Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I was nervous about getting my 560ti because of this thread, but I got it yesterday and there are no issues. I figured I'd still report back here to help narrow down the problem.

I ordered a 560ti 448 core with 1.2gb vram. Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069RZ0LW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Anyway, I did a clean Mountain Lion install and everything went smoothly. Rebooted, ran multibeast for UserDSDT, ethernet, sound, and chimera. I have full resolution, hardware acceleration, and qe/ci. I've plugged/unplugged monitors, turned monitors off/on, let the display sleep, let the computer sleep--no issues. I ran xbench to test opencl/gl and everything is fine. My board is a z68xp-ud4 on the f6 bios.

If there's any more info Tony or the rest of you need, let me know and I'll get it after work.

Does anyone have graphics acceleration working for these cards? Is that supposed to work OOB?

Does anyone have graphics acceleration working for these cards? Is that supposed to work OOB?

See my post 5min before yours. It's a 560ti 448, but yes, OOB.

Just found this Tony article : http://tonymacx86.blogspot.nl/2010/01/advanced-dsdt-fixes-nvidia-graphics.html

There is an option to lower the VRAM ammount in the DSDT file. Tony you wrote the article. Can this be a solution / workarround to force a lower ammount to be indentified by the OS on the Fermi cards ?

Ok, so I was nervous about getting my 560ti because of this thread, but I got it yesterday and there are no issues. I figured I'd still report back here to help narrow down the problem.

I ordered a 560ti 448 core with 1.2gb vram. Here it is on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069RZ0LW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Anyway, I did a clean Mountain Lion install and everything went smoothly. Rebooted, ran multibeast for UserDSDT, ethernet, sound, and chimera. I have full resolution, hardware acceleration, and qe/ci. I've plugged/unplugged monitors, turned monitors off/on, let the display sleep, let the computer sleep--no issues. I ran xbench to test opencl/gl and everything is fine. My board is a z68xp-ud4 on the f6 bios.

If there's any more info Tony or the rest of you need, let me know and I'll get it after work.

Getting closer here? So maybe the 1GB versions have (bootloader) issues due to the VRAM that is available/recognized.
Thanks for the info.

So I had a tiny issue coming out of a 3D screensaver where the monitor also shut down due to energy saver timings. After waking back up, the screen froze for a few seconds but the mouse still moved. About 15 seconds later everything went back to normal with no corruption on the screen. My console showed this -

8/8/12 10:58:07.000 AM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Apple/NVidia still have crappy drivers, though they're improved over the last two system releases. It's been a few hours later and I haven't rebooted the system. Outside the 15 seconds I mentioned above there have been no other issues with the video card.

Yeah, I can run my computer perfectly smoothly for hours with no problems... unless I try to run a 3D game, in which case the game crashes. Which is unfortunate because that's kind of why I bought the graphics card in the first place. =/ (Sleep still doesn't work either of course...)

Yeah, I can run my computer perfectly smoothly for hours with no problems... unless I try to run a 3D game, in which case the game crashes. Which is unfortunate because that's kind of why I bought the graphics card in the first place. =/ (Sleep still doesn't work either of course...)

Your Graphics Card is not bad at all. Sadly the Mountain Lion and the new (GeForce Drivers) are a Nightmare. this is how it looks to me.

I know it's ~$100, but Windows is better for gaming anyway. You get a larger selection, and the drivers will always be better. You'll never get the gaming performance on OSX or linux that you get on Windows. It still sucks, because you should at least be able to play a game or two, but it's definitely worthwhile to have a Win7 partition if you're trying to play modern games.

I should also mention, I haven't installed any games yet, so for all I know they may crash on my setup. It's just the freezing issues that I have (luckily) not experienced.

Just another me too. evga gtx 550 ti, same issues, same errors logged

08/08/2012 21:23:33.000 kernel[0]: 00000069
08/08/2012 21:23:33.000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error
08/08/2012 21:23:53.000 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

fwiw I've had random hard freezes since buying this card (the fan went on my Asus GTS 250) even in Lion. So it's something of an improvement that I can now ssh in and issue a reboot.

Seriously considering downgrading to the GTS250 (I bought a new fan eventually :) and selling the GTX 550 ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back