Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:'(

Edit: Found something useful, this post isn't clutter after all.

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1710

I'm not sure what this guy did, but it seems like it worked. I don't know if that got him to just base functionality or if it involved graphics acceleration and sleep as well, though.

Ill think this is a fix to enable graphics. The guy starting the post was complaining that he had no graphics... thats not our problem.

AWESOME NEWS ....

I booted in safemode with -x and guess what everything is working WAKE from sleep = YES ! Screen Resolution =Yes | Power Off Monitor Power On monitor bluescreen but screens are restored as they should.

I noticed that Geforce.kext isn't loaded but NVDAResman + NVDAGF100Hal are loaded.

See both Attachments (Kextstat normal boot and kextstat booted in safe mode)

No QE/CI !

Attachments

• KestStat-NormalBoot(withissues).pdf
    17.9 KB · Views: 435
  • KestStat-SafeBoot.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 319
Do you get QE/CI in safemode?
EDIT: NO.

Ill think this is a fix to enable graphics. The guy starting the post was complaining that he had no graphics... thats not our problem.

AWESOME NEWS ....

I booted in safemode with -x and guess what everything is working WAKE from sleep = YES ! Screen Resolution =Yes | Power Off Monitor Power On monitor bluescreen but screens are restored as they should.

I noticed that Geforce.kext isn't loaded but NVDAResman + NVDAGF100Hal are loaded.

See both Attachments (Kextstat normal boot and kextstat booted in safe mode)

No QE/CI !

Then it looks like GeForce.kext is the problem?

Based on the past few posts, I did some testing. Yeah- -x solves the wake/sleep issue. The problem though is, you have no opengl, qe/ci acceleration.

Tried removing/rolling back GeForce- same story- the 10.8 drivers are too different to mismatch with 10.7.4 kexts.

For now, best case scenario is not to sleep your display or system for the time being. Or use integrated gpu if that's an option. I'm sure some kind of fix will develop.

i can now confirm, in save mode (-x) Monitor Off/On is working.
i can now confirm, in save mode (-x) SleepEnabler is working.

No Glitches, No Blue Screen, No White Screen.

But this works only if i have not overclocked my Hackintosh, otherwise it crashes as soon i wake up from sleep.

So what's next step we should look in to it?

Then it looks like GeForce.kext is the problem?

Maybe thats too optimistic thinking. I attached both kextstat outputs. One made in SafeMode and the other after the normal boot causing the wake issues.

Maybe somebody can script a comparison check because I noticed 3 situations.

Some kexts are loaded only in Safe
Some kexts are loaded only in normal state
Some kexts are loaded both

I'll think that every possible difference between Safe and Normal loaded kexts can be casuing the problem ...

Has anyone tried editing the voltages on their cards to ensure that the freeze/crashes aren't caused by wild swings in OSX's power management? I booted into Windows to show you what I've edited. While this didn't give me complete stability against the Fermi Freeze in either Snow Leopard or Lion, it definitely helped improve both stability and overall GUI performance. The default p-state for GTX460 is 50mhz, single-handedly explaining why many Fermi card users find animations like swapping spaces and opening dock folders somewhat stutery at first.

I used GPU-Z to extract my BIOS and the latest version of NiBiTor to edit the voltage and speeds. You can find a guide to editing your card's BIOS here - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=336117

The two big takeaways are this - I bumped up the lowest voltage and chip at the lowest state to be closer to the next state. What was initially 50mhz at 0.875V is now 200mhz at 0.925-0.95V. While I raised the voltage on the lowest state on my card, I was able (after much testing) to overclock my card while also lowering its top voltage - so 720mhz @ 1.1V to 800mhz @ 0.9875V.

Overall I tried to keep the voltage steps relatively smooth and with overlap, ensuring that there's enough power to spare if the card ever quickly bumps from it's low state to high. Additionally, I paired this with an edited AGPM that essentially removes the 200mhz default. The GPU seems to remain at 405mhz even when sitting at the desktop with no movement. For those worried about temps - there doesn't seem to be much difference between Windows and OSX while engaging in my usual geeky computer activities - reading news sites, occasional Photoshop work, email check, an occasional 3D screen saver when I walk away, etc. Right now the card sits at 405mhz/200mhz (gpu/mem) at 41C in Windows. Before I left OSX to write this post, the GPU was at 405mhz/???mhz and reading 38C.

origclocks.png
editclocks.png

origvolt.png
editvolt.png

I hope this helps some of you!

Oh, once you edited your BIOS, you can reflash your card's BIOS right from Windows. I've done this dozens of times with no corruption, but YMMV. I will not be responsible if your card goes up in smoke. In fact, I may laugh.

You can find the Windows version of NVFlash here - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2133/NVFlash_5.118_for_Windows.html

As I wrote earlier, some combination of my card's edited BIOS, my edited AGPM settings is allowing me to run Mountain Lion with none of the system-killing instability of the past. I've only seen one glitch coming out of a screen saver, but that issue resolve itself quickly. No Kernel Panic since I moved up from Lion

Ive noticed that when i boot into safe mode, going in and out of display and computer sleep is no problem. has anyone else noticed this? what is it that safe mode is not loading as opposed to normal booting? im using GTX 550 Ti

Yes, I noticed that, and commented about it on this same thread. In safe Mode everything works fine, except full 3d accelleration of course.

EDIT: SO, Scorcho, you're using your GTX 550ti with ML and having none of the problems listed here? Like turning off and on your monitor ending in blu screen, changing resolution ending in that same blu screen (or a black one), wake/sleep issues, freezes after starting some game or 3d screensaver (or exiting it).

Does the freezing issue still happen if AGPM is disabled?

Does the freezing issue still happen if AGPM is disabled?

Yes, AGPM is not the problem. In fact, AGPM lowers the overall temperature for the GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back