhateverGreen

You know what @pastrychef you are dead right that is what I thought but was the only id I could seem to get everything to work ok, I had a play around and changed the id to 18,3 and copied in a fresh copy of of WhateverGreen and checked my iGpu settings as I thought it was set to disable. Turns out it was set to auto so changed it to enabled and now everything works just fine on the new id. Thanks for giving me a prod which made me have a closer look :)

Well this has turned into a very useful thread - from what was a new Mojave problem being solved to much more useful detail.:thumbup:

I really think to avoid confusion for Radeon QuickLook/Preview problems @vulgo 's kext is the easiest solution by far.

What is this kext you speak of?

Well this has turned into a very useful thread - from what was a new Mojave problem being solved to much more useful detail.:thumbup:

I know many people prefer to use as few kexts as they can but as @itwas points out, we are giving macOS unfamiliar hardware to deal with.

:)

In my research trying to make my system not crash with iTunes and world of warcraft running at the same time. I have not seen a change in how the computer behaves with the exception of quicklook and DRM function under different configurations of the SM, kext, renames and IGPU, I found the most effect was a ProSM with no renames and like three kext. FakeSMC, Intel one for network, the the inject 200 for good measure. With a USB SSDT.

Sorry if this should be a new topic....I'm not 100% sure if it's related.

I think I have some stability...JPG, Video, DRM, Quickview, etc. all seem to run.
However when I open Photos my hack stutters and eventually all video freezes.

I have to reboot and quickly exit Photos app, then reboot again, to fix.

Photos does say it's uploading a shitload.....not sure if this has anything to do with the Freeze.

any thoughts is greatly appreciated.

I had this problem.
My solution was deleting the photos library and then recreate it. (Fortunately for me, my photos are on my NAS)

What is this kext you speak of?

In my research trying to make my system not crash with iTunes and world of warcraft running at the same time. I have not seen a change in how the computer behaves with the exception of quicklook and DRM function under different configurations of the SM, kext, renames and IGPU, I found the most effect was a ProSM with no renames and like three kext. FakeSMC, Intel one for network, the the inject 200 for good measure. With a USB SSDT.

Great that you get the best results using minimal modifications :thumbup:

It's always a good idea to use only the minimum of what is required to get a machine running well. If your hardware matches an Apple configuration closely then you need only a few of them.

So much of the trickery needed to convince macOS it's running on real Apple hardware is taken care of by Clover at boot with masks and renames. However we build so many variations of components it can't cover everything. For example, as far as I know no one has ever found a third-party audio chipset that matches an Apple one. They tend to use Cirrus Logic etc. in the machines I've owned. But that's a different topic entirely ...

The QuickLook/Preview "bug" only seems to have appeared with Mojave so it looks as though Apple has changed something "under the hood".

It's always a good idea to use only the minimum of what is required to get a machine running well. If your hardware matches an Apple configuration closely then you need only a few of them.

It is not running well, it runs the same in that it crashes with or without Kexts or renames in clover. Blank worked as well as filled in.

It is not running well, it runs the same in that it crashes with or without Kexts or renames in clover. Blank worked as well as filled in.

Check the crash logs to find out what and where they are occurring.

Maybe copy your EFI folder to somewhere safe as a backup, then check what kexts you have, and where, for your hardware (EFI/CLOVER/kexts - S/L/E & L/E) remove all and boot from Unibeast. Then run MultiBeast again. Hopefully that should resolve crashes. This is basically like a fresh install. If something goes wrong you can copy back your old EFI and at least boot back to where you were. (Sorry I've never used a Vega GPU but I guess they are natively supported? Check @Gigamaxx 's threads for great info).

For sure your motherboard should cause minimal hassle as it's one of the easiest to Hackintosh.

:thumbup:

I had this problem.
My solution was deleting the photos library and then recreate it. (Fortunately for me, my photos are on my NAS)

I tried deleting and then redownloaded everything to a new library. No joy, problem came back.
Also took the library offline (no iCloud), still ended up freezing.
Not sure, but think it’s related to heic format.

My system also freezes if I go into desktops.....new Mojave’s desktops also have heic containers.

When using WhateverGreen, it should do the device renaming for you automatically.

When using the latest WhateverGreen, Inject Intel, RadeonDeInit, etc. should NOT be enabled in config.plist.

Yes, latest iTunes plays videos in a popup window for me too. So far, it appears that having IGPU disabled allows iTunes DRM videos to be played. Having IGPU enabled seems to cause problems.

Did you try to add "shikigva=1" as boot arg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back