Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, sorry for my very belated answer.
I think you put the finger on why it's not working: the frameworks didn't get replaced. You followed the proper section of the guide BUT (and it's a big but) if I got why you said correctly you downloaded the wrong archive. You should have downloaded the one named nvidia_10_8_2.zip (the second one). Yeah it's kinda confusing that the second download corresponds to the first section of the fix but as a matter of fact the forum's software presents attachments in reverse download order.

What you can do is try to boot in safe mode and reapply the complete fix with the correct zip.
There you go, I hope it works; keep me informed if it doesn't.

Hi, I actually used the nvidia_10_8_2.zip file, although I didn't notice an error message by sudo related to PAM. I've just done again the same commands with the same zip in a root shell (without sudo) and it worked! I am now able to boot in normal mode.
I also applied the OpenCL patch, and both wobbling effect when long-clicking apps on Launchpad and the built-in Chess app work. Sleep and resume are also working perfectly.
However, as soon as I launched Diablo III, I got an instant system freeze. The Diablo icon didn't even finish the usual zoom-in animation which is performed on double-click. Is this a known issue? If not, where to look for logs?
Many thanks for your support ;)

Hi, I actually used the nvidia_10_8_2.zip file, although I didn't notice an error message by sudo related to PAM. I've just done again the same commands with the same zip in a root shell (without sudo) and it worked! I am now able to boot in normal mode.
I also applied the OpenCL patch, and both wobbling effect when long-clicking apps on Launchpad and the built-in Chess app work. Sleep and resume are also working perfectly.
However, as soon as I launched Diablo III, I got an instant system freeze. The Diablo icon didn't even finish the usual zoom-in animation which is performed on double-click. Is this a known issue? If not, where to look for logs?
Many thanks for your support ;)

I'm glad you solved your problem. I mentioned the PAM error in my post and it doesn't affect the copy operation. As a matter of fact I didn't even notice it the first time around because like you I did everything from a root shell.

Concerning system freezes and Diablo III you can bet that there are those dreaded "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!" in your system log (/var/log/system.log).
Unfortunately there's nothing much to do because this installation method for the Nvidia's driver remains a huge hack.
The problem is that this driver was written for 10.8.1 (as mentioned in its download notes) and a lot of its dependencies were updated by the 10.8.2 update, hence the method I described which rolls back the minimum necessary dependencies for the driver to load. But of course we cannot roll back everything otherwise we would ultimately end back up with 10.8.1.

I don't have Diablo III (I used to play Diablo 2 way back when) but I can tell you that WebGL content in Safari will pretty much freeze my system every time. Same thing with Opera Next when used with hardware acceleration on. Fortunately WebGL works without freezes in Chrome and I hardy ever use Opera.
I know that Unigine Heaven works now whereas it used to completely lock my machine prior to the fix.

As for Diablo may be the best solution for now would be to stay with 10.8.1 until Nvidia updates its driver (if ever) or Apple releases 10.8.3 with hopefully an updated and working driver.

some questions...vczilla method is to do before or after 10.8.2 install?

and then when he says:

i have to copy frameworks folder from the backup done in the first step of this guide?

1 - Yes it should be applied after the 10.8.2 update.
I posted it for people who, like me, hastily updated to 10.8.2 and whose systems weren't working properly anymore. (Identical symptoms to vanilla 10.8.1).

2 - No the backup is just that, a backup. The necessary files (frameworks included) are in the attachment at the end of the post called "nvidia_10_8_2.zip".

I am asking again. Does HDMI works. The fix worked great for me, but Hdmi does not work. I have a gt430

I am asking again. Does HDMI works. The fix worked great for me, but Hdmi does not work. I have a gt430

My 550ti has two DVI ports and one HDMI. All is working, I have a 22 LCD monitor connected to DVI and one 42 LCD TV connected to HDMI, and everything is working fine.

My 550ti has two DVI ports and one HDMI. All is working, I have a 22 LCD monitor connected to DVI and one 42 LCD TV connected to HDMI, and everything is working fine.

Mine gt430 has 1 dvi 1 vga and 1 hdmi. Dvi and vga works togeather and one at a time. When I have dvi only and plug the hdmi I get 2 black screens. Any ideas? Except of this fix I have installed from multibeast 4.6.1 and 5.0 all the kexts and utilities for nvidia. Maybe I would do a new clean install to another disk and see if hdmi works with only nvidia drivers and this fix

Mine gt430 has 1 dvi 1 vga and 1 hdmi. Dvi and vga works togeather and one at a time. When I have dvi only and plug the hdmi I get 2 black screens. Any ideas? Except of this fix I have installed from multibeast 4.6.1 and 5.0 all the kexts and utilities for nvidia. Maybe I would do a new clean install to another disk and see if hdmi works with only nvidia drivers and this fix

I'm sure that's the problem, you do not have to install anything from Multibeast, only nvidia drivers. Nvidia patches on Multibeast are old.

THank you. Is there a way to remove them?

I'm sure that's the problem, you do not have to install anything from Multibeast, only nvidia drivers. Nvidia patches on Multibeast are old.

Thanks vczillia,but your tutorial do not work for me, I can get to the home screen but when I type the password I can not reach the desktop, back again to the Home screen. I am using a GT430 running on ML 10.8.2

Without apply your tutorial each thing in my hackintosh works OK, sleep, dual monitor, HDMI audio etc etc etc, but awakening the hackintosh the screen is frozen, but can move the mouse ... the unique way of escape of the situation is restarting the hackintosh ... ideas?

Thanks

I had the same problem. I fixed by extracting the kexts from the nvidia official drivers and installed them with kext wizard

Thanks vczillia,but your tutorial do not work for me, I can get to the home screen but when I type the password I can not reach the desktop, back again to the Home screen. I am using a GT430 running on ML 10.8.2

Without apply your tutorial each thing in my hackintosh works OK, sleep, dual monitor, HDMI audio etc etc etc, but awakening the hackintosh the screen is frozen, but can move the mouse ... the unique way of escape of the situation is restarting the hackintosh ... ideas?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back