Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! First of all, thank you, but the file you have attached only have GeForce.kext inside, so GeForceGL.bundle is still missing.

There seems to be a "bit" of confusion here. ML will not even load with any version of the Lion Geforce kext. (The GeForceGL.bundle will load as they are similar) The Lion GeForce kext is so far removed from the ML version that ML would not load it at all. Which is why the user posted that QE CI is missing from his system. Test my theory and change the ML GeForce.kext to GeForce.kext.backup, reboot and you will achieve exactly the same thing as you would by using these 2 Lion kexts. ML will load, but no QE CI. And guess what? Sleep works. The poster is right that the GeForce.kext is the key to the answer, but you don't need to go as far as replacing ML kexts with Lion kexts to see that. Just trying to save you wasted time and effort. Just don't forget to remove the .backup and reboot so you can get QE CI back again.

The poster is right that the GeForce.kext is the key to the answer, but you don't need to go as far as replacing ML kexts with Lion kexts to see that. Just trying to save you wasted time and effort. Just don't forget to remove the .backup and reboot so you can get QE CI back again.

I had yesterday successfully loaded the Lion Geforce kext but your explanation make sense.
Off course I checked too your completely right. Just removed the GeforceKext only from ML is enough as workaround ... sort off because no QE/CI isn't a mackintosh.
At least we are now coming somewhere ... Next step ?

Maybe just wait till nVidia or Apple releases new video drivers ?

Cheers !

So basically you're saying that if I replace the kext and bundle files sleep will work as well as connecting a second screen or powering off and on the screen, BUT QE/CI will not work, making 3D apps and games unusable. It's something like if I boot the system in safe mode.

I had yesterday successfully loaded the Lion Geforce kext but your explanation make sense.
Off course I checked too your completely right. Just removed the GeforceKext only from ML is enough as workaround ... sort off because no QE/CI isn't a mackintosh.
At least we are now coming somewhere ... Next step ?

Trying ML DP's Geforce Kexts ? DP1 - DP2 - DP3 - DP4 ? Maybe ? or just wait till nVidia or Apple releases new video drivers ?

Cheers !

This problem has existed since ML DP1. No-one was able to fix it then either. We were all hoping the Nvidia drivers would have been fixed by the time the GM was released But sadly, no. There are many real Macs out there with the same issue. So Apple or Nvidia are going to have to come to the party.

By hex editing I was able to now benchmark with Luxmark, OpenCLOceanwave and full screen on Unigine Heaven on my EVGA 550 ti 2gb graphics card. Wake is still an issue however.

It looks like we cannot modify the GeforceGLDriver in 10.8. I can't find those values as we found in 10.7.

Thread on some benchmarking tools and Netkas mod:

http://www.insanely-mac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268209

By hex editing I was able to now benchmark with Luxmark, OpenCLOceanwave and full screen on Unigine Heaven on my EVGA 550 ti 2gb graphics card. Wake is still an issue however.

It looks like we cannot modify the GeforceGLDriver in 10.8. I can't find those values as we found in 10.7.

Thread on some benchmarking tools and Netkas mod:

http://www.insanely-mac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268209

What edit did you do to allow this? Was it the same one from earlier or a different hex edit? I have the exact same card and if you could post what you did I can try and duplicate it.

While sleep / wake is an issue for me its not as big of an issue as my games being unusable after 10 or so minutes due to choppiness.

This problem has existed since ML DP1. No-one was able to fix it then either. We were all hoping the Nvidia drivers would have been fixed by the time the GM was released But sadly, no. There are many real Macs out there with the same issue. So Apple or Nvidia are going to have to come to the party.

I'll think this explanation gives the answer to all thoughts so we just have to wait for nvidia drivers to be published soon.
I also found articles posted on apple support with people with same issues as well ... Strange for a multibillion worth company that they use
a small test team for quality testing and even messages of this issue starting at DP1 are heard or fixed either.

I found somebody who claims that he can fix it by just fixing Fermi things into a DSDT ... can that argument make sense ?
... He is rebuilding my DSDT to test ....

So basically you're saying that if I replace the kext and bundle files sleep will work as well as connecting a second screen or powering off and on the screen, BUT QE/CI will not work, making 3D apps and games unusable. It's something like if I boot the system in safe mode.

Exactly ! but it doesn't make any difference if you load the replaced Geforce Kext from 10.7 or drop (removed / rename) kext loading of Geforce kext 10.8.

It is a known issue... patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back